Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Cannot remember which services it was, but traveling south bound on the M1 we pulled off onto one of the services, followed the signs for caravan parking which took us straight back out on to the the motorway again. As a coach driver, one tip, don't park in the coach bays. I know a lot of coach drivers who will pull up behind vehicles parked in coach bays and go off and have their 45 minute break. If you want to move, hard luck, coach cannot be moved for 45 minutes. Be warned.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Cannot remember which services it was, but traveling south bound on the M1 we pulled off onto one of the services, followed the signs for caravan parking which took us straight back out on to the the motorway again. As a coach driver, one tip, don't park in the coach bays. I know a lot of coach drivers who will pull up behind vehicles parked in coach bays and go off and have their 45 minute break. If you want to move, hard luck, coach cannot be moved for 45 minutes. Be warned.
Coach bays annoy me, well not coach bays but the managing of them compared to hgv bays, park in a coach bay and the parking hitlers are all over you, hgv bays apparently are fair game for anyone not in an hgv it seems.

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Service station companies try their hardest to encourage coaches to stop at their services. Why not, I have up to 59 passengers wanting refreshment when I stop at one. That's why the parking hitlers are out in force around coach bays. No money in HGV parking, unless they are overnighting, just one driver who is self sufficient in their cab, as are motorhomers and tuggers.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Coach bays annoy me, well not coach bays but the managing of them compared to hgv bays, park in a coach bay and the parking hitlers are all over you, hgv bays apparently are fair game for anyone not in an hgv it seems.

Service station companies try their hardest to encourage coaches to stop at their services. Why not, I have up to 59 passengers wanting refreshment when I stop at one. That's why the parking hitlers are out in force around coach bays. No money in HGV parking, unless they are overnighting, just one driver who is self sufficient in their cab, as are motorhomers and tuggers.
There is obviously money to be made in encouraging coach drivers to stop, but that applies to many tourist attractions not just MSAs. The other factor is that coach bays are placed where they are because many coach passengers are of advancing years (even more advanced than @old-mo) so don't want to walk far to the facilities :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
thats because lorries dont bring fifty people to spend their money on overpriced food and tat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
thats because lorries dont bring fifty people to spend their money on overpriced food and tat
I used to know a coach driver, he said that the services would provide him with a free meal as an enticement to stop there. Does that still happen?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've known us go into a services, possibly coming home late at night from a ferry fully intending to use their loos and have a coffee that someone else has made for us, not in a plastic/paper cup. When we've assessed where we've been directed to park or the only parts without a height barrier, it's usually looked so dodgy and sometimes with iffy looking types milling about aimlessly, apparently - neither of us has wanted to leave the van so we've used the van loo and just grabbed a bottle of water to drink, before setting off again.

Makes a really crap ending to a nice holiday whereas I used to like to go, liked it when I was there and liked to come home again. (No difference here, whether it's a couple of days in Skeg, Norfolk, wherever, a fortnight in Goa or a couple of months in France etc etc)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back