Motorhomes with Bunk Beds

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jagtazman, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Okay so we've decided we want a 2nd hand MH with bunk beds as this is the best layout we think for a family of 4. After plenty of research (although not completed) I have compiled the attached list.

If anyone has anything they can add feel free, it may not be 100% accurate but I could not find anything else decent on the web so I though others might be interested in my findings.

I have my top 5 now, just have to wait and watch, not in a rush as we've already booked a hols abroad in August.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

3. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Nice but not my cuppa tea, looking for a more lounge feel not DD/TD without a bench and want swivel cab seats to open area up. But each to their own. Thats why theres so much choice

My top 4 layouts atm are:-
    CI Mizar GTL Living
    EURA MOBIL Profila 675 VB
    Frankia 650 ED / BD
    Adria Coral 670SK

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  4. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Sunlight A72. Not sure what all the codes are. 6 berth. 2 x Dinette (4+2) over cab bed

5. jezport

jezport Funster

6. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

7. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

What a good list!!

We have the Carado a366 which has the TD as you call it (4 +2 dinettes). Initially we intended changing the smaller dinette into a bench but in the end felt it gave us more space but there is only 3 of us! We have had it just short of 4 years and whilst not my perfect layout and van choice I'm more than happy with it!!

Good luck on your hunt!! The only down side for me is that I would love a huge huge garage!!!

8. jezport

jezport Funster

We had a van with a dinette but found the dinette too restrictive. L shaped lounge works better as its more versatile for eating and lounging

9. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We had a Carioca 656 for a short while but had 2 issues - the dinette wasnt very comfortable for us to lounge in and it had a non existent payload (even after I upgraded it to 3700kgs)

10. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

@Mr Colpot , What was involved with up grading the Carioca to 3700kg?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  11. The Wino

The Wino Funster

You must have a lot of time on your hands!!!. Why not wait until you have a budget and see whats around then with bunks it might be you otherwise end up finding a model with a perfect layout but can't find one in good nick. Depending on your budget you might have to accept a compromise on payload/layout/condition but until you are there you won't know what the options are it's different of course if you have a budget to but new. Our first was a chausson flash3 the compromise was high mileage 38k at 3 years old and dinette non swivel seats the upside was only cost 22k and traded in for 20.5k 3 years later the danger of getting too organised is we could have waited 3 years to find one we wanted and missed out on 3 years of fun!!!

12. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Just a paper exercise via SV Tech - oh and £400. Wasted money on my part as sold it back to the dealer at a loss as I found a more suitable van privately.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

I research a lot and plan ahead plenty around now and was plenty around 6 months ago

Yes u need to compromise however u need a starting point.
    Hence my list TD are out from me with 2 teenagers ain't gonna work need a lounge
    Already have budget in mind but it's flexible
    By looking now you can cut down options then when ready away you go. If have to wait a few more months then so be it but from what I have seen already and in recent months at any point in time they tend to be 2 or 3 from top 10 around. Some older some newer. If u don't plan you may end up with completely wrong van.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Many years ago when my parents decided to join us for a couple of weeks I hired a 6 berth and found it very useful layout because my two boys were young and loved climbing a ladder to overcab bed, that was an adventure for them in itself. My parents snaffled the bunks and Jax and I had to make up in the dinette, these days however whilst my Frankia will accomodate 10 fairly comfortably around the lounge so a dinette arrangement wouldn't suit plus I have to have a large garage for the Trike which can only really be accomplished with Twin Singles or Queens bed.

I did like that Frankia on ebay though, but the same vehicle could be purchased back then on a Mercedes chassis with twin rear wheel drive as opposed to FWD and Tandem Axles.

I think you've done the hard work with that list, now it's just a case of picking which German built Beast to go for.:wink:

16. Jagtazman

Jagtazman Funster

Not sure if will end up with German but continental over UK any day atm
    Tbh I prefer Pilote over hymer better layouts and value for money IMHO
    Well that's if buying new based on what I saw at nec