Motorhoming in northwest help (1 Viewer)

AngelinaBallerina

Free Member
Sep 5, 2011
North West
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr
Exp
New
Hi all. New to this and writing this on iPhone so apologies for typos. Just bought new motorhome which is 7.5m long. Want to visit sedbergh or Appleby in moorland or preferably dent in October. Beautiful part of the country but keep reading about access issues in a motorhome. There ate plenty of sites that take MH's so it can't be that bad. Anyone any experience? Can recommend a site and route? We will be travelling north on M6 from Preston. Will only be our third trip out and don't want a nightmare where we get stuck?

Any advice or alternatives greatly received.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Cant rearly help with your planning, but re Appleby Iknow the horse fair is held there so horse boxes get there, just try and stay on A roads wher poss, I know what your meaning re narrow roads we have been stuck a couple of times but just take your time and all will be fine. Pete

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Nice little site at Dufton near Appleby in Westmorland.:thumb:
Our van is 7m and we had no problems at all with access.

Nice site, nice village, nice pub too. Village is on the Pennine Way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you want to stay within a stiff mile walk of the centre of Appleby and you prefer quiet with good views then try Croft Ends farm, CA16 6JW

Booking is essential so 817683 51284

Next time we head that way it will be with forty foot of car and caravan and I know there will be no problem with access even going across the bleakish moor from the M6

Oh nearly forgot the best bit you can walk in three minutes to a pub with real ale and proper real food.

I think you have to be a member of Caravan Club though

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I used to drive full size 45 and 52 seater coaches on the road through Sedburgh on the way to Blackpool Iluminations from the North East before the road was upgraded to Tebay via Lunedale.

There is a tight narrow bridge on the road between Kirby Stephen and the M6 via Sedburgh. It was recognisable by the paint jobs of all of the coach companies on the sides of it. Watch wing mirrors we always lost some each season.

Have a good look at the roads using Google Earth and Street view.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back