Motorhomes are not just for holidays

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by joner8888, May 15, 2013.

1. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Thank goodness i have a MH---

Builders are taking over my house for a week for internal alterations.

Would have cost £££`s with kids and be bored relentless in a hotel:cry:
    We can stay in the MH , spend a bit and travel around, good eh! :thumb:

• Like Like x 12
  2. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Van

I have taken mine to work before when I have done two really long shifts with minimum rest between - "home" in two minutes!

Great to use when doing the house up too, somewhere clean and quiet to retreat to when the house is in chaos etc.

Russell

• Like Like x 2
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Also useful if fallen out with wife! :Rofl1:

Wyn

• Like Like x 10
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Great too for getting away from the IN-LAWS:Wink:

I state " just going to check the MH" come back when they are gone!!!!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Detnor

Detnor Funster

We lost all electricity to the house recently.
    While waiting for the supply company, fridge contents moved from house to van, kettle made ready etc.
    8 hours later we had electricity again (and a big hole in the road), no real inconvenience, another tick for the van!:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

When we had floods in my area, I was one of the lucky ones that didn't get affected. My motorhome was available as temporary accomodation for any of my (nicer) neighbours.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

When we had ours and the boiler in the ouse packed up just after Christmas we used the MH for hot showers evey day until the boiler was fixed :thumb:

8. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:UPSETS MISERABLE NEIGHBORS TOO
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I have used ours for all the above reasons and especially when I moved offices,when working,for some time there was nowhere for me to go. So armed with a mobile phone and laptop I set up in the van on the local sea front. I even held meetings in it much to the surprise and interest of my colleagues. I was very disappointed when they finished my office!
    I went on a training course and our 'wonderful', newly named HR Department omitted to book accommodation for me,so I took the van and at first parked in the car park of the venue where the course was. Whilst talking to a member of the staff about motorhomes,I was told of a farm site less than a mile from the course venue,it was out of season,but they were friends of my tipster and we did a deal on fees with hook up. I used the van on some subsequent courses,in fact iI usually met up with previous participants who asked me if I was in the van.
    I had a very pleasant stay and the added bonus was I was reimbursed with site fees,fuel costs and meal costs AND it was cheaper than the accommodation they forgot to book for me!:thumb:
    It also comes into its own when we are at scouting events as a secure location or on camps a nice 'bolthole' to go to and sometimes a 'first aid post' or communications centre. I also have used the van with other voluntary work as a control and information point.

• Like Like x 3
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Some great replies but just a note of caution. Many MH insurance policies do not cover business use (including commuting) so it is worth check if yours does before doing so.

11. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Ours is a second vehicle, my husband is in a car pool so I take the van to work occasionally if it is too wet or cold to ride the motorbike. Very handy in a power cut and very useful for parties to put the extra food and drinkies in. Also a spare bedroom for when the kids friends come to stay. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

Think storing the MH at our house would be rather threatening-never did fancy eviction!::cry::cry:

13. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Ours will once again be providing accommodation for my club's service rifle team at Bisley this year!:thumb:

14. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I've used the fridge in the mh to put extra "Christmas" food in over the past few years. Also we get power cuts from time to time, so just go out and use the gas cooker when necessary:thumb:

Bill tends to keep a stash of beers in the fridge as well, I discovered this by accident recently:RollEyes: He snores dreadfully as well, so at least if things get too bad there is somewhere for me to escape to:thumb:
    Margaret

• Like Like x 3
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's what it's for isn't it? :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Spenders

Spenders

I don't think I've ever fallen out with your wife Wyn...... should I be on my best behaviour??

Simon

17. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We used our MH over Christmas and New year when our son was over from New Zealand, although it was cold out we were nice and toasty and the added bonus was when our 5 year old granddaughter was awake in the early hours due to jet lag we were oblivious in our own warm en-suit MH with tea only a few steps away. :thumb:

18. spitfire

spitfire Funster

When our daughter and husband are here and we have other visitors too and house is full it is a fight between her and us ad to who stays in the van ! She and hubby usually win :cry: they love it , en suite , in room tea making and tv !! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Branston1080

Branston1080 Funster

Home from home!

I do a weekly commute and stay in the van during the week. Far better than a hotel. It's home from home, making being away that bit easier. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I too lived in mine during the week while at work as home was 60 miles away on slow roads taking nearly 2 hours that and doing 12 hour plus days in a truck, the last thing you want is more driving