Motorhomes Overnight Ban at Colwyn Bay

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

More of the same...:(

MOTORHOME and caravan owners have slammed a county council over its decision to impose an overnight ban on vehicles along Colwyn Bay promenade.

Following complaints from councillors and residents, Conwy County Council imposed a ban from 11pm to 8am, and the news has been greeted with anger from motorhome owners.

Nigel Wignall, of GoExplore Motorhome Hire in Conwy, said there were no actual caravan sites in Colwyn Bay and the majority of places nearby do not cater for one-night stays.

He said: “The council should be patting themselves on their back for the great work carried out on the prom that is attracting holidaymakers back to Colwyn Bay - not banning them.

“Most sites in North Wales at this time of year have a three-night minimum stay, which is no good for the average motorhome user.

“Rather than ban the motorhomes, they should embrace them and set a designated area for them like all other European countries do.”

An online poll conducted by the Pioneer found 80 per cent of people polled were opposed to the ban, with just 20 per cent in support of the restrictions.

The move has been backed by the Bay of Colwyn Town Council, which recommended in February a ban on motorhomes parking along the promenade from midnight to 8am.

Motorhome owner Hilary Woodjetts, said: “I don’t want to stay on a site for a protracted length of time where I am shackled to a particular area that I might not enjoy.

“But if I manage to find somewhere to park overnight, while I am there, I will spend my tourist pounds in the vicinity if I have decided to stay during part of the day as well.

“The antipathy and outright prejudice towards motorhome and caravan owners in this country is why so many go to France.

"Conwy council have taken Wales off the map for many people.”

from http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  2. calion

calion

Clacton is the same........

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

we some times stayed there and we were planning a trip around wales for a week this still wont put us off but it is very short sited of them just makes things a bit harder
    bill

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

one thing Britain truly excels in is NIMBY'ism:rolleyes:

shame we don't have an Olympic team for it..Gold guaranteed every time...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When this story first broke I contacted Conwy Council to point out the fallacy of Councillor Squire's comment that the ban "could also aid businesses in the region".

The reply I received (from an officer who has been helpful in the past but obviously has to follow the instructions of her political masters) was:
    I wrote back:
    Unfortunately it appears that, yet again, a few have spoilt things for the many and, whilst people like Councillor Squire do not understand the difference between motorhomes and caravans, there is little likelihood of any aire type facility being created in Colwyn Bay.

I don't now the area (it's something like 50 years since I was there) but if any local residents do know of any car parks which are suitable for allowing overnighting then they might be able to make a case to Conwy Council.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Have just come back from 3 weeks in France/Italy/Switzerland and Slovenia and it really makes you realize how anti Motorhomes are here in the UK, France to me is the Mecca of Motorhomes and camping - always somewhere to stop and pull over for the night or just a rest, some/many have toilets/water/grey waste an some even have leccy - yet over here no one seems to want you here for any longer than a couple of hours and thats on our Motorways where you always see the signs "Dont Drive While Your Tired" yet they want to fleece you for it at the same time.

• Like Like x 6
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Yes, but unlike some places most people have no desire to stay overnight there parked up on the seafront. ;) No decent campsites locally though, so you have a point.

Lived there in H-o S for 14 years and it was the pits when we left in 1980 and has got even worse.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There are over 4000 places to pull in for a rest of more than a couple of hours in the UK. They are called CLs and CSs. If it is just a rest that is required then location close to town centres isn't all that important. There are plenty of 5 van sites close to major roads and (unlike HGV drivers for instance) we all have the freedom to plan our trips so that we don't over tire ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That suggestion is so far removed from the real world I don't know what to say. :) I can just imagined the chaos created by driving into a boggy field in December.

So much different here in France where I am at the moment. I know you don't come here, but you should come and see. It would open your eyes.:)

• Like Like x 5
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

So don't plan on using a CL that is likely to be a boggy field then. As I said we all have the freedom to plan our trips. What is wrong with people taking responsibility for themselves?

I don't need to go to France to see what is there because I've read plenty. France has about 60% more motorhomes than the UK has for a similar population and is a transit route for foreign motorhomes as well so it's hardly surprising that the country should be more disposed to providing aires.

This sort of comment about France appears on all similar threads to this one - but how many commentators actually do something about aires in the UK instead of expecting somebody else to do it for them?

• Like Like x 1
  11. big map

big map Funster Life Member

I have contacted Poole Council regarding the possibility of setting up an aire in Baiter Park, the motorhome parking is already there as are the water and loos. I have said that they could use it as an income generator by charging for overnight parking. It also might stop some of the travelling community parking there during the summer months. #notanimby

• Like Like x 6
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Good for you. Hope you are successful.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

I agree with the premise of the above, but based on our own experiences I can't agree with the figures. If you say that more CLs/CS's close between Oct and April than stay open, we are left with less than 2000. If you discount the Grass Only sites you will be down to Hundreds. We use our M/H all year and it becomes an increasing problem. Both Clubs close most sites in winter and the number of Councils putting up the M/H not welcome signs grows. We will continue to spend time and money where we believe we are welcome and increasingly this will be outside the U.K.
    Cheers
    Bernie

• Like Like x 6
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

OK, I accept that some sites close over winter. I don't actually know the figures though. It might be interesting to find out.

I'm interested in the statement "the number of Councils putting up the M/H not welcome signs grows". In the last 9 years the number of councils which provide daytime parking for motorhomes has actually increased. Restrictions on camping on street and in car parks have only been implemented in response to problems caused for other people.

EDIT. I checked on the CC web site and just over 1500 of approximately 2500 CLs are open all year. It isn't possible to do a similar blanket search on the C&CC site but if it is a similar proportion that would be about 900.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes.. but only 706 of these have hard standing suitable for motorhomes..

650 also have an EHU

16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the use of cl/cs also entails membership of a club which not all of us want join

• Like Like x 3
  17. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

We tend to stay on Sites/CL's/Aires in or near villages or towns so that we can walk or cycle to shops/pubs/restaurants.
    In France this is just so easy whilst in UK it is not!

• Like Like x 2
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Strange Jim. My search of Open All Year & Suitable for Motorhomes returned over 1500.
    The use of French aires entail crossing the channel which not all of us want to do :)
    We found it pretty easy in the UK this year, as usual. See the links in this thread :)

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

not suitable if they don't have hard standing

apply .'with hard standing' filter

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's a debatable point I suppose :)