Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Olley, that's another great scheme we don't have over here, at least to my knowledge.

I'll post an intro at the other place and, if you're so inclined, maybe you could embellish it. Who knows, we might start a new trend here. For free? I doubt it.

Not quite the same, but a number of Framily members invite others to camp at their place. We've stayed at several folks' places across the U.S., from a zoned (i.e. has planning permission) RV lot in Arizona to a driveway in New Mexico to a lot in the Ocala National Forest in Florida. But we prefer not to overstay our welcome.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I once called at a site nr brecon they told me our customers want to see the beacons not the side of your rv.on the subject of aires and farmers land all these lovelly ideas go out the window when billy lee Itinerant turns up and wont move on

Correct and spoils it for all:Doh:

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Generators are a pain wherever they are used except in the middle of a desert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
In defense of farmers, and I can only talk about Dorset, is getting change of use for the areas that the vans/caravans will park up on. Then also as somebody else mentioned, very few farms produce a range of products. So where is the incentive?

Like to buy a whole live cow Mrs? No can't butcher it for you! DEFRA say it must go through an approved abbatoir No, it won't fit in your freezer!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ian

M

michaelc

Deleted User
In answer

hI, Well i live in Exmouth only a few miles away from BS, and I pass this way when I go fishing, The last time I went along this road there had to be around 4 to 5 campervans all parked up. Out of interest I had a little look and what did I see, grey water valves open allowing dirty water to flow down the road, and all the bins in the area full of waste food, yes sorry to say if I WAS local I would be mad to.
There is a small parking spot on the seafront at exmouth and for £5 you can park up for 24hours out of the way and still enjoy the sea views. I am sorry but some of these people above have been behaving like Itinerants, all that was missing was the broken down cars and washing lines.
terry

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Your dead right there mate, it seems to be disappearing fast.:Cool:

Hi
Couldn't agree more. There are standards, sink estates should not be transported to the lovelier places in our country. Always respect the neighbours!
Jan

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Not surprised

Im not surprised the locals are upset by the campervans in their area ,judgeing by the replies Ive just read.We all like a bit of free camping ,me especially, but the attitude Ive just read of some of you seems to be a real Pxxx Take .whats wrong with a low profile attitude. Why let waste water go in the street and go up on blocks etc,thats just asking for grief.Spoil it for everyone why dont you?.:cry:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When we return for a trip, we always make sure we park the coach in front of our house, not someone else's, while unloading and cleaning up before returning the coach to the storage lot. Same thing when we're preparing to leave. I wouldn't have the nerve to park in front of a neighbour's house, although several have told me it's OK..
Sometimes there's no pleasing folk though.

As i'm no gardener and don't know the difference between a daisy and a daffodil, i've been thinking of having my front lawn and border paved over. My adjoining neighbour who has a pretty garden which looks like its trimmed with nail scissors commented, "ermm, you won't be parking your van there will you?"

I could understand the concern if my van was 30 plus feet of a whacking huge RV.......but it's just a little swb Transit camper! The same neighbours often have relatives visiting who stick their Tonka Tanks up on the pavements right outside my front, yet there would be plenty of room to park in their driveway if only they could be arsed to shift their own car further up.

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
Sometimes there's no pleasing folk though.

My adjoining neighbour who has a pretty garden which looks like its trimmed with nail scissors commented, "ermm, you won't be parking your van there will you?"

you should have said,, no wont be parking it there on fridays and saturdays so that his friends can park there when they bring their tonka toys round..

let your neighbour know that it is a two way conversation when it comes to people parking vehicles etc...a bit of give and take on both sides and everyone is happy!:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
you should have said,, no wont be parking it there on fridays and saturdays so that his friends can park there when they bring their tonka toys round..

let your neighbour know that it is a two way conversation when it comes to people parking vehicles etc...a bit of give and take on both sides and everyone is happy!:thumb:

Actually my reply was, "oh,never thought of that....that's a good idea!"

A friend of mine who has a lwb Transit MH, his wife was concerned about possible neighbour problems before they bought theirs and suggested they ask them if they were ok about it. Her husband replied. "no, you don't say anything. We go and buy it and park it in our driveway and if they don't like it, i'll shift it as soon as they start paying my rates!"

