Motorhoming in Denmark (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Her goodself has several projects on the go planning holiday jaunts to suit my periods of leave. (I'm in the Merch working 4 weeks on 4 off) She is looking at touring Denmark in June sailing out of Hull.

Advice, suggestions, how to reduce ferry fares, places to "must" visit, birdwatching or any views from you my learned and experienced funsters would be most appreciated.

This would be our first "overseas tour" and living up here on the Northern Frontier, Hull- Zeebrugge would be our nearest port of departure, (Tyne sailings seem a bit restrictive)

As ever look we both forward to your input and advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Stewart & Marjorie :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just a quickie tonight if you'll forgive the expression but it's nearly midnight! :Blush:

We took the route from Harwich to Hook of Holland last April to catch a ferry from Esbjerg to the Faroe Islands (long story, see my other posts).

It was some 500 miles of 95% motorway for us in a car and will be a similar distance from Zeebrugge just to the Danish border near Flensburg. You will treat that part as a holiday no doubt unlike us which was a means to an end but it's still a long way there and back.

Given the cost of the Faroes ferry we dismissed Danish Seaways direct to Esbjerg as too expensive at some £600 which would have meant an extra night or three in Denmark on top.

We paid about £350 on Stena and a very nice ship it was too and it gave us a nights sleep ready for the long haul next day.

Lovely country Denmark, good empty roads and plenty to see and do even if you stay just on Jylland, long coastline with lots of sandy beaches. The Lake District around Skanderborg and Silkerborg is very pretty and not far off is Himmelberget (spelling?) the highest point in Denmark, though there'll be someone at the top waiting to take your money for parking.

Don't know how much but the bridge connection across to Copenhagen is quite expensive though no more than the ferry we took in '95 with the caravan. If you can get to Copenhagen it's a lovely compact city to explore on foot and the Tivoli Gardens are worth seeing at night.

We picked up a collection of camping leaflets and maps at the NEC with a view to going back in the motorhome, they don't do wild camping apparently but there are camping cheque schemes to consider including Alan Rogers and what they call a Quick Stop scheme where you can arrive after 8pm and leave before 10am at a reduced fee. See dk-camp.dk and the Danish Tourist Board no doubt.

Happy Travels! :Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Cannot help with the camping side of it but we flew over there last year for a week - agree it is a lovely county - it would appear that 99% speak English fluently - they prefer sterling or their own Danish Krona. Found all the folk very friendly. Driving around we found the were a number of campsites and seemed in very picturesque areas not tucked away out of site. Must admit though although it was June saw very little evidence of motorhomes - mainly tuggers. Beautiful scenery.. We did contemplate taking our 5'er over but decided for the time we had it was a long haul - if we had would have gone Belgium through Holland then the ferry across to Denmark which works out a lot cheaper. Some ferry fares are cheaper if you go for the unpopular times or days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
if we had would have gone Belgium through Holland then the ferry across to Denmark which works out a lot cheaper.

Didn't know that was an option, is there anyone operating from Holland to Denmark? If we want to take the car to the Faroes next year we're going to be even worse off as our Smyril Line ship is now calling at Hirtshals on the north of Jylland instead of Esbjerg, an extra 4 hour drive. :cry:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Ferries to Denmark

There are ferries from northern Germany across to islands south of Zeeland (the big island where Copenhagen is). I don't have any details, though. There are roadlinks to Zeeland.

We visited Denmark several times in the mid-80's, Harwich-Esbjerg by car, then through to Copenhagen. June is a great time to go because the Danes celebrate midsummer quite enthusiastically. Barbeques on the white Baltic beaches and, if not quite midnight sun, certainly light until late.

Can't wait to go back ourselves now we are motorhomers. Plus there is now the bridge to Sweden, although I have fond memories of the Helsingor-Helsinborg ferry north of Copenhagen.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Can't wait to go back ourselves now we are motorhomers. Plus there is now the bridge to Sweden, although I have fond memories of the Helsingor-Helsinborg ferry north of Copenhagen.

This ferry still operates, so the ferry is still an option if you do not want to use the Oresund bridge.

Wild camping is legal in Denmark, the 2 camping organisations just do not want tourists to wild camp.

I do not know if you have already done it, but a search on Denmark in the forum will give you some information about various things related to motorhoming in Denmark.

As a Dane, I would tell you to visit the northern part of Jutland (North of Aalborg), but that is mainly because that is the area I used to visit with my parents and the area I know best :Smile:

Rasmus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Oh, and another thing! :Doh:

We now take pound notes, or a debit card, and change our money in Denmark or the Faroes for Danish Kroner, we've been getting a better rate since we discovered the exchange rate at Danske Bank at Copenhagen Airport a couple of years ago. Until then we found Thomson Travel on the High Street gave the best rate and always beat the Post office on currency. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back