Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by News, Feb 28, 2008.

1. News

News NewsHound

EXMOUTH JOURNAL 28th February 2008

Motorhomes Cause Seafront Misery

VISITORS parking campervans overnight outside homes on Budleigh Salterton seafront are making neighbours' lives a misery.

Residents living along the prestige Marine Parade say they have had enough of being disturbed by campervan owners, who park up their large vans, start up noisy generators and set up temporary camp for the night.

Neighbours say 17 campervans have outstayed their welcome since the beginning of October last year - three braved the weather over Christmas and four vans set up temporary home last weekend.

The county council highways team told the Journal it was powerless to stop the campers because of the current parking regulations.

A Devon County Council spokesman said: "The parking on Marine Parade is not restricted between September 30 and May 1, so vehicles are perfectly entitled to park in the designated parking bays.

"If the concern is more of an environmental health issue over someone living in a camper van, then unfortunately that is not the responsibility of Devon County Council."

Nicola Daniel, of Marine Parade, said she and her neighbours were regularly disturbed by the noise and presence of the large vans.

"Satellite dishes are deployed, some have generators, waste water spills onto the road and our 'visitor' last Sunday put out his jacks to level his van," she said.

"The Caravan Club code specifically frowns on this type of camping. It is camping on the cheap and is an abuse of Budleigh Salterton hospitality.

"The frequency of visits makes me wonder if Budleigh Salterton seafront is on a web-site or list of best free 'stopovers'.

"Councillor Christine Channon is looking into this problem for us, but it appears this issue is not, surprisingly, covered by any bye-laws, despite the fact that overnight camping in the East Devon town car parks is banned for obvious reasons."

Budleigh Salterton mayor Councillor John Shiel urged Marine Parade residents to lodge their concerns with the town's ward members - Councillors Ray Franklin, Steve Hall and Malcolm Florey - who can lobby East Devon District Council to take action.

"It must be very upsetting for the people living along Marine Parade," said Cllr Shiel.

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Whose been upsetting the locals then?:Cool:

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Dunno!

Fishermen?:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

4. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Right, who fancies putting up a 'Budleigh Salterton seafront' meet then :Wink::Rofl1:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Council powerless to stop us it would seem:Rofl1::BigGrin:

6. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

You beat me to it :Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It was'nt,???? it is NOW!!!:Rofl1:

8. Road Runner

And scooter roaring up the road at all hours:Wink::Laughing:

9. StAubyns

StAubyns Read Only Funster

There is an absolutely enormous sea front car at Buddleigh Salterton, away from the houses.

Why not let the MH's use this? There are no height barriers, and you can park for 24 hours, it just says no sleeping in vehicles.

It could be made into a stopover like Canterbury, but I suppose that is to sensible for the local council

Geoff

10. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

hi i am afraid they are worried about our caravan friends who do driveways :Doh:

RAY:Wink:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

one word.............tough!

12. TJ-RV

TJ-RV Deleted User

Sound like gypsies. Like the folks in the U.S. who stay in Wal*Mart parking lots. Why don't these people pay for a campsite or rent space in a field from a sympathetic farmer who wants to make a few quid?

If they parked in my street uninvited, they'd only want to do it once.

13. olley

olley Funster

Hi you guys can take the mick all you like, but sometimes we are our own worst enemies, would I like a pile of motorhomes outside my house, No way.

If we continue to upset people by irresponsible parking, don't be surprised if laws come in banning wildcamping everywhere. Then you will be doing some more grizzling about loss of freedoms.

Olley

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There are always a few that ruin it for all. We have all come across inconsiderate campers. And we know that there are those that will moan about anything just for the sake of it. Two moans to a council can get motorhomes barred from anywhere. The council do not take into consideration the thousands that do not complain, just the two that do. Examples of the minority ruling the majority can be seen everywhere, but that's probably best on another thread:Cool:

Staying on topic though. I lived right next door to and overlooked a massive car park in Chichester for ten years, It could get busy at weekends and in the summer, some campers would stop overnight. I didn't complain, the carpark was there before I moved to the area and I already owned a nice motorhome myself. Essentially it had no effect on me or my life, all i could see was campers enjoying themselves. Maybe though, if I didn't have a motorhome, was small minded, petty and jealous, I might have complained about the overnighting. :RollEyes:

15. Road Runner

Plus what most other countries do realise is motor homes bring money to the area and most are tourist dependant.

I listen to Eileen tell me how Wales tries to block applications to make places tourist friendly yet advertise on TV and put flyer's in every magazine trying to get you to come to wales:Doh:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  16. olley

olley Funster

Hi jim compaining about people overnighting on a carpark that you live next door to is hardly the same as them parking in front of your house.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy too, our new neighbours have been parking a 7.5ton lorry in our narrow road and on the path, making it difficult to get past, and impossible for me in the RV without mounting the verg, after some moaning he now puts it in his drive, now why didn't he do that in the first place?

Its just consideration for other people, something that sadly seems to be lacking in our modern world.

Olley

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Your dead right there mate, it seems to be disappearing fast.:Cool:

18. 2escapees

2escapees Deleted User

As always the inconsiderate few spoil it for everyone. Sadly a few comments on this thread suggest that maybe some of those people are signed up here as members!

19. thefman

thefman Read Only Funster

lighten up dude:Smile: this is mhfun not mhglum.

20. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008