Mountain Road To Avoid Near Barmouth (1 Viewer)

Julie And Rod

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lichfield
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We are heading for Barmouth over Bank holiday weekend, and have been told by my daughter that there is a mountain road near Barmouth, which wouldn't be suitable to take our MH on. Does anyone know if this is true, or if it's just my little girl over reacting?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Being since you would probably be heading from the same direction as us (Cannock) i would say she is over reacting, been to Barmouth god knows how many times and cant think of a mountain road that wouldn't be suitable

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Only one I can think that may cause some folk a little concern is Dinas Pass on the A470 before Dolgellau, but given buses and arctics use it...it easy in a van!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Can't think that any of the road's around there are particularly worrying.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The only mountain road I can think of is the one out of the campsite in Barmouth, and that's not that bad!!

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
As Bungy wrote it must be Dinas on the A470 steepish hills and tight bends so you cannot get any speed up just crawl.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
You'd go the same was as us as are starting points are very similar. Once the other side of Welshpool then the terrain is hilly and twisty. The A470 Dinas Pass is a good crawl up, but then this toad is the main route to the Mid Wales coast and is wide enough for two attics to pass so you will have no problems

Good luck on your new adventure

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
The only road I remember having a problem with was the unfenced mountain track that goes from near Dolgellau & ends near Arthog. it's signposted not suitable for motors but we did it in a 4x4. Would have made it too, but the road had been washed away in the recent torrential rain! Still, despite having to do a thirty-three.point turn to get back we enjoyed the lovely views.
Enjoy Barmouth, & if you can make time, the walk across the railway bridge is well worth it for the gorgeous view of the Estuary.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
There is a single track road from Rhayader towards Aberystwyth through the Elan Valley known as the mountain road. I've ridden it a few times by motorbike. I can't think of any reason why anyone in a motorhome would choose to use it. It's the B4574 and rejoins the main road A4120 at Devil's Bridge.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Nah, the beginning of the Dinas road is ruddy steep, but that bit's been widened and is either a dual carriageway or 3 lanes, forget which. It then narrows down into a normal 2 lane road, which is nice and bendy but only one bend is one where you have to take extra care - on one of the motorbikes one night we followed white van man all the way from Welshpool I think, to Barmouth - he really knew the road, and he could drive! and went at a cracking, but safe rate plus obviously his two headlights lit up far more of the road than our one. Both of us were much more than happy to let him do all the work and quite honestly we couldn't have got there much quicker than we did, on our own.

I'm amazed you don't already know the way in your sleep - in season it's jam packed with Brummies, Wolves, Baggies fans and their families and strange people from Alrewas and Bedworth!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Brum-sur-mer, sorry, Barmouth is perfectly approachable in a MH from every compass direction that I know of, be it Aberyswyth, Harlech, or Bala. It's a regular haunt of ours.

One road that some might qualify as 'mountain' is the A4212 between Bala and Trawsfynnyd, which isn't especially steep or mountain and is actually great fun to drive in any vehicle as it's very picturesque. However it's not the most direct route to Barmouth - it's far better for getting from the A5 to Porthmadog.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back