Motorhoming with a baby

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Liebs, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Liebs

Liebs

Hi there

We've just bought our first motor home and are looking forward to our first trip on May bank holiday with our 13 year old and our 10 month old. Just wondering if anyone has any top tips on motorhoming with a baby? (Apart from 'DON'T', that is!!;)) To add to the fun she's just mastered the art of crawling and pulling herself up to standing on any handily-sized item of furniture...

Thanks!

2. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Plenty of fresh air she needs to get really really tired! Hope you have fun

3. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Hi from Devon you've landed on the best motorhome forum and will be the best £10 you ever will have spent brought our kids up traveling all over Europe they loved it Animated Gif Welcome (18).gif

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We did it with ours in a caravan. From when our eldest was born then 23 months later when we had twins.
    Yes hard work.
    Same sort of thing , as a mh though.
    In the summer take a blow up paddling pool. Comes in handy as a place to keep the babies outside with a blanket in. Ball pool. Summer a paddling pool.
    Play dough was a favourite even they were older with lots of things to stick in it.
    We used to go abroad at least once a year too ( package trips) The camping holidays were a lot easier. Take fave foods , treats, books , toys. Just like home . On wheels.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to Fun, no problems just solutions that you will work out we started in motorhomes and caravans with a. 3 year old and 3 month old that was many years ago, without electric and without automatic pumps etc, but what a wonderful child hood they had, and I salute you for taking the plunge and doing it, just a few favourite toys soon it will become 2nd nature enjoy :welc:

6. Granjan

Granjan Funster

We camped and caravanned with 4 kids and like to take grandkids, take spare bedding / blankets and bin liners husband had a great time washing sick out of duvet in middle of night, thought it would be easier if he got naked and took it in the shower, the lights went out and he couldn't see a thing. If it happened again I would just bag it till next day.

:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Took both my grandkids away with us Uk and on the continent since they were about 9 months old. Never any issues, now they are 7 and 9.
    The habitation door was always our main worry in case they went near it and fell out .! So when open we always made sure something was blocking the step. It will all make sense once you start using the van...

8. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Hi
    We have a 19mth old and recently visited Chester with Motorhome Fun on their Rally.
    We had no problems at all although I would suggest planning is the key - especially with meals beforehand.
    This was our first trip away in this motorhome however we travelled to Cornwall in our 1974 VW Campervan last year (10mth old at time) and managed although packed to the rafters with pram, high seat, cot, nappies you name it we took it and we managed ok.
    I'm sure they'll love it and if they're enjoying it you will

9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We had both our grandkids with us for Easter
    One 5 years old girl who is a angel (y)
    and the monster boy at 18 months :eek::devil:
    Two words travel cot
    It's a bed and a prison without it it would have been hell
    Hardiest and funniest 4 days we have had for a few years
    I think I lost a stone
    As Elaine would say love em to bits

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Kids and motorhome/camping is fun. We've done it for years. Tents first, then caravans & statics. We're now in an RV but no little ones anymore. The fresh air is great to help them sleep, most people on sites are like minded and relaxed and as you will be relaxed so will your children. The 13 yr old will probably meet loads of new friends and will be safe. As tonka said the door can be a worry but a simple staircase would solve that. Have a great time, after a few trips you'll wish you'd done it years ago.

11. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Have to be honest I think the caravan is more suited. Big awning means lots of safe space and is less effort for mum and dad.

That is slightly skewed though by the type of campervaning we do (rarely more than one night in one place and have only wound the awning out twice)

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just be careful how you secure your travel seat for the young 'un - make sure it is next to the wall and not in the centre aisle as it can tip over into the aisle when you go round corners as there's nothing to keep it from doing so.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Liebs

Liebs

Thanks very much for all your advice! Lots of great suggestions to consider before our trip. Travelling with the 10 month old seems a bit daunting at the moment and no doubt the first weekend away will be the hardest, but I'm sure we'll soon get into the swing of things! :)

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Think about someplace outside to keep the soiled nappies until you dispose of them in a double wrapped and tied bag.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeannette van den Oever

Jeannette van den Oever Read Only Funster

Hi Liebs, don't worry too much. You'll have a fab time. Lots of good tips already, such as travel seat on inside, by window etc. Most of it is common sense stuff you employ at home to keep her safe, such as a sleeping place she can't fall out of.
    Just finished our first 12 day trip in our new MH (1300 miles!) with 4 of our girls aged 6 to 14, but had a new caravan in 2008 when our youngest was 3 weeks old, so understand your worries.
    As you have 2 kids, you know that you need to be prepared for er 'emissions' both top and bottom. Spare clothes, bedding etc. are a must. My 6 year old has 3/4 accidents a year and of course this happened on our trip, but I purposely left the new plastic on the overcab bed to see how she got on. The sleeping bag got most of it. (y) Given your daughter's age you'll probably be using a cot of some kind, so no worries.
    An awning/tent/playpen would be very useful. My youngest was a bum shuffler until about 20 months of age (why walk when you have minion siblings who can bring you stuff?), so would get a very dirty bottom, even in the summer, outside.
    None of my kids held much fascination for toilets (and this may not apply to your van), but ours does not have a lock on the toilet door. Also, motor homes have internal steps that you'll need to block off.
    Other than that, and having to get used to sleeping somewhere new (wine and earplugs/a hard heart for you, maybe a favourite toy for her- she'll get there eventually, honest :)), it's pretty much another day in mummy's office. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Liebs

Liebs

Thanks Wildman and Jeannette! A few more things to think about there. I feel a list coming on...!

I have to confess that the one thing we really don't have sorted is somewhere for her to sleep. Our travel cot is too big once the bench seat is converted into a bed, so that's no good. If all else fails, I'll sleep with her on the double at the front and her sister can sleep on the fixed bed at the back with her Dad but that's not ideal... does anyone know of any more compact travel cots suitable for a 10 month old?

17. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

• Like Like x 2
  18. Liebs

Liebs

Interesting... that might just work! Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Liebs - what MH have you got, I'm trying to 'visualise' it but can't!

20. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

we had an old caravan with an awning , took the kids away in it a lot of times, my wife would sleep in the caravan with our two youngest aged 10 months and 4 years , my son aged 7 always wanted to sleep with his dad in the awning , in those days you could get a CCL for £2.00 a day , the kids will remember those camping trips for a long time .

• Like Like x 1