Motorhomer's Waving (1 Viewer)

mickyb

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
We had our first season last year as motorhomers, changing from tugging after 16yrs. We had hired a couple of motorhomes out in the 90's so we were acustom to waving to fellow friendly motorhomer's on the road when safe to do so of course. If we did miss anyone I appologise, my feble excuse , well I was probably concetrating on the driving or sometimes the glare on the windscreens of oncoming traffic especially on the other carriageway makes it impossible to see whether its occupents are waving or not. Anyway on our 4hr journey during the October half term we headed for our campsite and as usual waved uncountably to other motorhomers i.e. when overtaking or stopping for breaks. On arriving at the site, where we spent a lovely week, there were as expected lots of motorhomes, what we found very strange was that when passing their owners very few of them actually made any attempt to
acknowledge us, most not even returning a "good morning" or "lovely day", my wife looked at me in astonishment, where have all those friendly motorhomer's gone she said?? my 14yr old Daughter piped up & laughed "they must have all gone to different site to us":thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you cant have waved at any FUNSTERS then.:ROFLMAO:

we wave at anything.....minibus, icecream vans, horsebox's, builders vans, police vans and just occasionally, motorhomes.
we aint fussy. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
waving

they all recognised you from all those years ago as a tugger, when you slowed them down or got in the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oooooooops,,, but come on folks time to forgive and forget,,, they are now one of us,,,, soeverybody send a quick wave and drive them mad,, how many waves makes the site go into melt down,, sorry jim,,,,
welcome realy,,, just kidding :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:bloody tuggers

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I wave at anything and everything, though motorhomes usually get a full hand wave, hee hee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry, not a waver, drive commercials most of the time and if if I waved to all the others I would probably have a dislocated shoulder.
It was probably a very nice action in days gone by. Perhaps time to move on ?:Cool:

Upvote 0

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We wave to every thing as well usually get waves back but if not we dont care cause we are having fun waving

Upvote 0

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I waved at a "Motorhome" on Thursday returning home with my new motorhome. The policeman in the transit van seemed a little confused :Blush::Smile:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
we always wave regardless of whether or not people wave back sometimes it can be, because your wave isnt seen or something else is more important to concentrate on roadwise

Do a thread search there are a few on this

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I dunno !!!

Hands up all those who did not read the whole post then !!

Come on !!!

own up !

MickyB said folk WAVED at them whilst on the road .. it was when meeting other vanners in person they got the coolio ..

I think really you may have been unlucky as every where we go we always spend ages chatting to our new neighbours :Smile:

Errrr.. just a thought
You do not resemble Frankenstein or walk around with a lion on a rope or anything do you ? ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dunno !!!

Hands up all those who did not read the whole post then !!

Come on !!!

own up !

MickyB said folk WAVED at them whilst on the road .. it was when meeting other vanners in person they got the coolio ..

::bigsmile:

sorry mate. take your own advise and re-read the post.

mickyb said they waved at all and sundry.
not once did he say they got waves in return.

i realise the gist was the miserable buggers on site not saying hello etc

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit I wave at any motorhomes that travel in the opposite direction, but more don't now days, its a pity.

The best wave back I got was a Dutch motorhome in Scotland and the lady nearly shook her hand off, and the smile that went with it was a sight to behold, and brightened the day for myself and my wife.

