Motorsport

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by dave newell lvs, Apr 2, 2014.

1. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Some of you may know that I play a bit at being a racing driver, Sunday was our first outing this year with a members practice sprint at a small course near Lichfield called Curborough.

Here's a few little video clips of me in action.......................sort of:Rofl1:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnLtdbZLlc&feature=youtu.be"]1strunonboard - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uHBy5mZIYQ&feature=youtu.be"]2ndrunonboard - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKhV14RlsZY&feature=youtu.be"]stuckthrottle - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy, D.

• Like Like x 6
  2. dave newell lvs

One more, this time filmed from the spectators area by my son.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQg5zRTDGc4&feature=youtu.be"]3rd run - YouTube[/ame]

D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Looks like a great day :BigGrin:

4. dave newell lvs

It was indeed a great day and I broke my Personal Best time (PB) no less than four times:BigGrin:, my best time of the day was no less than a second and a quarter better than last years PB(not a bad improvement over a 900 yard course) so a very happy bunny.

D.

5. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Never too old to have fun :Laughing:

6. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

when it goes well it really feels good and all the hard work done back at the workshop fades into the past, good to see grass roots motorsport looking healthy, it where all the hard work is done:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dave newell lvs

Last Sunday and this coming Sunday (members practice at Loton Park hill climb) are the proving days for the work done over Winter to the car. It also proves that BHP is almost meaningless where performance is concerned, the winter mods netted a 6.5 BHP gain over standard but a near twelve foot pounds (10% increase) more torque at peak (4700 ish). As you will know Torque Turns Wheels:BigGrin: TTW rules.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. B-well

B-well Funster

Ahhhhhhhh the sound of someone having Fun, nice to hear. congratulations on your PB.:thumb:

ps let us know when your at Brands or Lydden

9. dave newell lvs

Thanks for that, sorry but no plans to go that far with the car, just content (for now at least) to stick to Loton and Curborough although we are considering a run up to Harewood in August.

D.

10. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

:thumb:that's really great.thanks for that.as someone has said.back to the grass roots.one of my sons builds rally cars.and did a bit himself.so we know what you are going through.well done.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Nice to see someone else having fun at Curborough. I'm a long-time member of the RSSOC - we have an annual bash there.

12. dave newell lvs

Curborough is a great little circuit that is often under estimated for its challenges, to add a bit of extra interest this year the Shenstone club that has the lease there has instigated a cross over from Molehill to the finish straight creating a figure of eight circuit, first run on this new circuit will be May 5th, should be fun:BigGrin:

I'm lucky in that I live roughly half way between Loton Park hillclimb and Curborough sprint course, about an hour's journey eitherr way with the race car on its trailer.

Sprinting and hillclimbing has got to be about the best fun you can have in flame proof underwear:Rofl1:

D.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Sprinting and hillclimbing has got to be about the best fun you can have in flame proof underwear:Rofl1:

I don't compete but the Club has a strong competition section. The annual event is the National Sporting Weekend - emphasis on the sprint but used as our biggest social gathering. I've been going there since '83.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_6quzjrinM"]40 Years of the Reliant Scimitar GTE - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I like motorsport folks, bought my Hobby off a classic racing car driver and on Monday afternoon put my TA brian James trailer which I bought off " sloberbob" on ebay and sold it for what I paid for it next morning to a young guy who races a VW Golf:thumb:

15. dave newell lvs

2nd weekend of active motorsport commencing with members practice at Loton park hillclimb. Spectating today and driving tomorrow although forecast is not good. Look out for vids about mid week.

D.

16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ahh the highs and lows of motor sport did banger for a few years then class one grasstrack minis then a single seater grass track special essex v6 on a vw gearbox with the diff reversed then class ones again with my son whose now doing bangers his racing tommorow but weather doesnt look great
    weve had days where a fresh built engine disintergrated and days where we both came home with arm fulls of trophies a real roller coaster
    got as far as qualifying for the nationals but hopelessly out gunned there the guy next to me had 7 litres of v8 yank a hewland box and full electronic engine management the engine management had cost him more than my car, trailer and tow vehicle put together and this was back in 1995

17. dave newell lvs

Had a great day on Sunday despite the weather. Got five runs in total:

Previous best dry time 71.09, previous best wet time somewhere in the mid 80s.

1st run on Sunday quite wet: 77.89
    2nd run, a bit drier: 75.86
    3rdd run afternoon dry: 71.78
    4th run slightly moist: 73.59
    5th run very wet 76.06

Couple of vids on my facebook page from the dry run, will post more onto Youtube soon.

Shiny side up!

D.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

:thumb:well done dave almost below 70.keep at it do yourself proud.

19. dave newell lvs

Cheers bud, totally confident now of getting under 70 in the dry and even closer to 70 in the wet when the weather warms up a bit more. Last years best time was set in August when it was warm and very dry on a well rubbered track so 71.78 on a cool, green drying track is right in the mix. 67 or better and I'lll be well chuffed:BigGrin:

D.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Life is funny one thing you enjoy you spend all your time trying to be quicker at andddddd another :Rofl1::Eeek:

• Like Like x 2