Motorhomes should move on, says councillor (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Published on Saturday 18 August 2012 08:00

OWNERS of motorhomes parked along Bexhill’s De La Warr Parade for several weeks have outstayed their welcome.

But the owners are not breaking any laws by being there, since there is no restriction on parking or overnight stays at the far end of the eastern promenade.

Rother district councillor Deirdre Williams said she was nevertheless taking residents’ concerns seriously and hoped to resolve the situation and prevent it happening again.

She said: “I’m not joking when I say I have had more than 50 e-mails from people living in the area, all expressing anger about the situation.

“They resent the fact that parking spaces are being denied to other users, such as those who have beach huts there; that water is being obtained free from taps in the nearby public toilets; wastebins are overflowing; washing is being draped on fences and so on.”

Cllr Mrs Williams said: “These facilities are paid for by council tax payers. Fine, if visitors are only there for a day or two, but we’re now talking weeks and there are many who clearly think it’s not on for the motorhomers to expect them to subsidise their lifestyle.”

One resident, Colette Aspinall, said: “It makes it difficult for other visitors or locals to park and use the beach. I don’t think I’m alone in my displeasure.”

Another, Geoffrey Hume, said the contingent created “an unsightly mess” likely to deter others from using the promenade.

Police and council officials have visited the site, where up to a dozen dormobiles have parked, but are powerless to act under present regulations.

Cllr Williams said: “It’s time these visitors went. I’d like to see it made illegal to stop there overnight, but that can’t happen immediately. In the short term, water supply has been restricted to prevent over-use and talks are continuing to see what else might be done.”

Rother’s director of services Tony Leonard said: “We are aware of the motorhome issue and have noted the concerns of residents who have contacted us.

“Being a highways matter, this is not Rother’s direct responsibility but is a county council issue. Nevertheless, our senior officers and local councillors have met with East Sussex County Council’s head of highways and Sussex Police to discuss the matter and find a solution.

“At the moment, no restrictions are in place that prohibit motorhomes on East Parade.

“As long as the vehicles are taxed and insured, they are legally permitted to remain at this location overnight.

“It has been concluded that we could look at implementation of a Traffic Regulation Order, but this will take time as it needs to go to public consultation.

“It requires careful consideration, as any restrictions will apply to all vehicles and not just motorhomes, so we need to be mindful about what restrictions should be put in place. In the meantime, our officers will continue to monitor the site for any illegal or anti-social behaviour.”

Link Removed

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
If its the same vehicles for weeks on end I 100% agree with the residents, who here would like someone camping outside their homes or on the side of the road in their area.

If its someone stopping for the night I think thats different but if its a constant stream of different vehicles, when one goes another seems to be waiting to take its place I am not really sure what the answer is

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
The answer is obvious, give the motorhomers somewhere to park, it aint rocket science, but then the travellers get in an the whole thing goes to pot:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
So no one is actually breaking any laws here are they?
But the owners are not breaking any laws by being there, since there is no restriction on parking or overnight stays at the far end of the eastern promenade.
No.
“They resent the fact that parking spaces are being denied to other users, such as those who have beach huts there;
So what has actually happened is someone beat someone else to a parking space.
that water is being obtained free from taps in the nearby public toilets; wastebins are overflowing; washing is being draped on fences and so on.”
None of which might be caused by motorhomers.
Cllr Mrs Williams said: “These facilities are paid for by council tax payers.
and the county council and taxpayers in general.
Fine, if visitors are only there for a day or two, but we’re now talking weeks
I'd like to see proof of that. Some little old lady looking out of her window and seeing a motorhome isn't going to be noting reg numbers and makes and checking who comes and goes.
and there are many who clearly think it’s not on for the motorhomers to expect them to subsidise their lifestyle.”
Subsidise? In what way? Parking where anyone can park legally. Using facilities anyone can use. Perhaps motorhomers should stop subsidising local council taxpayers by stopping spending money in the area.
One resident, Colette Aspinall, said: “It makes it difficult for other visitors or locals to park and use the beach. I don’t think I’m alone in my displeasure.”
See previous comment: Someone beat me to a parking place.
Another, Geoffrey Hume, said the contingent created “an unsightly mess” likely to deter others from using the promenade.
Yes, that picture in the article shows the vehicles belonging to a bunch of new age travellers doesn't it? I suspect it isn't hard for any local journalist to find someone who considers one bit of litter "an unsightly mess" and get a quote out of them. Now I don't know if that was what was happening here, but it's possible.
Police and council officials have visited the site, where up to a dozen dormobiles have parked, but are powerless to act under present regulations.
Yet again - NO ONE IS BREAKING THE LAW.
Cllr Williams said: “It’s time these visitors went. I’d like to see it made illegal to stop there overnight, but that can’t happen immediately. In the short term, water supply has been restricted to prevent over-use and talks are continuing to see what else might be done.”
Parking for LOCAL PEOPLE only?
“At the moment, no restrictions are in place that prohibit motorhomes on East Parade.