B

bq125rex

Deleted User
devon hate the worlds NEED TO COME INTO THE TOURIST WORLD

:Angry:
My wife and i have just returned from a tour of Devon Somerset and Cornwall in our motorhome. My wife is disabled. Devon do not want tourists in Torquay Paignton or Exmouth as they make the place untidy. We made a hasty retreat back to Cornwall after 2 days trying to park in Devon. !!!!!!!!!!!! There is a simple solution------- Open the car parks to motorhome tourists who have a right under the equal oportunities laws of this country to park a legally insured and taxed vehicle in a council carpark. And get rid of the draconian By Laws that do not allow you to over sleep on your horse and cart in carparks on your way to market, ON WHICH THE BY LAW FOR OVERNIGHT SLEEPING IS BASED. As For The Councillors -------- GO TO THE CONTINENT WHERE TOURISTS ARE APPRECIATED AND SEE HOW THE EUROPEAN FOLK APPRECIATE THE MONEY WE PUT INTO THE ECONOMY

Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery

VISITORS parking campervans overnight outside homes on Budleigh Salterton seafront are making neighbours' lives a misery.

Residents living along the prestige Marine Parade say they have had enough of being disturbed by campervan owners, who park up their large vans, start up noisy generators and set up temporary camp for the night.

Neighbours say 17 campervans have outstayed their welcome since the beginning of October last year - three braved the weather over Christmas and four vans set up temporary home last weekend.

The county council highways team told the Journal it was powerless to stop the campers because of the current parking regulations.

A Devon County Council spokesman said: "The parking on Marine Parade is not restricted between September 30 and May 1, so vehicles are perfectly entitled to park in the designated parking bays.

"If the concern is more of an environmental health issue over someone living in a camper van, then unfortunately that is not the responsibility of Devon County Council."

Nicola Daniel, of Marine Parade, said she and her neighbours were regularly disturbed by the noise and presence of the large vans.

"Satellite dishes are deployed, some have generators, waste water spills onto the road and our 'visitor' last Sunday put out his jacks to level his van," she said.

"The Caravan Club code specifically frowns on this type of camping. It is camping on the cheap and is an abuse of Budleigh Salterton hospitality.

"The frequency of visits makes me wonder if Budleigh Salterton seafront is on a web-site or list of best free 'stopovers'.

"Councillor Christine Channon is looking into this problem for us, but it appears this issue is not, surprisingly, covered by any bye-laws, despite the fact that overnight camping in the East Devon town car parks is banned for obvious reasons."

Budleigh Salterton mayor Councillor John Shiel urged Marine Parade residents to lodge their concerns with the town's ward members - Councillors Ray Franklin, Steve Hall and Malcolm Florey - who can lobby East Devon District Council to take action.

"It must be very upsetting for the people living along Marine Parade," said Cllr Shiel.[/QUOTE]

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi BQ', a good point, well made. Welcome to the forum:thumb:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Up untill 4 years ago I lived in Exmouth ( 18year untill I moved to Yeovil) and as far as I can remember parking was allowed for Mh on Queens Drive at the Orcombe point end. Budliegh Salterton on the other hand has always been an "upmarket snob's place"
Lin

P

paulejw

Deleted User
Have a point

No I think the people of Budleigh Salterton have a fair point. I would not like it if someone parked their motorhome directly outside my home and started a gen going late into the night.

That is why when compiling my list of motorhome stop over locations I try to pick areas that are not directly conflicting with anybody. However this is sometimes impossible, I would like to think that if someone parked their motorhome near someones home they would take extra care not to upset the locals.

Maybe we should be appologizing etc now we know there is a problem to avoid that area.

I will only include day parking within their large car park away from residential homes within my database at.

http://www.motorhomelist.co.uk/parking.htm

If anybody knows of the exact address please let me know so that I can check that any of my database locations are well away from this problem area.

Lets not have councils having a negative view of motorhomes.

P

paulejw

Deleted User
Have a point

No I think the people of Budleigh Salterton have a fair point. I would not like it if someone parked their motorhome directly outside my home and started a gen going late into the night.

That is why when compiling my list of motorhome stop over locations I try to pick areas that are not directly conflicting with anybody. However this is sometimes impossible, I would like to think that if someone parked their motorhome near someones home they would take extra care not to upset the locals.

Maybe we should be appologizing etc now we know there is a problem to avoid that area.

I will only include day parking within their large car park away from residential homes within my database at.

Motorhome Parking

If anybody knows of the exact address please let me know so that I can check that any of my database locations are well away from this problem area.

Lets not have councils having a negative view of motorhomes.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry guys but I'm afraid I agree with the residents. If you paid upwards of 500k for a house with a sea view how would you like it if a stream of motorhomers parked all the way along the front of your house blocking your view, dumping waste water along the road and running gennies late at night? We need to be more considerate of others and in my view this behavior does nothing to further our desire for Aire type stopovers. :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back