Mounting Solar Panels (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Please can anyone advise if 4 x 250mm lengths of 50 x 50 x 2mm Aluminium angle will be suitable for securing a 100W Solar panel to my MH, or do I need a thicker section? (Will be bonded to roof with Sikaflex 512)

I have read lots of posts about the merits (or otherwise) of riveting or bolting/screwing brackets to panels, but has anyone ever used these or similar to attach brackets to a solar panel?

Thanks, John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use plastic angle these days . just on the fronts and backs . stops any branches hooking them and lets fresh air go inunder and help cool them . bond with sika .to roof . few rivets to panels .
mind i use enough angle to go right across the panel.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depending on the length of the panel you might want to put a couple of small supports in the centre of the long sides to prevent any flexing/movement, otherwise I'd do as vwalan says and just put 2 long strips at the front/rear (ie short sides).

As for fastenings, I've never heard of 'self-clinch nuts' so can't comment I'm afraid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Nutserts or self clinch nuts will only really work when you use the proper tool, and it isn't worth buying the proper tool. Ours cost about £70 from memory years ago

Also, beware of the material! If you drill you panel on squeeze nuts eats up, you will probably get a reaction between the two different materials

This will inevitably mean the nutsert will "spin" in the future if you did try to undo it

The only way to guarantee avoiding this would be to use Monel which would be very expensive and would definitely need the right tool to insert into the panel

Nuts and bolts or nuts and sets crews or rivets would be much cheaper lol

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
i use plastic angle these days
Thanks @vwalan for that – I had never thought of using plastic angle.
Because of the various skylights on the roof, I actually plant to mount the solar panel transversely, although a lot of it will be protected from wind by the large central skylight. It will also help by moving the weight forward. I favour two brackets on each long side, to spread the load. I will also be left with enough roof space to fit further solar panels if necessary.

Depending on the length of the panel you might want to put a couple of small supports in the centre of the long sides .......
Thanks Mel @Minxy Girl- see my comments above.

Nutserts or self clinch nuts will only really work when you use the proper tool .......
Also, beware of the material! ....... you will probably get a reaction between the two different materials
This will inevitably mean the nutsert will "spin" in the future if you did try to undo it
Nuts and bolts or nuts and sets crews or rivets would be much cheaper lol
Eddie, @eddievanbitz -Thank you. I suspected that use of those clinch nuts would entail the use of an expensive tool. I note your comments about dissimilar metals and corrosion. I am leaning towards rivets, having made sure that I can drill them out if I need to.

Has anyone any thoughts about the 2mm section of Aluminium angle?

John

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I fitted solar panels to my previous van I used 3 lengths of 150mm long ali angle on each side, 1 at each end and 1 in the middle. Fixed them onto the panel using 3 ali pop rivets each. Worked fine. The panels I have on my new van were fitted by the dealer and they used ali angle that looked about 40mm high and 100mm wide that ran across the full width of short end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back