Movement Sensors Does Not Cost As Much As You Think (1 Viewer)

Nadenza

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 625
Exp
on and off for 12 years
Hi
I am new to this website, but in my frustration, I thought I would join, just to air my views.
We bought our new Swift Kon-tiki 625 last week, all 8mtrs of it, and within an hour we had hit it.
We had drove into a car park, and parked away from others, but on coming out of the restaurant, we found that some had parked quite close, not giving us much room for reversing, my partner reversed back, into a 2 bay space, and all ok, but on pulling away, he hit the car with the back corner as it turned and kicked out, it slid all the way down the side. doing about 2k worth of damage to the car. although used to driving a motor home that was 7.5 mtrs long, this he miss judged it, with the extra 2 ft.
My moan is, that given that a motorhome is mostly very long, why the hec, is there not parking sensors around the thing ? On querying this with the dealer, asking how much it would cost to fit some on, he told me about £250 - £280 ! IS THAT ALL ? We would have had them fitted had we known they were so little. I expected £500 - £1000.
2 moans, this would cost next to nothing, when fitted during manufacture, and why, if they cost so little are they not offered, as an extra ? ALSO - spending around, 70k WHY is there not a Sat Nav fitted as standard ??? surely these two items, are a must on such a vehicle. I have duly pointed this out to Swift, and have had no reply. we will be having the sensors fitted now, when the van goes back for repair. So, if you are buying new, please make sure you have them on, its money better spent than fancy gadgets etc, taking in all the hassle, loss of no claims etc. I am disappointed that Swift has not made a comment, I know we are to blame, but if the van that cost nearly 70k had them on, we would not have had this accident, also, the lady whose car it was, is very distraught, having also suffered some personal trauma only the week before, all this would not have happened, had we had them on.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Oops, welcome

A rather steep learning curve

Firstly the parking, you seem to have done the right thing in parking with plenty of room round you, but next time try to park where you have a straight line out without needing to manoeuvre, you might need to walk a few more yards, but well worth the effort

I am not too sure parking sensors would have avoided the side impact, to be blunt that is why MH's are fitted with door mirrors, I think this would still have happened even with reversing sensors.

I am slightly confused as to why you did not have them on your first MH but expected them on the new one?

Anyway, it has happened, blame will not make any difference now, breath deeply, move on (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As with others not sure how effective rear facing proximity sensors would be as it's the "side" that hits the obstruction.
When manoeuvring in tight spaces the other half is the eyes and ears for obstructions at rear \ side. Knew I'd fine a reason for taking her along (eventually).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't see how you can blame the manufacture for you own lack of driving skills. There as far larger vehicles around that don't have them, they appear to cope OK.
As you said they can easily be fitted so you could have had them before you picked up the van.
I certainly wouldn't want a manufacturer fitted satnav they are likely to either fit a cheap Tomtom or Garmin or a customised one where map updates cost a fortune, much prefer to choose my own and fit my own.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I thought I would join, just to air my views
Hi Nadenza and welcome to FUN!

I'm sorry to read of your misfortune with your new motorhome but unfortunately these things sometimes happen and we have to live with them and then get on with the enjoyment of motorhome life.

Just as a point of interest you say that "my partner reversed back" ... I would suggest that in any such tight situation you should be outside the rear of the vehicle, in full view of the mirrors, to give your partner a guide as necessary.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Welcome to FUN, and sorry to hear about this upsetting experience. The overhang can be a difficult thing to manage.

You say "we" so I assume there were at least 2 of you in the mh. Your co-pilot - on foot outside the van - is the cheapest proximity sensor you can have (though you do need to have well-rehearsed communications signals).

I do sympathise though. But while city-centre travelling commercial lorries still don't have them, I don't see mh's having them fitted as standard.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Sounds like a bit of frustration coming to the surface.
Rear overhang and 'tail swing' is always a problem, and is something you have to learn to deal with.
I don't have sensors fitted, you learn to 'feel' what is happening at the rear. It comes with experience, i'm afraid, and as you were new to this vehicle, extra caution should have been shown.
Annoying it may be, and expensive it certainly is. Such a shame, but, onwards and upwards.
There are lots of things that 'should' be fitted at the factory, but aren't.
One of you should have been outside in this situation, watching carefully.
Please don't let this mishap deter you from enjoying what you have purchased, it will get better.

Craig

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Welcome and oops
Sorry to read of your incident
Sensors are an asset yes but first and formost is rear view mirrors and driving abilties / skill most larger motorhomes have a long overhang and you have to allow for that at all times ,hope your insurance premium didn't suffer too much .
welcome-sign11-1.gif

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I see a couple of mentions above about rear-facing proximity sensors not having helped - you can get them along the sides to protect cyclists.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I see a couple of mentions above about rear-facing parking sensors not having helped - you can get them along the sides to protect cyclists.
Rear parking sensors only usually activate when reverse gear is activated. How do side facing ones cope with traffic passing or at, say, traffic lights? Surely they don't continually bleep?

