artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
If you look at the road on google there are hardly any houses along Shore Rd so no direct local residents to up set.

I would say its the jolly green giant showing its head "They have a free sea view" tells all imho

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
It's all about numbers. A few vans would be acceptable but, if as the article says, there are lots them and they go on to block the pavement, I may feel some sympathy for the locals. Imagine if the situation were to occur near to your home.
Let's face it there ARE some selfish motorhomers. Not everyone conforms to the high standards of those on this forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not sure what the restrictions are now in Swanage, I stopped visiting 10 years ago when they used signage stating any vehicle with cooking facilities including my small camper were bared from all areas in the town. :Sad:

Lets face it, would anyone want lines of motor homes taking over their town.:Wacko:

We want to sit as close to the sea as possible and cook food from an out of town supermarket. :Cool:

Others want to park their cars as close to the sea as possible, spend the day on the beach, eat in local eateries then return to their hotel in the town.:Cool:

If I lived close to or had a business close to lines of motor homes I would be the first to protest. :Angry:

A busy popular area next to the sea is ok for one or two motor homes but that's not the reality, this is why locals get upset and we end up with draconian measures to keep us out. :shout:

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Its very difficult to judge without first hand experience of course. I remember using the aires in France 15 years ago and thinking how some were taking liberities and it looked liek they were living there. Spoils it for everyone

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
As always to park up on your own fine nobody minds, but once it becomes on mass day in day out problems.
When will people learn, you can only push the locals so far.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just love this response

The owners of these have most likely paid their road tax, insurance MOT's work for a living and are not trying to sell you dodgy tarmac.
So most likely as honest citizens, the council will ban them.

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
some cracking comments there, wonder what the lorry driver is delivering to the beach :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
mmm! Don't we see a resemblence to the local debate over a certain Cornish haunt here?

Same old accusations, same old gripes. At the end of the day, those travelling around will visit local campsites/cl's - there are hundreds of them, and when I passed through off season - they were all bursting at the seams!

So I can hardly see how campsite owners are losing out - they are at capacity and demand is outsripping supply...maybe the council should look into supplying more campsites (planning apps or promoting more cl's) or even supply an aire in the region - then they can ban overnight parking on the front without a problem and still keep the tourists in the region spending money.

Problem with places like this, as I have said many times before - they want the money but not the agro - truth is, you cannot have one without the other...unless it is planned and managed well.

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
The other day some fool roared past me in his car. I was doing 70mph (car)on the motorway and he must have been doing 100 in his sports car. I think its time the govern. banned all sports cars, they are a real nuisance...:Doh::whatthe::roflmto::roflmto:

I accept there are one or two who take liberties but I pay rates, I pay road fund tax. I would always look for a place that did not block someones windows/house etc so I think I should be able to park up, if its legal to park where ever I want. Its againsnt my european human rights that just because I have a lickle motorhome I am victimised and not wanted:cry::cry:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
mmm! Don't we see a resemblence to the local debate over a certain Cornish haunt here?
Same old accusations, same old gripes. At the end of the day, those travelling around will visit local campsites/cl's - there are hundreds of them, and when I passed through off season - they were all bursting at the seams!
So I can hardly see how campsite owners are losing out - they are at capacity and demand is outsripping supply...maybe the council should look into supplying more campsites (planning apps or promoting more cl's) or even supply an aire in the region - then they can ban overnight parking on the front without a problem and still keep the tourists in the region spending money.
Problem with places like this, as I have said many times before - they want the money but not the agro - truth is, you cannot have one without the other...unless it is planned and managed well.

Are we referring to nuisance parking or "wild camping"........:winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
NOTE to Self; Must have a talk to call me Dave, re. tightening of Border Security on River Tamar, the buggers are still escaping! :whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The local tax paying residents have made a complaint to the council .. and whether we agree or not is academic ..

This issue is arising all around our coast line, from Northumberland to Cornwall, councils are having to deal with irate locals who are fed up with motorhomers who fill up car parks and use them as camp sites.. and who can blame them ?

Not only in the UK, it has happened in Spain, Portugal and Morocco .. there are also many car parks and beauty spots in Scotland that now have either height barriers and or restrictions on overnight parking.

The problem is not lack of sites, IMO it's the cost ..... sites that are charging way over the top to park up for the night .. and in these cash strapped times many just can't afford or want to pay £15 - £20 or more for a pitch.. it's a lack of affordable MH stopping places that is the real problem.

just my opinion..

Jim

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It was always difficut enough to park a ruddy car in Swanage (to go shopping!) in the first place years ago and I have no reason to believe it's any easier now.

Bus services to outlying areas - you know like Ulwell where there are a couple of campsites! - were few and far between so you couldn't rely on them. Perhaps they are marvellous now so if you do go camping in any of its forms you can easily use it and the local shops?

