motorway services overnight parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by duffie, Mar 27, 2015.

1. duffie

duffie Funster

has anyone stayed overnight on motorway parking areas? is it safe and ok either nottingham m1 leicester forest or tamworth?
    duffie

2. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

It will cost you, most will charge if you stay more than 3 hours,
    I would personally pull of the motorway and find some where quiet,

3. Jimbohorlicks

Jimbohorlicks Funster

I didn't think you were allowed to stop more than 2-3 hrs on a motorway service station without incurring a parking penalty?

4. markh

markh

I've stayed overnight at Tamworth and it was fine, felt safe and had no problems, just remember to pay!

5. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I've used them a couple of times. No worse than some Aires although more expensive. Certainly safe. Be aware most insist you keep your gas turned off and in some you have to park with the trucks which is noisy.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's 2 hours maximum without paying, not 3. MSA operator web sites and car park signs have details of charges. It should be safe (though there are safety regulations against using gas appliances in the HGV areas). Cheaper and nicer might be a CL/CS close to a motorway junction.

7. Portland

Portland Funster

If we stop on a services or truck stop we always park as far from the trucks as possible. THEN a fridge truck will come and park up 2ft from us:(

• Like Like x 1
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Look at some of the people who are in the services and that will give you an idea if they are safe place to spend a night. Personally I doubt I would use one. I would prefer, as had been suggested, to get off the motorway and find somewhere quiet.Thats not to say they are all bad, I am sure some are fine, its just a judgement call for wherever you happen to be.

9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

The problem with getting off the motorway is most of the CL and britstop type places can't really cater for late night ad hoc arrivals. If you are winging it or get delayed for whatever reason sometimes the services are ideal.

10. Jaime

Jaime

I loved staying at Motorway service stations overnight. If you've got a dog which you will be walking then park near or under one of the huge lights. I can't remember how much it costs but it includes full English breakfast next morning.

11. rikfos

rikfos Funster

It's usually £10 a night. south of Bristol on the M5 it can be £18 - £20 per night- daylight robbery
    South Mimms I believe is £25. If it is over £10, I move off the motorway

• Like Like x 2
  12. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Yep - it's really handy not having to pull off & find somewhere on a journey. Safe and surprisingly quiet if you choose your spot carefully. The 'free breakfast' thing only applies to certain operators - and I don't know which. Charge last few times I used one around £8 - just follow the instructions on the Car Park notice on how to pay.

13. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

Did this once about 6 years ago on the M25, cost about £9 if I remember correctly, free morning coffee and use of the truckers toilet/showers, brilliant.

Norman.

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We pulled into Perth services a couple of years ago, no charge then for overnight parking, very surprised, it might have changed now though

but no use for you on the M1, and I would join others in suggesting find an alternative to motorway service areas, noisy and expensive, only possible benefit is convenience

15. Jaime

Jaime

Additional bonus (for me) is that my RV looks dinky next to those huge HGV vehicles :LOL: ... it's always nice to feel "dinky"!

16. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

We always feel dinky parked next to you lads..... !

17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Used them often.. with both caravan and motorhome.. they are convenient if a bit pricey, and you have the benefit of fuel, food and a shop on your doorstep.. albeit operated by D Turpin.

Due to the smell of urine.. which can be really bad.. and the noise of refrigerated containers, always try to keep away from HGVs.. as far as possible..
    if there is a dedicated caravan area I would use that in preference..

18. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

BritStops are the way forward IMO !!!!!:party2:

• Like Like x 2
  19. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

DfT circular to MSA operators says that parking passenger vehicles (including Motorhomes) should not be with Trucks/HGVs. The UK treats the whole of a MSA service area as a Petrol Forecourt with naked flame restrictions. Picnic area parking provision as on the continent, is possible but will not happen as it has to be commercially driven/funded.

Many refurbished and new MSAs now have dedicated Caravan Parking spaces (including MH/trailer Disabled spaces near the service building). However the public and light goods drivers do not seem to be able to read the words CARAVAN PARKING.

The circular also now permits the operators to lease areas of the parking provision to commercial activities including vehicle washing.

We have just returned from Spain via France and what a difference there is in the provision of parking on the main routes over there. In the UK we only have two toilet dump points at MSAs. This provision has now been removed in the circular from the DfT to MSA operators.

20. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

That may be the case, but legally one van only, for no more than 28 nights in a calendar year, if the local authority decides to enforce the existing legislation. What is needed is official Aires.

• Like Like x 1