Motorhomers Slated in Scottish Mail on Sunday

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by Stewart J, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Tried to find article so I could post a link for your enlightenment and comment. An article by Jane Simpson in todays Mail on Sunday Scottish edition paints a very negative view of motorhomers, Sub titled "Amid claims they ruin the scenery and stifle the economy" main title "Islanders declare war on the van-dals ".

From just one paragraph "Islanders argue that tourists in mobile homes destroy the beauty of the scenery by parking in inappropriate places, allowing their tyres tochurn up the ground and cause pollution with their chemical toilets.
    They also claim such visitors do nothing to boost the local economy as they generally bring their own accommodation and food meaning no income for B&B's or restaurants"

Its quite a big article so if someone can find and post a link it may be of interest to those thinking of visiting the western Isles. Basically it implies we are not welcome and should stay away unless you pay £10 or more for a croft site with no water, ehu waste or toilet disposal facilities. :Sad::Sad::Sad:

And here's me thinking tourism was an important mainstay in many of the Western Isles economies.

2. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

I have just watched the caravan channel show on sky (yes I am sad I know) and it was from the huge caravan and motorhome show in Dusseldorf and one of the halls is dedicated to all the tourist boards of Europe and the World promoting their countries to entice people to visit them for a holiday in a caravan / motorhome , the major absentee from this self promotion was Britain ( the presenter had a right old moan about this and so he should ) . Why is this country so anti motorhomes ??? surely the economy needs all the help it can get [​IMG]

3. lorger

lorger Funster

we spent 10days on the outer hebrides 3 years ago and loved it, we did take stuff with us but spent a lot of money in the local community. Stopping at cafes and restaurants just about every day we also played on 2 golf courses so im sure they made money out of us. I would love to go back and i dont mind paying to stay the night but £10 for just a field to park in is a bit much.

I would recommend it to anyone as a must do trip though awesome place

4. dc6947

dc6947 Read Only Funster

Yeah motorhomers bring noooo money to the local economy even when they wildcamp...

... they never buy a meal out when on holiday and prefer to hole up 24/7 in their van eating supplies of noodles and fray bentos pies which they bought before they came

... they never have to refuel at any point and wouldn't consider using local petrol stations

... they never ever do tourist things, visit attractions or anything like that

... and they wouldn't dream of buying souvenirs of their visit or sending a postcard home

... and you'd NEVER catch them recommending the great places they visited to all their family members, who may go online and book breaks in the B&B's/Hotels because they don't have motorhomes

I think it's sour grapes personally and a lot of shortsightedness / greed / idiocy.

• Like Like x 15
  5. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

And we're all tee total so the locals a no no :Rofl1:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

There was a thread about this some time ago.. same story .. and same objection to paying to camp.

Isn't this a contradiction ?

You object to paying £10 .. so assume to want to free camp.. How does this benefit the islanders or endear them to motorhomes ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Just a thought, "Am I the only Funster who does not read the Daily or Sunday Mail?"

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We recently visited the Highlands and Skye , we paid to stay on camp sites, bought food , drink, fuel, souvenirs and had some meals out locally. The sites we stayed on were busy, probably with tourists similar to us and spending their Groats as we did. Other than one little hitler C&CClub warden on Skye we were made to feel very welcome.
    This is probably a bit of over dramatised reporting by the Mail based on one or two moaning old scroats :shout:

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

10. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

I have never yet free-camped and have no objection whatsoever to paying for a pitch. However last year we rented a cottage on Tiree and I checked out and photographed every so called croft site.

Some would present a 4x4 with problems, others were quite frankly unsuitable for motorhomes of any size. None had access to any services whatsover, nearest toilet disposal is at Scarinish which could be a good drive from some sites on narrow single track roads.

My point in raising this post was to warn others to the fact that other islands are following Tiree's example,(http://www.isleoftiree.com/history-nat-heritage.html) the article implies motorhomers are not welcome which I fiind very objectionable and where in my post I raised any objection to paying to camp completely defeats me"

This will be my last post on this thread, now wishing I hadn't bothered in the first place

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

How does the article imply that motorhomers are not welcome? All it says is that we/they must act legally. What is unreasonable about that?

• Like Like x 2
  13. JJ

JJ Funster

No Norman... you are not...

...But I know what you mean...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

14. lorger

lorger Funster

You can add me to your list Norman never read it

15. jezport

jezport Funster

I visited the Western Isles after the last major press article, and found that the locals welcomed me and my van. Most these articles are page fillers when there is no news to fill the paper.

16. scotjimland

Turn this question around.... Why have motorhomers made themselves so unwelcome and not just in the Western Isles..

The UK mainland, NZ, Australia, and USA motorhomers have been in the news for all the worst reasons.. so there is no point in looking for a problem with the general population when the problem is with irresponsible motorhomers..

ALL of these places welcome responsible motorhomes .. but there is a minority who have spoiled the image and reputation, so now they are all tarred by the same brush.. .. one bad apple is all it takes and I've seen more than my share fair of bad apples..

• Like Like x 3
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

As i said earlier we tourd the isle a few years back and did spend money there, its the same when we use Aire's in France because we save money on site fees so we tend to do stuff in the local area. If we dont keep the place tidy and use some of the local facilities aswell as respecting the natives we will loose these places

• Like Like x 1
  18. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

And me.

19. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

whats a nudespaper

20. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Me too