“As long as the vehicles are taxed and insured, they are legally permitted to remain at this location overnight.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've sent an e-mail to Councillor Williams
Dear Councillor Williams,

I have just seen the Bexhill Observer story at Link Removed.

My wife and I own a motorhome but do not spend the nights in lay-bys or by the road side, only on sites. I also run a web site - www.motorhomeparking.co.uk - providing information on where people may park and must not park. I can understand how a large number of motorhomes/camper vans all together can cause upset to local residents and, as I state on the web site, I do not, in any way, condone illegal camping.

However, at the same time I do not like to see people unfairly criticised when they are acting within the law. Whenever such stories are published they tend to be accompanied by reports of illegal waste dumping &c. Whilst I am sure that a minority of people might do that it appears that the majority of the reports suffer from lack of evidence. I am interested, therefore, in the statement attributed to yourself, that "wastebins are overflowing; washing is being draped on fences and so on " and wonder how many of the complaints you have received are accompanied by photographic evidence (i.e. proof) of motorhome owners being the perpetrators or simply assume that as motorhomes are parked there.

Another aspect to consider, along with a TRO, is the economic effect on the borough. Even if people park for free they still spend money in local shops, cafes, restaurants &c. Whilst the introduction of restrictions would reduce the number of "free" campers it would also be likely to reduce such expenditure as people might simply holiday in other areas (i.e. resulting in an overall economic cost (rather than benefit) to the Bexhill area). Rother Council might like to explore the sort of scheme under consideration by other local authorities as listed at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers-news.shtml in order to reach a compromise agreeable to the majority.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Graham Hadfield
I've tagged it with a read receipt request so it will be interesting to see if she replies or even reads it.

I sent a similar message to the councillor involved in the similar story about Marazion a few weeks ago. Lack of read receipt points to the fact that the message may not have even been opened. That councillor has certainly never replied.

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Bexhill Observer August 2013
Beach hut values "cut by 50%" due to parking restrictions.
Owners complain about having to leave huts early to avoid getting clamped.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Interestingly, if you look closely at the photograph in the newspaper article it appears that the two modern vans nearest the camera are using electric hook-ups! Or have generators? Weird. Perhaps they are beach hut owners and are taking an electric supply from there? :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interestingly, if you look closely at the photograph in the newspaper article it appears that the two modern vans nearest the camera are using electric hook-ups! Or have generators? Weird. Perhaps they are beach hut owners and are taking an electric supply from there? :winky:

well spotted..

