Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Some of you may know that I play a bit at being a racing driver, Sunday was our first outing this year with a members practice sprint at a small course near Lichfield called Curborough.

Here's a few little video clips of me in action.......................sort of:ROFLMAO:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnLtdbZLlc&feature=youtu.be"]1strunonboard - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uHBy5mZIYQ&feature=youtu.be"]2ndrunonboard - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhV14RlsZY&feature=youtu.be"]stuckthrottle - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy, D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
One more, this time filmed from the spectators area by my son.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQg5zRTDGc4&feature=youtu.be"]3rd run - YouTube[/ame]

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It was indeed a great day and I broke my Personal Best time (PB) no less than four times::bigsmile:, my best time of the day was no less than a second and a quarter better than last years PB(not a bad improvement over a 900 yard course) so a very happy bunny.

D.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
when it goes well it really feels good and all the hard work done back at the workshop fades into the past, good to see grass roots motorsport looking healthy, it where all the hard work is done:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
when it goes well it really feels good and all the hard work done back at the workshop fades into the past, good to see grass roots motorsport looking healthy, it where all the hard work is done:Smile:

Last Sunday and this coming Sunday (members practice at Loton Park hill climb) are the proving days for the work done over Winter to the car. It also proves that BHP is almost meaningless where performance is concerned, the winter mods netted a 6.5 BHP gain over standard but a near twelve foot pounds (10% increase) more torque at peak (4700 ish). As you will know Torque Turns Wheels::bigsmile: TTW rules.

D.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Ahhhhhhhh the sound of someone having Fun, nice to hear. congratulations on your PB.:thumb:

ps let us know when your at Brands or Lydden

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ahhhhhhhh the sound of someone having Fun, nice to hear. congratulations on your PB.:thumb:

ps let us know when your at Brands or Lydden

Thanks for that, sorry but no plans to go that far with the car, just content (for now at least) to stick to Loton and Curborough although we are considering a run up to Harewood in August.

D.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:thumb:that's really great.thanks for that.as someone has said.back to the grass roots.one of my sons builds rally cars.and did a bit himself.so we know what you are going through.well done.:thumb:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nice to see someone else having fun at Curborough. I'm a long-time member of the RSSOC - we have an annual bash there.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Nice to see someone else having fun at Curborough. I'm a long-time member of the RSSOC - we have an annual bash there.

Curborough is a great little circuit that is often under estimated for its challenges, to add a bit of extra interest this year the Shenstone club that has the lease there has instigated a cross over from Molehill to the finish straight creating a figure of eight circuit, first run on this new circuit will be May 5th, should be fun::bigsmile:

I'm lucky in that I live roughly half way between Loton Park hillclimb and Curborough sprint course, about an hour's journey eitherr way with the race car on its trailer.

Sprinting and hillclimbing has got to be about the best fun you can have in flame proof underwear:ROFLMAO:

D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Curborough is a great little circuit that is often under estimated for its challenges, to add a bit of extra interest this year the Shenstone club that has the lease there has instigated a cross over from Molehill to the finish straight creating a figure of eight circuit, first run on this new circuit will be May 5th, should be fun::bigsmile:

I'm lucky in that I live roughly half way between Loton Park hillclimb and Curborough sprint course, about an hour's journey eitherr way with the race car on its trailer.D.

Sprinting and hillclimbing has got to be about the best fun you can have in flame proof underwear:ROFLMAO:

I don't compete but the Club has a strong competition section. The annual event is the National Sporting Weekend - emphasis on the sprint but used as our biggest social gathering. I've been going there since '83.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6quzjrinM"]40 Years of the Reliant Scimitar GTE - YouTube[/ame]

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I like motorsport folks, bought my Hobby off a classic racing car driver and on Monday afternoon put my TA brian James trailer which I bought off " sloberbob" on ebay and sold it for what I paid for it next morning to a young guy who races a VW Golf:thumb:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
2nd weekend of active motorsport commencing with members practice at Loton park hillclimb. Spectating today and driving tomorrow although forecast is not good. Look out for vids about mid week.

D.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ahh the highs and lows of motor sport did banger for a few years then class one grasstrack minis then a single seater grass track special essex v6 on a vw gearbox with the diff reversed then class ones again with my son whose now doing bangers his racing tommorow but weather doesnt look great
weve had days where a fresh built engine disintergrated and days where we both came home with arm fulls of trophies a real roller coaster
got as far as qualifying for the nationals but hopelessly out gunned there the guy next to me had 7 litres of v8 yank a hewland box and full electronic engine management the engine management had cost him more than my car, trailer and tow vehicle put together and this was back in 1995

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Had a great day on Sunday despite the weather. Got five runs in total:

Previous best dry time 71.09, previous best wet time somewhere in the mid 80s.

1st run on Sunday quite wet: 77.89
2nd run, a bit drier: 75.86
3rdd run afternoon dry: 71.78
4th run slightly moist: 73.59
5th run very wet 76.06

Couple of vids on my facebook page from the dry run, will post more onto Youtube soon.

Shiny side up!

D.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:thumb:well done dave almost below 70.keep at it do yourself proud.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cheers bud, totally confident now of getting under 70 in the dry and even closer to 70 in the wet when the weather warms up a bit more. Last years best time was set in August when it was warm and very dry on a well rubbered track so 71.78 on a cool, green drying track is right in the mix. 67 or better and I'lll be well chuffed::bigsmile:

D.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Life is funny one thing you enjoy you spend all your time trying to be quicker at andddddd another :ROFLMAO::Eeek:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
and he is getting better at both:RollEyes::thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
A man called cruiser says
"and he is getting better at both" :ROFLMAO:

anything you want to tell us Dave:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
For anyone interested enough (or bored enough:winky:) here's a link to my Youtube channel where all of my vids are available, its just easier than linking to individual vid clips:winky:, enjoy, I did!

D.

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's a couple of vids from the Easter meeting at Loton park, first up is a twin lens view (one forward one rearward facing) but there seems to be a fat git where I usually sit::bigsmile:.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1m5pXWW8x4&feature=youtu.be"]1strun200414 - YouTube[/ame]

Second vid is just the forward facing view of my best run at 70.01 seconds, Loton Park track is 1475 yards long so about 3/4 mile but is only around ten feet wide for much of the hill!:Eeek:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdshMYTfffo&feature=youtu.be"]loton210414pb - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy, I did:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Also worth a mention is next Monday (Mayday bank holiday), if anyone in the midlands is at a loose end and fancies a bit of free motorsport viewing pop along to Curborough Sprint course www.curborough.com where we are having the first ever figure of eight sprint meeting, should be fun:thumb:

D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Here's a side by side of my best run on Easter Sunday 70.95 (right hand side) and my best run Easter Monday 70.01 (left hand side), interesting to see where the time was won:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr8zX4GFbQc&feature=youtu.be"]twobesta - YouTube[/ame]

D.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Used to do a bit on the hills, Great place Loton :xThumb:

OP
OP
dave newell

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sure is Enword, I'd forgotten this thread. Had a great season and finished it with a 67.08 at Loton thanks to new 1B grippy tyres and a bigger pair of nuts. Sadly my last event was at the end of August (seems so long ago now:(). Here's the vid of all four runs from that day:

Here's a vid of my first run on the Saturday when I spun out at Fletchers Dellow.

Enjoy, D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back