OP
OP
N

Nadenza

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 625
Exp
on and off for 12 years
HI
I am not blaming anyone but ourselves, just trying to point out to others, how easy it is to have an accident, as that is what it was. I just think that when fitting these out, with lots of 'bells and whistles' 2 of the most obvious things have been missed off. had we had some on, it would have bleeped and we would have stopped, simple as that. and I am trying to point out to others, that yes, you can have them fitted on, AFTER the van has been built, and cheaply too, which is something I did not know.
Its the first time I have been on this website, and the last, I was trying to help others, I did not ask for any back biting or sarcasm, just trying to help others, from making the same mistake, so hello and good bye is what I am saying. And thank you to Craig for being nice : )

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome guys(y) Sorry to hear of your accident, that must have been gutting for you:( I hired a 23ft van once and found that the overhang was a right royal pain so now I must admit to limiting the size of my motorhomes to 20ft, this is the size that is comfortable for me and means stress free driving and the ability to get out of most tight situations(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When driving light commercials trucks HGV any van MIROR MIROR MIROR you shuld be spend as much time looking in your mirror as looking forward cant blame others parkin for poor driving
welcome to fun
bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Rear parking sensors only usually activate when reverse gear is activated. How do side facing ones cope with traffic passing or at, say, traffic lights? Surely they don't continually bleep?
Don't know how they work.
Saw a documentary a year or so ago, a woman whose daughter had been killed cycling alongside a lorry (in London I think) started campaigning, and the firm the lorry belonged to eventually fitted side sensors on all their lorries. Saves lives.
Broken Link Removed
@Nadenza this might be of interest, I certainly wouldn't have looked for these sensors if you hadn't raised the point and this will help me - we have a 7.5 metre and I don't like to drive it except on motorways or dual carriageways so with these fitted I just might! So thanks for raising the issue and sharing what must be very frustrating and upsetting.
Please don't be put off by some of these posts - I think there's a bit of a bandwagon going on, it happens sometimes, but 99% of the time all you get on FUN is helpful advice and a bit of banter.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess she feels better now, having got that out of her system. See what a useful resource MHF is? Councilling the distraught now. Priceless.

I think the side sensors only come on when the vehicle is stationary and switch off when it moves. They can warn a truck driver if a cyclist is coming up their inside when stopped at lights.

Ones that were on all the time would be going off all the time as vehicles overtook or in a narrow country lane.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I am new to this website, but in my frustration, I thought I would join, just to air my views

Hello AND goodbye?
Oh dear.

Craig
It would appear there was never any intention to stay on the forum which I find a great shame as basicaly we are just a bunch of like minded individuals with much to learn and a load of experience to share.

I'm sorry if my earlier post caused any ill feeling, it was certainly not intended that way, but as most of the other members that have replied it was given as advice from many years experience and professional training.

I really hope you stay with us @Nadenza and I'm sure you will enjoy the forum.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think the side sensors only come on when the vehicle is stationary and switch off when it moves. They can warn a truck driver if a cyclist is coming up their inside when stopped at lights.

Ones that were on all the time would be going off all the time as vehicles overtook or in a narrow country lane.
If you scroll down to the Rear Sensor Protection System on this page, do you think this would work for a mh overhang? It seems it might cover the back corner.
Broken Link Removed

@Nadenza , my corner crunch was on the front nearside - fortunately only took out a shrub on a CCC campsite and NO they didn't throw me out!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Broken Link Removed
Thanks for that, CWH. Wonder how they only detect cyclists though, mmmmh?

Thanks, DBK.
Not much use then when manoeuvring if only active when stationary.
That's what I thought, you get driven demented if always on!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Don't know how they work.
Broken Link Removed

This one requires the bike to be fitted with a sensor, so no good unless both the vehicle and bike have it.

Ian

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
This one requires the bike to be fitted with a sensor, so no good unless both the vehicle and bike have it.

Ian
Ah.
Thanks for that Ian.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I have to say that, as well as Nadenza, I felt that many of the responses were a little harsh - particularly as she is/was a new member. Driving a motorhome, even a small coach-built like ours, takes some getting used to if you've only ever driven cars before. I remember our first campsite in France, reversing on to the pitch there was a low overhanging branch of a tree that caught the top of the van. Neither of us had noticed it. Fortunately, no damage done but the noise nearly gave me a heart attack! Now I look out for lurking trees. :eek:

Please reconsider, @Nadenza, about leaving so soon. There are plenty of friendly people on this forum and lots of good information and advice.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have to say that, as well as Nadenza, I felt that many of the responses were a little harsh - particularly as she is/was a new member. Driving a motorhome, even a small coach-built like ours, takes some getting used to if you've only ever driven cars before. I remember our first campsite in France, reversing on to the pitch there was a low overhanging branch of a tree that caught the top of the van. Neither of us had noticed it. Fortunately, no damage done but the noise nearly gave me a heart attack! Now I look out for lurking trees. :eek:

Please reconsider, @Nadenza, about leaving so soon. There are plenty of friendly people on this forum and lots of good information and advice.
As I see it , she wasn't asking for advice, just came on to tell us what swift and us should be doing on account of HER not looking in the mirror!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh come on, read the OP properly!
For a start, her partner was driving; and she does say:
I know we are to blame
AISI she's actually telling us about their mistake and offering a suggestion to help others avoid doing something similar!
So, if you are buying new, please make sure you have them on, its money better spent than fancy gadgets etc, taking in all the hassle, loss of no claims etc.
It's only a few days since they had the accident, they must be very upset, and how often in such a situation do we all say "Why don't they....." (whoever 'they' may be!)
We all make mistakes and can all misjudge when we're using something new; this poor woman seems to have misjudged the response she'd get on here.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
HI
I am not blaming anyone but ourselves, just trying to point out to others, how easy it is to have an accident, as that is what it was. I just think that when fitting these out, with lots of 'bells and whistles' 2 of the most obvious things have been missed off. had we had some on, it would have bleeped and we would have stopped, simple as that. and I am trying to point out to others, that yes, you can have them fitted on, AFTER the van has been built, and cheaply too, which is something I did not know.
Its the first time I have been on this website, and the last, I was trying to help others, I did not ask for any back biting or sarcasm, just trying to help others, from making the same mistake, so hello and good bye is what I am saying. And thank you to Craig for being nice : )

I don't think anyone was being sarcastic or munching on your back, just trying to make light of it. Unless of course you want oohs and aahs? Best of luck i the future in your new MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back