it's hardly 'overnight parking' with a genny and level ramps in use .. :RollEyes:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
The article has had a reply:
After taking my son to his karate class on Wednesday we usually park by the toilets and have a cuppa tea from our flask.. we saw these mobile homes parked there each time and on one occasion the charity run was going on.. the kids were getting in the way of the runners with their scooters and bikes but on one bothered to stop them.. after hearing them talking in a Eastern European language is it any surprise.. These people flout our laws.. This was 3 weeks ago and they are still there?
:Doh: ( - nearest I can find to a facepalm)
So, one - he managed to park. Two - children occasionally get out of control or don't watch what they are doing. (Surprised that didn't make the front page of the MSM) Three - they were "Eastern European". Maybe it's an offence to be Eastern European in Bexhill? Maybe they were working there? Maybe next week there'll be an article on Bexhill residents exploiting lowly paid Eastern European workers? What sums up this person's ignorance is "These people flout our laws" So, is that Eastern Europeans or motorhome owners? And, despite the article stating several times that no laws were being broken, the first commentator asserts that the law was been broken, albeit without mentioning which law(s).

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
There is one comment which has been added after the report at 8.53 am today.....

1 comment
Sort by:
(0) (0)

alan1952
8:53 AM on 19/08/2012

After taking my son to his karate class on Wednesday [HI]we usually park by the toilets[/HI] and have a cuppa tea from our flask.. we saw these mobile homes parked there each time and on one occasion the charity run was going on.. the kids were getting in the way of the runners with their scooters and bikes but on one bothered to stop them.. [HI]after hearing them talking in a Eastern European language is it any surprise[/HI].. [HI]These people flout our laws[/HI].. This was 3 weeks ago and they are still there?

So it seems it is ok for Alan 1952 to park there but not for others....:Doh:

Eastern European languages being spoken? This is beginning to sound like a :dm: story..

"These people flout or laws"? Who exactly does Alan 1952 suggest "these people" actually are? :RollEyes: and which laws are they flouting, that allows him to park there but not others?..

I think anyone who stays for weeks on end is indeed taking the mickey, but more often than not I think there is more than a hint of jealousy in these stories, as all the so called complainants, would actually like to have a Motorhome themselves....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
well spotted..

it's hardly 'overnight parking' with a genny and level ramps in use .. :RollEyes:

A similar thing happens in France ....we talk to many uk motorhomers ....and there are a certain few..that say we have been on this Aire for two weeks and are stopping another week even though there was a notice saying 72 hours only.... many coupled into the free electric...one person had a book hand written with all the free Aires with the free electric...quite happily telling me we stop there for two weeks and there for three weeks and there and there.. we come over every year for 6 to 8 months in France Just stopping on free aires going down and coming back on the same Aries....that is not what the Aires is all about...many villages are now putting signs up saying 24 hours only some say 48 hours...some say 72 hours...or it is on your metered ticket stating two nights only

So stopping for days and weeks on end at the side of the road at busy seaside town..in the hight of the season...Mmmm..its not on is it ...one night fine...I can understand the residents and council being angry.....why don't they stop one night and move on..:Doh:...if they did things in moderation.. no problem ....some people spoil it for others:Doh:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have some simple solutions to the problems faced by residents who don't like looking out and seeing motorhomes legally parked in the road opposite.

1. Stop looking out of those windows.

2. Close the curtains.

3. Move into the back room and look out of the window into your garden.

4. Move house.

5. Park your and your neighbours cars in the spots as soon as they become empty and don't move them.

Just imagine how awful it must be for the motorhomers to look out of one side of their vans and see ugly, immovable structures made out of bricks stuck there.

JJ :Cool:

PS. and just in case some readers can't "see" the "tone" of this post (it has happened to me before) I better add...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The answer is obvious, give the motorhomers somewhere to park, it aint rocket science, but then the travellers get in an the whole thing goes to pot:Angry::Angry::Angry:

We don't see "travellers" problems across Europe.

Why here ?

Basically it's NIMBY. Political. Driven by Coln Blimp and local campsite owners.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in many european countries there are large traveller sites .i have on ocassion stopped on them myself . luckily being in a truck gets me half in no probs . even better when there are two of us . i find the ones already there very friendly .they are hidden away abit and not next to main through fares . as we tend to travel on the smallest roads we can find we very often see the sires . they are better than many of the aires and are usually more spaced out and you can have a beer with the locals sat around their campfire .ideal love it.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Why can't the Bexhill Council designate either the car park, shown in the picture, or 100/200 metres of space on the east end of the Parade just for Motorhomes?