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
As always to park up on your own fine nobody minds, but once it becomes on mass day in day out problems.
When will people learn, you can only push the locals so far.

A French aire system here in the UK would help to solve this problem, but in this case if you ban just motor homes it will fill up with cars who have travelled there with full fuel tanks and food from their home fridges, and they to will open their car doors onto the pavement and tie and walk their dogs.

We really are the MOANERS of the World :roflmto:

Mick

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
Not sure what the restrictions are now in Swanage, I stopped visiting 10 years ago when they used signage stating any vehicle with cooking facilities including my small camper were bared from all areas in the town. :Sad:

Lets face it, would anyone want lines of motor homes taking over their town.:Wacko:

We want to sit as close to the sea as possible and cook food from an out of town supermarket. :Cool:

Others want to park their cars as close to the sea as possible, spend the day on the beach, eat in local eateries then return to their hotel in the town.:Cool:

If I lived close to or had a business close to lines of motor homes I would be the first to protest. :Angry:

A busy popular area next to the sea is ok for one or two motor homes but that's not the reality, this is why locals get upset and we end up with draconian measures to keep us out. :shout:
I couldn't agree more. As an ex resident of Swanage, I have always had the impression that they don't welcome visitors of any kind but it never seems to register that the town could not survive without tourists. The locals refer to their visitors as "Grockels" in a very derisory way. Like you, I have been moved on with a small campervan (5.40m) from one of the car parking bays on the overdrive. The main problem in Swanage has always been the availability of parking space and until the council recognise this, there will always be the same problem. I am like you, I avoid the place, it's their loss.
Adrian.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The other site of the argument when the council provides free parking .. albeit in Tasmania .. it's the same issue ..

Free Camp Sites Unfair

Battle lines are being drawn between councils and caravan park owners in Tasmania, who claim free camp sites are creating unfair competition.

In the past decade, councils around Tasmania have seized the economic opportunity created by a rise in campervan tourism by setting up free campsites.

Lloyd Meakin from Gowrie Park is one of four caravan park owners who have complained to the economic regulator.

He says it is unfair competition.

"I don't have a problem with free camping, it shouldn't be paid by ratepayers' money," he said.

The economic regulator agrees.

Spokeswoman Jane Hyland says the private operators are required to pay for things like insurance, rates and rubbish collection.

"That doesn't allow competition on an even footing," she said.

The councils are yet to act on the non-binding recommendations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/11/3213558.htm

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
The other site of the argument when the council provides free parking .. albeit in Tasmania .. it's the same issue ..

Free Camp Sites Unfair

Battle lines are being drawn between councils and caravan park owners in Tasmania, who claim free camp sites are creating unfair competition.

In the past decade, councils around Tasmania have seized the economic opportunity created by a rise in campervan tourism by setting up free campsites.

Lloyd Meakin from Gowrie Park is one of four caravan park owners who have complained to the economic regulator.

He says it is unfair competition.

"I don't have a problem with free camping, it shouldn't be paid by ratepayers' money," he said.

The economic regulator agrees.

Spokeswoman Jane Hyland says the private operators are required to pay for things like insurance, rates and rubbish collection.

"That doesn't allow competition on an even footing," she said.

The councils are yet to act on the non-binding recommendations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/11/3213558.htm

Is that the Tasmania just outside Poole Harbour.....?

Relevant?

Hmmm - I don't think so.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is that the Tasmania just outside Poole Harbour.....?

Relevant?

Hmmm - I don't think so.

errrrrrrrrrrrr no, but you know that.. :RollEyes:

and yes it is relevant, no matter the geographical location ... councils can't please camp site owners and local residents by providing motorhome parking .... damned if they do.. damned if they don't.. the only way to please both is to ban motorhomes from parking.
IMO .. that is why there are few aires in the UK and why many places now ban motorhomes.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Its very difficult to judge without first hand experience of course. I remember using the aires in France 15 years ago and thinking how some were taking liberities and it looked liek they were living there. Spoils it for everyone

We called at Jarnac Aire on the way down to Spain. 4 motor homes were hogging the 5 marked spaces making it impossible to use the other space. They had mini cognac barrels set out around them. They had all coupled up to the Bourne's fee electricity supply with cables draped over the fence making it impossible to drive through the Bourne.

When we called in on the way back the car park had been resurfaced and the motor home bays removed. The Bourne's electric point had been removed. We checked the signs and motor home parking is now banned between 20:00 and 08:00. Another place spoilt by the inconsiderate few.

I have had the experience in Northumberland of the sites being closed or full of static vans and CL/CSs fully booked in early September yet complaints were made to the council about motor homes parking overnight in remote car parks. This was apparently a one person vendetta. As soon as this person saw a van parked in the car parks around Amble and Duridge Bay they contacted the council and they then had to send someone out to investigate.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
errrrrrrrrrrrr no, but you know that.. :RollEyes:

and yes it is relevant, no matter the geographical location ... councils can't please camp site owners and local residents by providing motorhome parking .... damned if they do.. damned if they don't.. the only way to please both is to ban motorhomes from parking.
IMO .. that is why there are few aires in the UK and why many places now ban motorhomes.

