Motorhomes should move on, says councillor (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
God I hate people laughing at their own jokes:Angry::winky:::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Sorry to upset you Wizzer... wasn't actually laughing at my own joke though.

What I was trying to do was to underline the fact that the post was light hearted.
Not long ago I wrote a similar style post and a (new) Funster didn't pick up on the spirit in which it was written... :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You are never going to get Local Authorities to provide space or facilities for MH's(snip)
Not so - see UK Motorhomes Stopover Page. Not many councils but the number is tending to grow all the time. The two main problems are the negative publicity which stories such as Bexhill generates and the fact that few people are prepared to approach councils constructively in order to try to persuade them.

Are CLs not aires by another name.. ?

People keep moaning about the lack of overnight stopping places, yet we have over 3,000 CLs .. roughly the same amount as aires in France ...

Of course they are the equivalent - and demonstrate that this country (as in so many other ways) is not mainland Europe because it has evolved differently for all sorts of reasons.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If what you read and the council say is true then I do not blame the residents for complaining,all that will happen now is a total ban on motorhome parking anywhere in the area even for a short time during the day:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you for your email. I have myself in the past been an enthusiastic owner of a Caravan. I am 100percent in favour of caravanning with Caravans and Motor Homes. Sutton Place is not a Caravan site. And nobody objects to a Motor Home stopping for a couple of days on the seafront. The situation is that we have several Camper Vans who have now been parked together for in some cases 7 weeks. They are virtually living there using the facilities far beyond the usual usage of people just stopping for a little while. Razors have been left in the Lavatories, washing IS draped over the bushes, the rubbish bins are used as dustbins, and so on.

I have myself been down to monitor the situation on a regular basis - taking the vehicle numbers so I know how long they have been there.
(I go off doing things for a few hours and all this happens!) Looks like some people are exploiting the situation there. Hopefully it can be resolved (48 hour / 72 hour maximum stop?) without motorhomers in general being blamed for the issues. However it still raises some points:
If this is a group of migrant workers what are they doing there and who is employing them?
If it is just some motorhomers being idiots and ruining it for the majority then I accept nothing can be done at present but I would suggest the by-laws or parking regulations get changed asap to prevent this exploitation.
If Alan1952 is representative of the local attitude, do I want to stay there? (I find it amusing that he seems to resent Eastern Europeans while attending something invented and developed by the Japanese.)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
God I hate people laughing at their own jokes:Angry::winky:::bigsmile:

Sorry to upset you Wizzer... wasn't actually laughing at my own joke though.

What I was trying to do was to underline the fact that the post was light hearted.
Not long ago I wrote a similar style post and a (new) Funster didn't pick up on the spirit in which it was written... :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:
[/QUOTE]

You didn't and I know that JJ, I was trying to be funny and failed:Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Are CLs not aires by another name.. ?

People keep moaning about the lack of overnight stopping places, yet we have over 3,000 CLs .. roughly the same amount as aires in France ...

No Jim CL/CS sites are not like aires.

CL and CS sites are only for members of the respective clubs as set out in the clubs rules. They do not cater for non members. Aires do not require membership of a particular club.

John

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Parking or freeloading

Interesting thread and as an ex-resident of bexhill and that my daughter lives there I thought I might add to the thread. The area being discussed does indeed not have any parking restrictions and because it a wide road which only leads to galley hill it has been used for many years by motorhomes etc. as there are no defined parking bays in that area between the sea/grassed area/blocks of flats. So it's basically a good place to park a vehicle bigger than a car.

So what's the problem? It's the same old story some people abuse something that is free! Myself and Debbie saw it last time we were walking along that area. Not the motorhomes just parked up but motorhomes with awnings out. Windbreakers up. Washing hanging up etc etc.

So I can understand how the locals feel as sometimes if you are walking along the front it can seem like you are on a campsite!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
No Jim CL/CS sites are not like aires.

CL and CS sites are only for members of the respective clubs as set out in the clubs rules. They do not cater for non members. Aires do not require membership of a particular club.

John

Indeed, but in every other respect CLs are as like aires as you will find in the UK .. access to almost 3,000 cls for £40 isn't a lot, half a tank of juice for the average van .. and it's comparable with say the likes of France Passion at €29..

Time and again e petitions have been lodged on the Gov. petition site for aires in the UK .. and the response has been poor .. there just isn't the demand for Aires in the UK ..

here is the latest .. with less than 500 signatures..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As e-petitions are open for a year, the closing date indicates that this latest one has been open since 18th January.

487 signatures in 7 months proves, as Jim says, that the vast majority aren't interested in changing the status quo (or, at least, can't be bothered doing anything about it if they are interested).

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I would put money on there being at lest one motoring offence being committed be each of them at night. The problem is this would then be applied to anyone in a similar position, not just the alleged long term residents.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim that one was started on my drive by my mate mick. he decided he would give it a try. he is far better on computers than me . .but like you say its just that folk dont care. or cant be bothered .
if you want him try dunroamin on motor home 365 . he is in germany at the moment . but he pops in or on every so often. you might even have seen him uses a 65 merc truck with wooden box on the back. well known spanish /maroc winter traveller. have fun we do.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Its not locals v motorhomes. So dont jump to conclusions.
Living quite close and talking to some of the vans staying there it is obvious that 2 of the vans that have been there for over 6 weeks are what most of us would call Itinerants.
The mess they are creating is awful ...kids out of control litter toys and waste water and rubbish all over the promenade.Its a total mess.The language is loud and foul from one and all.With toys strewn over the path washing hanging out chairs and seats all over the place.
I was told by another motorhomer the Itinerants move their vans 10feet every now and again to comply with existing laws.
If you saw the state these people are creating you would be appalled.They are ruining a quite and lovely stretch of quiet promenade.

The rest of the motorhomes there are well behaved and from what I hear responsible. A lot of foreign vans overnight every weekend and behave themselves.

Once again a situation ruined by a few...last week they were still there.

barry

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There is one comment which has been added after the report at 8.53 am today.....

1 comment
Sort by:
(0) (0)

alan1952
8:53 AM on 19/08/2012

After taking my son to his karate class on Wednesday [HI]we usually park by the toilets[/HI] and have a cuppa tea from our flask.. we saw these mobile homes parked there each time and on one occasion the charity run was going on.. the kids were getting in the way of the runners with their scooters and bikes but on one bothered to stop them.. [HI]after hearing them talking in a Eastern European language is it any surprise[/HI].. [HI]These people flout our laws[/HI].. This was 3 weeks ago and they are still there?

So it seems it is ok for Alan 1952 to park there but not for others....:Doh:

Eastern European languages being spoken? This is beginning to sound like a :dm: story..

"These people flout or laws"? Who exactly does Alan 1952 suggest "these people" actually are? :RollEyes: and which laws are they flouting, that allows him to park there but not others?..

I think anyone who stays for weeks on end is indeed taking the mickey, but more often than not I think there is more than a hint of jealousy in these stories, as all the so called complainants, would actually like to have a Motorhome themselves....

The ones that have been there for 7 weeks now are speaking a very western european language.....a version of Irish that Itinerants use.
Though I can understand it may well have sounded like eastern european to some people.
They are turning the place into a dump........no wonder the locals are screaming for something to be done about them ...so are the other more legitimate motorhome folk parked up there...

I have been down there several times and talked to them.

barry

I have been down there several times and talked to them

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back