So I say keep waving.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I wave to anybody, if I remember and I talk to anybody, I just love chatting to folk you learn allsorts.Like shall I avoid em next time hee hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
i get funny looks
drivin the works transit
high top white wiv red and yella stripes at the bottom
when i wave

Attachments

• vivitar 11 04 8 037.JPG
    vivitar 11 04 8 037.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
I think its still a nice gesture, although new to motorhomong I too am a proffessional driver, and never tire of being waved at or waving too fellow driver, but it is obviously a personal choice, you will be sure to get a wave from me.:Smile:

Upvote 0

leeks

Free Member
Sep 23, 2009
northumberland
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I sometimes forget I 'm in the car and wave, still no harm done. I enjoy waving and been waved at so keep the tradition going.:thumb:

Leeks:Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
nice to wave

HI ALL
I did think in my last motorhome being an old one H REG that some motorhomers did not wave because off that but i was wrong. now we 05 motorhome and the same still happens some people are not in to waving :thumb:

Upvote 0

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
Sorry, not a waver, drive commercials most of the time and if if I waved to all the others I would probably have a dislocated shoulder.
It was probably a very nice action in days gone by. Perhaps time to move on ?:Cool:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thats why the industry your in has gone the way it has no one to teach the up and comeing :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
When we first got our motorhome I drove it home and about a mile from home another motorhomer waved at me, I sat for hours trying to think who was this person who must have known me to wave.

When we first took it out we found more 'wavers' and it clicked now what was going on. We now always wave at others whenever we can do, on the road and on sites etc.

It reminds me of when I was a kid and we used to drive to Spain, (before the time of cheap flights) and us kids used to wave to every car with a GB sticker.:thumb:

Upvote 0

kenanpat

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
Yes we always wave to fellow motorhomers with mixed results, used to do this when we first towed a caravan (late 1960's) when it really WAS fun.:thumb:.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We are official WAVERS, when On site I am a MOTORHOME NUT. Never have i not been able to talk my way in to someone elses van for a look at the layout and a brief chat about what's on board.:thumb:

I am A SADO just ask the kids:Sad:

Upvote 0

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
I drive a Blue Vetra estate and spend a lot of time driving from the Midland to Salisbury down the M5 and I wave at all the MH, this sometimes gets surprised looks, I’m just wishing it was me driving the MH instead of working.
So if you see a mad old bald man waving at you make his day and wave back:thumb:

Upvote 0

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
It reminds me of when I was a kid and we used to drive to Spain, (before the time of cheap flights) and us kids used to wave to every car with a GB sticker.:thumb:

Yes you're right. In late 50's and early 60's we always used to drive down to Italy or Spain for holiday. Used to take about 5 days each way then (well it did with my dad driving:roflmto:) and we used to look out for other GB cars and wave like long lost friends when we saw one. It was so easy to recognise the cars from a distance by the models as British cars were never sold in Europe (except Rolls & Minis :roflmto: )

Although new to motorhoming I always wave at others, unless I have not spotted them, but am not particularly bothered if they don't wave back. I don't take it personal:ROFLMAO: Just think it's a friendly thing to do

Garry

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That just reminded me of last August, off we went in a shiny new toy.

We waved, we still wave.

I identify cpmpletely with the English abroad in the old days comments.

Trouble is if I am not concentrating properly - I wave at people on motorbikes too esp if 2 up - my bike pilot said it's de rigueur for me to wave in case he hasn't got a hand he can spare at that exact moment. In my confusion I completely miss the next 3 m'h's.

Our m/h travels are interspersed with either - you miserable old gits - I hope you get stuck in the mud/your loo gets blocked/you run out of gas, oh perhaps that's why they didn't wave! comments or - wasn't that nice! - everybody waved today!

I would like to assure everyone that reads this, that we appreciate every single acknowledgement from every single road user and if we don't return it, it's only because he was changing gear and I've dropped something essential into that pesky too-low door pocket. (Or possibly Tom has just fallen off the windscreen and we are just coming up to a junction we think we need!)

Upvote 0

long range

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
Funster No
Waving

hi, I think it nice to wave, I wave for my hubby as I usually see them before him, dont worry his eye sight is ok,:Eeek: just concentrating of driving :thumb: gail + denis

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i hope it doesnt go the same way as the bikers nod.

in the 70's and early 80's nearly every biker would either nod or flash their headlight.

in the last year, riding again, i bearly saw a single aknowledgement from other bikers. :Sad:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back