Motorway Services

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

On a couple of occasions when stopping at motorway services I have headed for the dedicated caravan parking area, on most occasions these are furthest from the services and in what often seem insecure surroundings, I would not want to leave my van there for long.

Do you use dedicated parking or the main carpark, I have seen motorhomes in coach and lorry areas yet some of the caravan bays remain deserted.

On another note, can you wild camp at motorway service areas, if so would you.

2. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

I prefer to park amongst the cars rather than park up amongst the "tuggers" and usually the van fit into an ordinary bay.

I have overnighted once or twice at motorway services, not by choice, but paid each time. Dont think you would get away with wildcamping as cctv checks each and every vehicle anyway.

3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Beware Parking Eye @ motorway services. There a very large signs telling you how long you can park for free, usually two hours. Overnight parking costs about £20.00 and IMO not worth it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. tinkering

tinkering Funster

Usually very noisy..and if you park next to the HGVs .. There's the smell of pee :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See This Page which gives the facts from the mouths of all the horses that replied :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Another thing with the parking eye co; is it can be is an offence to use a bay not signed for the vehicle you are in.Or parking across bays instead of straight.
    The services nearest to tunnel has this restriction in it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

That's not something restricted to private parking companies particularly. A lot of council operated car parks have a similar restriction.

8. NickNic

You can stay at a service area as long as you like providing you follow the signed parking requirements i.e. only park in a designated area and pay if you're going to be there longer than they permit for free, usually 2 hours.

Why on earth you would want to is the question.....

• Like Like x 3
  9. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Would be desperate to overnight in a motorway car park - had to do it in the past with trucks and the noisiest worst nights sleep you can imagine. Traffic movements all night and truckers use them as a change over point either for trailers or load. You only have to have a few artic trailers being shunted and uncoupled and recoupled to destroy anything resembling sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Mway service stations are expensive, noisy and smelly.. Better planning a stop and using a small site or cl

Last trip we did to Wales we stopped at a CL .. just off J18, M4, less than a mile off the motorway..

beautiful quiet site for a fiver, what could be nicer than this for a good nights rest ?

DSCF1944.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  11. Larby

Larby Funster

Where do you park in Motorway services to avoid the interpretation and a fine?
    My MH is a Private HGV, 7.9m long.
    Too long for cars, not a lorry, but if sign says HGVs?
    Not strictly a caravan, certainly not a bus.

12. NickNic

Yes, strictly a caravan. A motor caravan. There's no such thing as a motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Try stopping in most "Caravan" designated spaces at night, they are usually full of HGV's !!

In the service areas at Peterborough and Cambridge, the caravan areas are inevitably occupied by cars, vans or 4x4's I have been known to ask the occupants if they were aware that they seem to have lost something significant.:eek:

• Like Like x 3
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

An interesting point that, and I noticed something the other day. In Rownhams services on the Eastbound side (M27), there used to be dedicated bays for caravans in the main car park. Recently it got refurbished, and those bays are now car spaces.
    As you enter the services, there is a lane that is signed for HGV's and coaches, or cars in the other lane. There is no longer any provision for caravans. Now I go and park in the HGV park, since I am sure they would fine me for taking up 2 car spaces.
    Interestingly, on the Westbound side, caravans are directed to park in the HGV park.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Follow the advice given by the MSA opetators and published on the page I quoted above.
    Take photographs and complain to the MSA operator and the Highways Agency. If it is a company vehicle complain to the company CEO as well.

16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Only done it abroad as no restrictions on parking.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

I stopped at Sedgemoor Northbound on the M5 the other week There were signs for caravans to follow for part of the way around but then suddenly nothing.

The only area left was the overflow car park at the back of the services building which wasn't marked out at all so I parked it there and hoped for the best. Haven't had a charge notice yet................

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

May I suggest contacting Welcome Break to point out the lack of signage and the confusion it causes for their customers :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I head for the caravan or HGV area - can't be arsed manouevering round the car park or having my side doors blocked by knobheads parking too close. I too get fed up with non-tugging cars parking in designated caravan bays. If I head for the HGV area I try to avoid taking up a trucker's bay if possible - there's usually something at the edges or a spare bit on the end.

You can overnight at most Mway service areas, but for a price that rarely seems reasonable. We stopped overnight at M2 Medway services once when we got off the ferry too late to get into Canterbury aire - it wasn't overly noisy that I remember, but we parked well away from the buildings.

I would add that if you pull into a busy Italian service area around lunchtime it's not unusual to find vehicles of all sizes parked on both sliproads.

20. NickNic

Done (y) Also pointed out that I would be most displeased to receive a penalty charge notice if I parked incorrectly due to lack of signage :D

• Like Like x 2