LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The mussel farm sells to supermarkets in the UK etc. but I do not know where they end up. I bought 6Kg from them over the Easter hols and not one of them tasted gritty etc (or none of the people that I cooked for had any issues with them) where as some supermarket ones that I have had lacked the flavour, meatiness etc. of the Inverlussa ones and they were slightly gritty. The last lot I got from a pub were sent back because they were gritty and rubbery.

I gently fry some bacon pieces in oil, add some chopped onion and cook until almost translucent then add garlic and chopped chilli and a glass of white wine or cider then add the mussels. Steam for 3 mins, add half a cup of cream & parsley and heat for another min then serve with more parsley over the top. The above is suitable for 1kg of mussels and could do 4 for a starter or 1-2 as a main.

Alternatively, heat chorizo cubes in a sauce pan, add onion, garlic & chilli as above. Once cooked, add half a tin of chopped tomatoes and chilli and paprika powder to taste and reduce a bit to create a thicker paste (adding tomato paste if required). Then add the mussels. After 3 mins, add half a cup of cream and mix and cook for another min or so. The above produces a richer and hotter sauce for the mussels which can over-power very fresh mussels so you may save the recipe for when you have had too many of the first recipe or your mussels have been in the fridge for a few days.

Serve into a large bowl and pour the cooking liquid over the top and sprinkle with parsley. Have large bowl for the shells.

Serve with fresh bread rolls, baguettes etc. and a tipple of your fancy.

As with all mussel recipes, discard any that are damaged, won't close before cooking or won't open after being cooked. Removing the "beard" before cooking helps.

The tasty juices left over after the meal can be saved for a risotto although you may need to dilute it as mussels release sea water when cooked that can make the liquid too salty to have on its own in a risotto.

Reactions: DBK

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
As an aside apparently the French are buying Scottish oyster farms, driven partly by disease killing off some French oysters beds. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/uk-farms-sore-over-french-oyster-herpes-8919261.html

I believe that lots of the (shell)fish served in the Med and Northern France comes from Scotland .... the French buying up oyster farms does not surprise me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Never seen any good mussels in the shops where we live. Did buy some from Tesco's once in a net but when we got them home out of 1 kg there were about 10 which were alive! Never bought them again from any supermarket again but did buy some from a farmers market recently which were lovely. Always buy them in supermarket in France.

Joe

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Never seen any good mussels in the shops where we live. Did buy some from Tesco's once in a net but when we got them home out of 1 kg there were about 10 which were alive! Never bought them again from any supermarket again but did buy some from a farmers market recently which were lovely. Always buy them in supermarket in France.

Joe
They also sell in supermarkets those green lipped mussels which come from New Zealand. They are frozen then defrosted before being put on the fish counter. Tried them once. Never again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dinner the other night. butter/ garlic/ white wine/ chilli flakes/ black pepper - stir till they stop squealing - serve with nice bottle of chilled
tea.jpg
Cava, salad and crusty bread.... less then £4 in Benidorm:)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Joe

I take them out of the fridge around a hour before preparing. It gives them a chance to warm up and react when tapped. Any that don't close go to bowl 2 and get a second chance after I finish preparing the first lot. Out of the 4kg that I prepared for one meal, only 4 did not close after their second a third chance. They may have been ok but we had enough to eat and the natives were ready to eat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back