Many of my friends and relatives are non-vaners they use hotels or B&B for any nights away.
If they fancy a break during the high season home or over sea’s they can have real difficulty booking first choice accommodation.:cry:

Should they say....... sod it I love Poole so we are going anyway. If we call in to Asda’s before we go, fill the boot with food, take a couple of sleeping bags then we can sleep outside the hotel.
They don’t check visitors at the reception so we can sneak in and out using the facilities, then park down at the beach during the day.
Saturdays are always busy so we can sleep on the beach that night, then we will have a prime parking position for next the day.

"Without hotel charges it will be a nice cheap weekend away"!!!:Cool:

Or.....should they try other resorts until they find suitable accommodation for the weekend.
Or.....should they protest to the council for more hotels. The council says hotel licensing takes into account the town’s facilities before issuing new licenses. Poole is over capacity during holiday weekends.
Or.....should they give up and book accommodation in Poole earlier for next year.
As a motor home owner....What should they do?:Cool:

OP
OP
artona

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Many of my friends and relatives are non-vaners they use hotels or B&B for any nights away.
If they fancy a break during the high season home or over sea’s they can have real difficulty booking first choice accommodation.:cry:

Should they say....... sod it I love Poole so we are going anyway. If we call in to Asda’s before we go, fill the boot with food, take a couple of sleeping bags then we can sleep outside the hotel.
They don’t check visitors at the reception so we can sneak in and out using the facilities, then park down at the beach during the day.
Saturdays are always busy so we can sleep on the beach that night, then we will have a prime parking position for next the day.

"Without hotel charges it will be a nice cheap weekend away"!!!:Cool:

Or.....should they try other resorts until they find suitable accommodation for the weekend.
Or.....should they protest to the council for more hotels. The council says hotel licensing takes into account the town’s facilities before issuing new licenses. Poole is over capacity during holiday weekends.
Or.....should they give up and book accommodation in Poole earlier for next year.
As a motor home owner....What should they do?:Cool:

IMHO not comparable. As it happens in France we ahve seen people camping in their cars but hotels are hotels and motorhomes are.....motorhomes. Obviously if a hotel is booked then you have to look elsewhere, just as you have to look for another parking space if the one you want is being used.

If motohomers start camping in the centre of town, in shop car parks etc etc then they are in the way but if they want to park by the beach or in the countryside and stay overnight whats the problem. The people who complain are jsut complainers. They arrive at the beach and see a motorhome and tutt and set about complaining. If someone had three dogs they would complain, after all if you must have a dog one is more than enough I can hear them saying.

If motorhomers want to park up for the day or overnight then we should be able to do so. If we not causing danger to other other motorists then whats the problem?

And to get back to the hotel comparison to follow that to its conclusion should we expect those who stay in hotels to initially spend £50k towards building them. You can often get a hotel room for cheaper than a campsite and they will throw in breakfast!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[FONT=&quot]IMHO not comparable. As it happens in France we ahve seen people camping in their cars but hotels are hotels and motorhomes are.....motorhomes. Obviously if a hotel is booked then you have to look elsewhere, just as you have to look for another parking space if the one you want is being used.
If motohomers start camping in the centre of town, in shop car parks etc etc then they are in the way but if they want to park by the beach or in the countryside and stay overnight whats the problem. The people who complain are jsut complainers. They arrive at the beach and see a motorhome and tutt and set about complaining. If someone had three dogs they would complain, after all if you must have a dog one is more than enough I can hear them saying.
If motorhomers want to park up for the day or overnight then we should be able to do so. If we not causing danger to other other motorists then whats the problem?

And to get back to the hotel comparison to follow that to its conclusion should we expect those who stay in hotels to initially spend £50k towards building them. You can often get a hotel room for cheaper than a campsite and they will throw in breakfast! [/FONT]
!
:helptitanic::helptitanic::helptitanic:
Could be a few more icebergs on the horizon.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Oh those saddo nimbys:Angry: this is why I do i t
Link Removed

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think a mountain is being made out of a molehill with the aire situation. Yes, it would cost money to set it up - but have an area set aside, with a waste disposal point/toilets on site.

Parking meter which charges your card, with vehicle registration number and issues a ticket - a code or your reg could be entered to activate any hook up/charge point and allow access to a facilities block. Many campsites have this already (coded facilities) The meter would then allow up to 48 hours, no return within 48 hours.

£15 a night would be acceptable I would have thought - yes expensive to set up, but no cash involved to be stolen, vandals cannot access the facilities - think it would work?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back