A time limit of 24/48 hours and possibly a charge of a few pounds (if water, litter bins and toilets are close by) and MH only spaces from April to November would encourage genuine Motorhomers and discourage those who now abuse the system.

The east end isn't overlooked by close buildings and access to the beach huts is certainly not obstructed in that area.

They have a designated area for taxis towards the west end of the Parade that earns the Council no money at all.

The new MH area would provide a steady income for the Council with very little initial outlay.

Even a fiver a day for parking on the seafront wouldn't break the bank for most MH owners and
earn the Council up to £1000 a week in high season.

Or is that too simple a solution to the problem?

Attachments

• Bexhill 1.jpg
    Bexhill 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have some simple solutions to the problems faced by residents who don't like looking out and seeing motorhomes legally parked in the road opposite.

2. Close the curtains.

4. Move house.

5. Park your and your neighbours cars in the spots as soon as they become empty and don't move them.

Just imagine how awful it must be for the motorhomers to look out of one side of their vans and see ugly, immovable structures made out of bricks stuck there.

PS. and just in case some readers can't "see" the "tone" of this post (it has happened to me before) I better add...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE]

God I hate people laughing at their own jokes:Angry::winky:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I put my two pennith worth in as well, for what its worth:Blush:

Dear Cllr Williams

As a motorhome owner I felt I had to put pen to paper after reading your story in the Bexhill Observer about parking along De La Warr Parade. One of the great attractions of motorhoming is the freedom it brings and being able to park up almost anywhere as long as laws permit is one of those attractions and without a doubt my wife and I would not have seen most of the the great places we have, if it were not for our motorhome.
Although I do not condone parking up for weeks on end, My wife and I do park our Motorhome for one or at most two days on such roads where parking laws permit, so that we can visit the towns and villages like Bexhill, and while there, we are like any other tourist, we spend our money in the local shops and restaurants etc, and in doing so would like to think we are contributing to the local economy.
I think it would be a great shame if this opportunity to visit your town was spoilt by the inconsiderate few and that we are all going to be tarred with the same brush. Most of the motorhomers I know, including ourselves are quite willing to pay a reasonable fee for parking overnight close to towns.
I find it amazing that France, Germany and many other european counties have seen the advantages of providing free or very low cost parking for motorhomes in most of its villages, towns and citys but we in England seem short sighted and blinkered to it, I wonder why that is??? Who knows maybe Bexhill can be one of the first?

Regards

Tim wizzer59

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a reply from Councillor Williams which indicates (to my satisfaction at least) that it is a small number of motorhome owners bringing the rest of us into disrepute.

It is clear from her reply that it is the abuse of publicly funded facilities which is the problem, not overnighting by motorhomes per se.

Thank you for your email. I have myself in the past been an enthusiastic owner of a Caravan. I am 100percent in favour of caravanning with Caravans and Motor Homes. Sutton Place is not a Caravan site. And nobody objects to a Motor Home stopping for a couple of days on the seafront. The situation is that we have several Camper Vans who have now been parked together for in some cases 7 weeks. They are virtually living there using the facilities far beyond the usual usage of people just stopping for a little while. Razors have been left in the Lavatories, washing IS draped over the bushes, the rubbish bins are used as dustbins, and so on.

