Motorway Toll Tags – and I get a rollicking! (1 Viewer)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Some have them, some don't. We prefer to use the 30 kph lanes though I am not brave enough to try them at that speed.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am just touching 3m if u measure to height if folded sat dish...
Are there 3m height barriers? As would not want to test it lol

No, the lanes with height barriers are 2m for cars only. The other lanes detect height with cameras or something.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I am just touching 3m if u measure to height if folded sat dish...
Are there 3m height barriers? As would not want to test it lol

The only height barriers are in the "car only" lanes and are set at about 2.2m.

The 3m height is measured by some electronic sensing device. If you are slightly over 3m, the system will charge you for Class 3 (as opposed to Class 2). You then need to press the help button and issue the words "camping car" and they should then reduce the charge to Class 2. This procedure is for the normal lanes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive spoken to a couple of french guys with tag axles who say - it is a contentious issue - but they only ever pay class 2. On the odd occasion its clicked to class 3 with us I push the button and get it reduced. They re not usually inclined to put up a fight.

I know people who are over 3500kgs but under 3m who regularly use sanef tags.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ive spoken to a couple of french guys with tag axles who say - it is a contentious issue - but they only ever pay class 2. On the odd occasion its clicked to class 3 with us I push the button and get it reduced. They re not usually inclined to put up a fight.

I know people who are over 3500kgs but under 3m who regularly use sanef tags.
Lucky you Jon, they just come out the booth and laugh at us "giant" he said.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In practice you will not be detected as class 3 if you are under 3 metres high regardless of weight.

We are well over 3500kg but have only ever been charged as class 2 both without a tag and with one.

The other thing to remember is that the tag is registered to you personally to be used in whatever vehicle you happen to be travelling in. Sanef do not hold specific vehicle details. They even provide extra mounting brackets to make it easy to switch your tag between vehicles. The tag is a payment method, nothing more, it doesn't guarantee, or even make it more likely, that you will be detected as a particular class.
If you take out a SANEF/liber-t tag now you sign a declaration that you will only use it in a class 2 vehicle so what you say is not strictly true.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you take out a SANEF/liber-t tag now you sign a declaration that you will only use it in a class 2 vehicle so what you say is not strictly true.

Martin

No actually you don't do anything of the sort.

The tag is not tied to any specific vehicle or class. It is registered to me personally and can be used in any vehicle I'm travelling in.

I can use the same tag that I use in my motorhome (detected as class 2) in my car as class 1, with a motorcycle if I had one as class 5, in anyone else's car, motorcycle or motorhome or any other vehicle I choose as long as the system detects it as class 1, 2 or 5.

If I happened to be travelling in your motorhome and tried to use it then it wouldn't work because the system would already have detected you as class 3. In exactly the same way an HGV tag would not work in my motorhome because the system detects me as class 2 which such a tag can't be used for.

The system has already detected your vehicle and decided what class it is going to charge you as before it even starts to look for a tag of any description.

The tag is nothing more than a payment method. It has absolutely no bearing on what class you are detected as.

The only restriction other than that is that you are not allowed to use it in two separate vehicles at the same time i.e. if you are travelling in convoy you can't go through a barrier and then stop and pass it back to your mate behind you. I've no idea why they've felt the need to specifically ban that. Someone must have tried it I suppose.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011

Martin
I didn't sign anything to get my tag applied online when booking tunnel got tag free.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No actually you don't do anything of the sort.

The tag is not tied to any specific vehicle or class. It is registered to me personally and can be used in any vehicle I'm travelling in.

I can use the same tag that I use in my motorhome (detected as class 2) in my car as class 1, with a motorcycle if I had one as class 5, in anyone else's car, motorcycle or motorhome or any other vehicle I choose as long as the system detects it as class 1, 2 or 5.

If I happened to be travelling in your motorhome and tried to use it then it wouldn't work because the system would already have detected you as class 3. In exactly the same way an HGV tag would not work in my motorhome because the system detects me as class 2 which such a tag can't be used for.

The system has already detected your vehicle and decided what class it is going to charge you as before it even starts to look for a tag of any description.

The tag is nothing more than a payment method. It has absolutely no bearing on what class you are detected as.

The only restriction other than that is that you are not allowed to use it in two separate vehicles at the same time i.e. if you are travelling in convoy you can't go through a barrier and then stop and pass it back to your mate behind you. I've no idea why they've felt the need to specifically ban that. Someone must have tried it I suppose.
Not what it says here, https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription

Martin

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
After I brought mine , I got an emAil saying I get 5 £ off and who ever referred me get it off . Does anyone want to refer me? Thanks.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
where do you mount the tag on the windscreen? Does it have to be low down due to the overcab on a coachbuilt?

Thanks

Sep 12, 2014
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Transit coachbuilt
Exp
8years & counting
I've just returned from 12 days in France with a sanef tag, it was brilliant, no messing with coins or even worse credit cards !
Well worth the money !
Edit- you mount it in the shaded area behind your rear view mirror.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Edit- you mount it in the shaded area behind your rear view mirror.
many thanks for that. I have now received mine and today instructed my handyman to fit mine. it does seem to be fitted discretely behind the mirror on the shaded area. think I will only know the outcome once I get to the barrier.As a solo traveller this will solve a lot of stress for me if it works.

Claire Cymru

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Caernarfon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Eton
Exp
We have used our Sanef tolling tag on 4 different vehicles in the last 2 years. We got it with a deal via Eurotunnel. I generally travel alone so it's a must.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
where do you mount the tag on the windscreen? Does it have to be low down due to the overcab on a coachbuilt?

Thanks
You may have to put it lower if you have a big overcab overhang I think some members on here just lay it on the dash and it works.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294

Thanks
You can mount in the shaded area near the mirror but I found it did not always work but a rather agitated French toll both lady lent into the cab and grabbed the tag and threw it onto the bottom of the dash , it worked every time after that :LOL:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our current MH is 3.05m high so I've never chanced buying a tag.

However, I'm insisting on our next MH being 3m maximum, including any gubbins on the roof. Those tags are just too useful to ignore.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our current MH is 3.05m high so I've never chanced buying a tag.

However, I'm insisting on our next MH being 3m maximum, including any gubbins on the roof. Those tags are just too useful to ignore.
Think you can still use even over 3m but I suppose you would be charged class three

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Think you can still use even over 3m but I suppose you would be charged class three

Fair point, but we're always charged Class 2 at the booths and automated barriers so I didn't want to chance it with an infra red beam or whatever on the Telepeage lane. We want rid of the Luton anyway, so hopefully the next one will be the right height.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back