Motorhoming TV, its not complicated

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by bullrush, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bullrush

bullrush Read Only Funster

Is it just me or do some people look for problems when on the continent.
    Our satellite reception is great, 60cm dish on a pole clamped to the bike rack and dont worry about the sat finder or the skew angles just point it a bit left of south, watch the tv screen which will show no signal, move the pole around a bit and the tv bursts into life. Oh yes the dish and pole came to £29 on Ebay. We have used this all over France without any problems.

Oh yes.....If your propane gas is low get the charging adaptors on Ebay and providing your cylinder is EMPTY charge it in the LPG garages. I know some people will throw their arms in the air but if you can read the charging info and are capable of connecting a regulator then you are capable of charging a gas bottle. These adaptors are not something knocked up in a backstreet garage they are well made pieces of equiptment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Most of what you say is very true, BUT a 60cm dish wont work in Spain. Or the gas charging thingy is great at unmanned stations but Morrisons don't half kick up a fuss when you try to fill your Calor gas bottle on there forecourt. I know from a friend of a friend :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i just went down the road to our local flo gas depot ,
    72p a litre for auto gas . but picked up a 19kg bottle no deposit for 29.40
    would have been 2736 for the same in auto gas . so didnt bother filling my bottle hardly worth it for 2quid . bet i could sell the empty for more than two quid anyway.
    seems 47kg bottles are 52.50 .if you filled with autogas it would cost 67.68 .
    shame cant get one in the truck and use it . hee hee .
    think i shall just stay with flo gas when home here for bottles .
    would take years to get back the price of the refillable expensive bottles if you ever can .

4. bullrush

Thanks Snowbird. I can only agree with your friend of a friend. Just do it discreatly There are no hard and fast rules in a motorhome on the continent just find a car park for the night and dont leave a mess. I spent 40 years working with oxygen at 300 bars so I feel capable of charging a propane bottle at 20 odd Bar. Oxygen is far more dangerous that Propane.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Its a bit difficult being discrete when your on CCTV :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

How about some photo's of the E Type ? Bored with debates on satellites & gas bottles , E type much more interesting:thumb:

7. bullrush

Yep...you are right.
    Its a 1964 3.8 roadster and had a ground up restoration 2 years ago. Its in A1 condition and only does about 500 miles a year. I took it out on Monday just to give it a run and it still would have gone straight up to 120 if the speed limit would allow :thumb: if you know what I mean. It does most of the shows in Hampshire

• Like Like x 1
  8. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  9. aba

aba

it seems that the 6kg bottles are sold at an inflated price and if all you can get in is a 6kg then its still cheaper to have a re-fillable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the secret is dont buy a camper that only takes small bottles . or adapt the locker . the converters will stop building small lockers if folk stopped buying them ,its not a hard decision . just common sense , spending a fortune after you have bought the wrong thing doesnt make it right . just wastes more money .
    far better to be able to take 19kg bottles .

11. JJ

JJ Funster

I will continue to ask this question because I still have not received an answer...

Can someone tell me why I am, or anyone standing near me is, in danger as I am fill an empty gas bottle in good condition using a non return valved filling adaptor calculating at the rate of two litres per kilo?

How much more dangerous is it to push and twist a button, deliberately releasing gas into the air and then setting fire to it with a spark to boil your kettle?

What about when I am pumping neat petrol into my car and it splashes back and spills all over the floor?

If you are not confident with filling gas bottles yourself DON'T DO IT... but don't suggest I being dangerous if I do. :Angry:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

Your solution might suit you and me Alan but the common sense answer for the vast majority of motorhomers would not be to drive around with a 19 kilo gas cylinder in their weekend leisure vehicle... (plus another one for when the big one runs out.)

Pay loads?

Space needs?

Interior design?

13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Even though I am used to it and I am told its quite normal evertime I fill the LPG tank and I remove the filler I jump when the millisecond of pressurised gas belts out, would be frightening to see the lot come out under pressure !!

14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Could it be that turning on your gas inside the camper to boil a kettle is releasing a relatively small amount of gas at low pressure in an environment that has no petrol vapours and little chance of some pillock walking past using a mobile or smoking.

Petrol station petrol is under little or no pressure when dispensed, but gas is at fairly high pressure when it goes into the tank and a disconnection of the adaptor would result in quite a lot of gas leaking before the filler is shut off. There are such things as cheapo rubbish adaptors on Ebay which may or may not have a decent non return valve. If a faulty valve is used and a large leak occurs or the bottle does not have automatic cut off at 80% and is overfilled would that not be dangerous.

As to your specific question on whether someone could tell you why it's dangerous I expect someone in the trade might answer you.

15. JJ

JJ Funster

As I suspected...

JJ

16. Camdoon

Camdoon Funster Life Member

Who can explain or prove most things?

Are foreigners at more risk when driving in 50kmph speed limits rather than our slightly slower 30mph? Should we be setting our urban speed limits to 31mph or should they slow down to 48? Do cigarette companies yet accept there is a link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer?

How can you prove that a container is in good condition without thoroughly testing it?

If there are rules, they are normally geared to protect the untrained but knowing when you are competent or not can be blurred for many rules. In general I tend to obey the rules of any country out of politeness and for insurance purposes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The fact you need to ask the question, Probably answers it:RollEyes:
    So profound some of my statments I amaze myself:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

One of the reasons that it is a dangerous fuel in the wrong hands, is because the Gas is compressed at 274:1 into liquid form. When that liquid hits the air it expands to 274 times it's liquid volume size, almost instantly. So a small spill becomes a heavier than air highly volatile gas pocket around your feet and around anyone stood near you. Because it is heavier than air it travels to the lowest point very quickly.
    If you do over fill, and liquid gas finds it's way to your burners, you probably won't survive the explosion if you are in the vehicle when the liquid expands and the gas explodes.

Petrol isn't a compressed gas so it just evaporates when spilled with no expansion.

Just a thought.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Thought

Yes, and a nice explanation. Thank you

20. JJ

JJ Funster

Cripes...

I am very sorry that I am so poor at explaining myself.

It's very funny how stupid, silly things can get me going.

Not explaining myself well is one of them. It leads to me not being understood therefore I am driving myself crazy!

It is my fault.

I'll try again...

I drive my Wagon to an unmanned, self serve LPG pump which are found at petrol stations all over the place.

I shut the output taps on my GASLOW system. I connect the filler gun to the system's filling point on the side of the Wagon. I press the button on the pump and I fill the system. When full I release the gun.

Why is this dangerous? Is it dangerous? Do all the figures and details about lpg high pressure and rate of liquid to gas expansion make it dangerous? I don't think so. Why don't I think so? Because people at fuel stations all over the world do it all the time.

Now I move one and a half yards to the rear of the Wagon and connect the same gun to a good condition, empty Calor bottle though a correctly fitted andbeautifully engineered adaptor with a non return valve and press the button watching the gauge on the pump carefully until I have filled the bottle working on the safe margin of two litres per kilo. I disconnect, replace the gun in it's holder, shut the bottle tap, remove the adapter, refit the regulator and go and pay.

Why am I in danger in one situation but not the other?

Do you know what? No one, no one, no one has yet given me an understandable answer. :Wink:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012