I have myself been down to monitor the situation on a regular basis - taking the vehicle numbers so I know how long they have been there.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Published on Saturday 18 August 2012 08:00
OWNERS of motorhomes parked along Bexhill’s De La Warr Parade for several weeks have outstayed their welcome.
Rother district councillor Deirdre Williams said she was nevertheless taking residents’ concerns seriously and hoped to resolve the situation and prevent it happening again.
She said: “I’m not joking when I say I have had more than 50 e-mails from people living in the area, all expressing anger about the situation.
“They resent the fact that parking spaces are being denied to other users, such as those who have beach huts there; that water is being obtained free from taps in the nearby public toilets; wastebins are overflowing; washing is being draped on fences and so on.”
Cllr Mrs Williams said: “These facilities are paid for by council tax payers. Fine, if visitors are only there for a day or two, but we’re now talking weeks and there are many who clearly think it’s not on for the motorhomers to expect them to subsidise their lifestyle.”
Rother’s director of services Tony Leonard said: “We are aware of the motorhome issue and have noted the concerns of residents who have contacted us.
“Being a highways matter, this is not Rother’s direct responsibility but is a county council issue. Nevertheless, our senior officers and local councillors have met with East Sussex County Council’s head of highways and Sussex Police to discuss the matter and find a solution.
“It has been concluded that we could look at implementation of a Traffic Regulation Order, but this will take time as it needs to go to public consultation.
“It requires careful consideration, as any restrictions will apply to all vehicles and not just motorhomes, so we need to be mindful about what restrictions should be put in place. In the meantime, our officers will continue to monitor the site for any illegal or anti-social behaviour.”
Link Removed
Sounds like Groundhog day, this scenario has been played out in most lenient minded coastal towns throughout the country. Bad practices by motorhome users is creating no go areas for the rest of us.:Doh:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You are never going to get Local Authorities to provide space or facilities for MH's

Just checked on the Caravan Club website and they say they have added 81 CLs this year.

Would it be feasible for the CC and C&CC to licence 'stop-over' areas in the same way - part of a field, no barrier, no EHU, no toilets, maybe a waste tank and water - Aires by another name?

Just a thought..................

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they have been providing places for years they are called car parks with toilets . you can get rid of your waste and get water . wheres the problem .they are every where .all over the uk.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
they have been providing places for years they are called car parks with toilets . you can get rid of your waste and get water . wheres the problem .they are every where .all over the uk.

Don't want to stay on car park

And can't get past the height barrier!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Just checked on the Caravan Club website and they say they have [HI]added 81 CLs this year.[/HI]

Would it be feasible for the CC and C&CC to licence 'stop-over' areas in the same way - part of a field, no barrier, no EHU, no toilets, maybe a waste tank and water - Aires by another name?

Just a thought..................

Are CLs not aires by another name.. ?

People keep moaning about the lack of overnight stopping places, yet we have over 3,000 CLs .. roughly the same amount as aires in France ...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

2. Close the curtains.

4. Move house.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Occupy..........have now evolved from tents to luxury motorhomes but their fight continues in bexhill.:party2:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...FJmWDuhgjpT14VW9g&sig2=UIMh4toZiJsQYEyIZykj0Q

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Are CLs not aires by another name.. ?

People keep moaning about the lack of overnight stopping places, yet we have over 3,000 CLs .. roughly the same amount as aires in France ...

Not quite the same - you have to look for CLs, phone up, not signposted in the way Aires are

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many of the aires in france are only parts of carparks .they arent all seperate items .
lots dont have height barriers on .
you cant have everything all the time .
then really the answer for you is use a campsite .
i,m happy to use a carpark .have been for the last 40 yrs . even longer if i count the trips out with my parents .
we used to go abroad and travel here just odd days here and there . isnt that what m,homes are made for.
this time of years i,ve known aires over flowing in all the nice places .campsites full in france you just find a carpark or quiet road and stop.and many round here have well signed cl ,s .

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Not quite the same - you have to look for CLs, phone up, not signposted in the way Aires are

granted, they are not signposted, but simply stick the POIs on a sat nav .. job done .. or use the CC map..

You don't need to phone, I've often just 'turned up'.. but if you do you can not only check availability but make a reservation . .. not so with an aire .. where in the busy season you need to start looking by mid afternoon or risk not getting a place..

On a CL you won't be parked so close you can't open a window .. you can also put out your table and chairs, BBQ and enjoy yourself .. can't do that on aire.

Given the choice.... CLs beat aires hands down ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back