Motorhomers upset Swanage

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by artona, May 11, 2011.

1. artona

artona

2. artona

artona

If you look at the road on google there are hardly any houses along Shore Rd so no direct local residents to up set.

I would say its the jolly green giant showing its head "They have a free sea view" tells all imho

3. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

It's all about numbers. A few vans would be acceptable but, if as the article says, there are lots them and they go on to block the pavement, I may feel some sympathy for the locals. Imagine if the situation were to occur near to your home.
    Let's face it there ARE some selfish motorhomers. Not everyone conforms to the high standards of those on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  4. buttons

buttons Funster

Not sure what the restrictions are now in Swanage, I stopped visiting 10 years ago when they used signage stating any vehicle with cooking facilities including my small camper were bared from all areas in the town. :Sad:

Lets face it, would anyone want lines of motor homes taking over their town.:Wacko:

We want to sit as close to the sea as possible and cook food from an out of town supermarket. :Cool:

Others want to park their cars as close to the sea as possible, spend the day on the beach, eat in local eateries then return to their hotel in the town.:Cool:

If I lived close to or had a business close to lines of motor homes I would be the first to protest. :Angry:

A busy popular area next to the sea is ok for one or two motor homes but that's not the reality, this is why locals get upset and we end up with draconian measures to keep us out. :shout:

• Like Like x 4
  5. artona

artona

Its very difficult to judge without first hand experience of course. I remember using the aires in France 15 years ago and thinking how some were taking liberities and it looked liek they were living there. Spoils it for everyone

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

As always to park up on your own fine nobody minds, but once it becomes on mass day in day out problems.
    When will people learn, you can only push the locals so far.

• Like Like x 2
  7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Just love this response

The owners of these have most likely paid their road tax, insurance MOT's work for a living and are not trying to sell you dodgy tarmac.
    So most likely as honest citizens, the council will ban them.

• Like Like x 4
  8. artona

artona

some cracking comments there, wonder what the lorry driver is delivering to the beach :Rofl1::Rofl1:

9. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

mmm! Don't we see a resemblence to the local debate over a certain Cornish haunt here?

Same old accusations, same old gripes. At the end of the day, those travelling around will visit local campsites/cl's - there are hundreds of them, and when I passed through off season - they were all bursting at the seams!

So I can hardly see how campsite owners are losing out - they are at capacity and demand is outsripping supply...maybe the council should look into supplying more campsites (planning apps or promoting more cl's) or even supply an aire in the region - then they can ban overnight parking on the front without a problem and still keep the tourists in the region spending money.

Problem with places like this, as I have said many times before - they want the money but not the agro - truth is, you cannot have one without the other...unless it is planned and managed well.

• Like Like x 4
  10. artona

artona

The other day some fool roared past me in his car. I was doing 70mph (car)on the motorway and he must have been doing 100 in his sports car. I think its time the govern. banned all sports cars, they are a real nuisance...:Doh::Eek!::Laughing::Laughing:

I accept there are one or two who take liberties but I pay rates, I pay road fund tax. I would always look for a place that did not block someones windows/house etc so I think I should be able to park up, if its legal to park where ever I want. Its againsnt my european human rights that just because I have a lickle motorhome I am victimised and not wanted:cry::cry:

11. buttons

buttons Funster

Are we referring to nuisance parking or "wild camping"........:Wink:

12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

NOTE to Self; Must have a talk to call me Dave, re. tightening of Border Security on River Tamar, the buggers are still escaping! :Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  13. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

Goodness god forbid that we have a ''free sea view''. What next !

14. buttons

buttons Funster

Not a problem, find a nice spot with a lovely sea view, park your car and enjoy your day....... simples:Cool:

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The local tax paying residents have made a complaint to the council .. and whether we agree or not is academic ..

This issue is arising all around our coast line, from Northumberland to Cornwall, councils are having to deal with irate locals who are fed up with motorhomers who fill up car parks and use them as camp sites.. and who can blame them ?

Not only in the UK, it has happened in Spain, Portugal and Morocco .. there are also many car parks and beauty spots in Scotland that now have either height barriers and or restrictions on overnight parking.

The problem is not lack of sites, IMO it's the cost ..... sites that are charging way over the top to park up for the night .. and in these cash strapped times many just can't afford or want to pay £15 - £20 or more for a pitch.. it's a lack of affordable MH stopping places that is the real problem.

just my opinion..

Jim

• Like Like x 8
  16. sedge

sedge Funster

It was always difficut enough to park a ruddy car in Swanage (to go shopping!) in the first place years ago and I have no reason to believe it's any easier now.

Bus services to outlying areas - you know like Ulwell where there are a couple of campsites! - were few and far between so you couldn't rely on them. Perhaps they are marvellous now so if you do go camping in any of its forms you can easily use it and the local shops?

17. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

A French aire system here in the UK would help to solve this problem, but in this case if you ban just motor homes it will fill up with cars who have travelled there with full fuel tanks and food from their home fridges, and they to will open their car doors onto the pavement and tie and walk their dogs.

We really are the MOANERS of the World :Laughing:

Mick

• Like Like x 1
  18. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

I couldn't agree more. As an ex resident of Swanage, I have always had the impression that they don't welcome visitors of any kind but it never seems to register that the town could not survive without tourists. The locals refer to their visitors as "Grockels" in a very derisory way. Like you, I have been moved on with a small campervan (5.40m) from one of the car parking bays on the overdrive. The main problem in Swanage has always been the availability of parking space and until the council recognise this, there will always be the same problem. I am like you, I avoid the place, it's their loss.
    Adrian.

19. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Swanage - WASH

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The other site of the argument when the council provides free parking .. albeit in Tasmania .. it's the same issue ..

Free Camp Sites Unfair

Battle lines are being drawn between councils and caravan park owners in Tasmania, who claim free camp sites are creating unfair competition.

In the past decade, councils around Tasmania have seized the economic opportunity created by a rise in campervan tourism by setting up free campsites.

Lloyd Meakin from Gowrie Park is one of four caravan park owners who have complained to the economic regulator.

He says it is unfair competition.

"I don't have a problem with free camping, it shouldn't be paid by ratepayers' money," he said.

The economic regulator agrees.

Spokeswoman Jane Hyland says the private operators are required to pay for things like insurance, rates and rubbish collection.

"That doesn't allow competition on an even footing," she said.

The councils are yet to act on the non-binding recommendations.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/11/3213558.htm