Move MoT due Date

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by oldfozzie, Jul 18, 2014.

1. oldfozzie

oldfozzie Funster

I am likely to be out of the country, with the vehicle, when the MoT becomes due; is it legal to take the vehicle for an MoT 6 months before the due date so that I can move the renewal date away for travel date?

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

AFAIK it makes no difference at all, we've done a similar thing in the past ourselves and never had a problem.

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Yes....... I did it with a yank, we would have been out of the country when it was due..

So had it done 3 months early.. the only thing it means each year it will run from the end date of the previous one..

4. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

No problems ours is not yet 5 years old, and has already had three MOTs, the next will be done before we go to Spain in October for the winter.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Take it every day if you want.....after all you're the one paying the test fee.

More to the point....if it fails does that cancel the current MOT

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Good question John

7. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

i would think it would ,,,a vehicle that fails is not up to MOT standards and should not be on the road,,,,,,,but there are some garages that will do a pree MOT just go through the motions and tell you what it would fail on.....

8. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,
    To answer the last question first.

The wording to the offence of using a motor vehicle on a road goes something like," that you drove (caused, permitted to be used) a motor vehicle where there was not in force a valid certificate issued within the preceding twelve months"
    (or words to that effect).
    Yes, I know that theoretically you could have had a test more than twelve months previously had you taken it in early on a preexisting test cert but to all intents and purposes, providing that there was a valid test cert then you would not be committing THAT offence.
    However, you would be committing whatever offence, if you used the vehicle on the road with a defect that showed up in the test.

I went to my garage to arrange for my test to be performed next month as we hope to be away in the winter, whereas we are always at home in August.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

Just sent Geo a PM to get it from the horses mouth, as they say.

What you say regarding not to standard, the MOT is an examination AT THE TIME OF TEST ONLY and the law only assumes it should remain so for a full year so an hour/day/week/month after the MOT it could develop a fault which it could fail on....but it is still MOT certified as ok.

10. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi Again,

Here's the exact wording,
    "

Obligatory test certificates.
    (1)A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence.

In this section and section 48 of this Act, the “appropriate period” means a period of twelve months or such shorter period as may be prescribed. "

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

But if it fails an MOT (even if there is an older MOT issued within the previous 12 months) you would want to get it fixed asap, wouldn't you?

12. pappajohn

makes sense. (y)

13. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi Puddles,

It would be the same as taking the car in half way through it's MOT year to be told,"Your brakes are shot" and doing nothing about it.
    Anyone who ignores that kind of info deserves the book being thrown (and the fist holding the book)

• Like Like x 1
  14. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

yes but surely if you put it in for test early and it fails,,then i would think that once the testing station press the buttons and send the details of the test result to the place they send them, then it would show up as MOT failure till a pass result is sent through,,,

15. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I'd say common sense must prevail. If it fails on no screen wash or a bulb you fix it that day. If more urgent fix it immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

That was exactly the point I was trying to make! Doesn't matter if it fails because of brakes or a bulb it needs to be sorted. No excuses.

17. pappajohn

Certainly, but we are away next weekend and the earliest i can get booked in is next friday.....the current MOT expires midnight next Saturday so if it fails on friday and if it should override the current ticket theres little i can do but hope i dont get a pull.

I wasnt retesting until i had a buyer as we had no intention of using the RV but circumstances changed at the last minute

18. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi sb8263,

You would think that what you have suggested would apply, and in the world real world perhaps it should BUT,
    UK law doesn't work in that way. The offence of use motor vehicle without an MOT Cert is only committed if a Pass Cert has not been issued in the preceding twelve moths.
    As I've previously said, non compliant part that caused the failure would create an offence for the user if the user continued to use the vehicle post test failure.

19. pappajohn

Agreed, but the offence is committed even if an early test fail is issued or not, if stopped and checks undertaken.

20. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

thats what i would have thought....guess i am wrong.....