MOTs for motorhomes and RVs (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Took my Hymer in today for its first MOT(a bit like a child's first haircut) to Alf Walsh on Cleveland Street in Birkenhead, in Wirral.
MOTd while you wait,took less than 20 minutes,very pleasant staff and waiting area.
Before I took mine in they had just doe a Yank Tank. They also do taxis for the local authority licensing and light commercials and minibuses,vehicles up to class 7.
They also do Motorhome repairs including plastic and GRP repairs as well as shower tray repairs.
I have no connection with them other than as a customer I used to take my previous motor homes there for testing.
Broken Link Removed

They also have the Wirral Sports and Leisure store alongside,for those of you into sports & water sports,especially sub-aqua and boating.
http://www.wirralsports.co.uk/

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
Took mine to local council depot - there's a pub nearby.
Unfortunately noy open at 8 in the morning.:ROFLMAO:
Give it time! The local Spoonys is open for breakfast,full English with a Guinness, tea or coffee.

When I was in France I used to go to the boulangerie and when I had my purchases the cafe next door was owned by the baker,cafe complet avec Calvados.
Now that's a breakfast!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
20 minutes to do an MOT :Eeek:

i would rather go somewhere that did it correctly.

to do an MOT thoroughly should take nearer to an hour.

pre booked MOTs are given in 1 hour time slots where i live.

Last edited:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
20 minutes to do an MOT :Eeek:

i would rather go somewhere that did it correctly.

to do an MOT thoroughly should take nearer to an hour.

pre booked MOTs are given in 1 hour time slots where i live.

I thought 20 minutes was rather quick. Just had our 1st M.O.T done at BCC, Send, Surrey and took a good hour. Glad to say it passed ::bigsmile:

Rob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I use a local independant for all my work, who give excellent service. In fact the local motorhome sales uses them to do all their work and MOTs. A proper MOT should take just about 1 hour including paperwork

I really do recommend them to anyone in the area, and like others have no connection to the business other than a very satisfied customer

Mill Road Motors
Mill Road
Christchurch
Dorset
BH23 2JY
01202 485718

www.millroadmotors.co.uk/‎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
They have about 5 drive through lanes for vans and cars and a special large bay with a fantastic pit for up to class 7,in fact there was a yank tank in just before me.They also test taxis, cabs and minibuses for the local authority and schools There are always vehicles queuing up for their test..
Check out there website,its a big operation.
Their site is the former area Royal mail maintenance depot and garage.
I understand your incredulity.
The 'card' man was in the pit checking the under cart, numbers 2 & 3 were checking the lights and operating the hand brake and steering for 'card' man who then came out of the pit after jacking up to check suspension etc. He then came out to check emissions,bearings and braking.
Three people maybe but he put his card in the computer and it also gave employment to his assistants.
They are employing and training people in an area of high employment so you can't knock it!-can you?
They are a well established family firm that my late father in law,whose business The Motor Radiator and Panel company,used to send there vehicles to and when he was alive he recommended them to me (fils garage had a Rolls Royce approved painter). That was over 30 years ago and I have seen them grow and develop the business.
Sticking with a garage you know gives you confidence-Dorset is a way to go for me to get an MOT. My wife's Fiesta is due later this month-guess where I'm going

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry I didnt word that too well, :Doh: I meant to say it was a recomendation for anyone living in or visiting the dorset area. :thumb:

not sure I would drive from the wirral to dorset just for an MOT :Eeek:

Now you say it was a 3 man team doing the MOT it makes sense that it was done 3 times as fast as usual, as its the same in man/hours

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back