Motorhomer’s & Caravaner’s

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whiskers27, Oct 8, 2009.

1. whiskers27

whiskers27 Read Only Funster

When I had my caravan and i turned up on a site late and it was raining or freezeing i can never remember a fellow caravaner asking if I would like a cuppa or any help however a few times I have been offered help and a drink by a motorhome owner, maybe its just i pitched next to unhelpful people in caravans.

Another thing i have noticed is the short space of time between my bad back and pig flu i went to the lincoln show, the amount of waves we got from fellow motorhome owners but i never did from other caravan owners.

Im just wondering why this is.

Cheers all

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

2. Pete45

Pete45 Read Only Funster

Did you waveat at motorhome when you had a caravan,did you ask if they would like a cuppa if they was pitched next to you,in your caravan ????????? :Doh:
    Arizona Chief

3. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Heres the strange thing. We sometimes wave at caravans, partly to cheer them up and also to play a game on route where you guess how many will pass before you get a wave back. Not many do wave. You can tell they have seem you by the look on their faces but not many acknowledge us. However, we played this game in Europe and particulary France and despite some ignoring us most were overjoyed and waved back. Why do you think that is then? Couldnt be our old class system once again could it? At the end of the day we are all campers!

Right go on then, rant away at me for being a tugger lover!

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

caravans, like tractors are the things causing the traffic jams in Devon, motorhomes (apart from the Beast) just fly along. I once tried fulltiming in a caravan for a whole six months but soon went back to a motorhome. The caravan was tatally relient on sites. Once you make that break from EHU and become self sufficient everything changes and you become happier, thats why motorhomers smile, wave and have fun. We have learnt the secret. Cut the umbilical and grow up, hee hee

5. aldhp21

aldhp21 Funster

Parked on a camp site near Cheltenham with 4 caravans. Nobody said a word to us, despite greeting them with a friendly "Morning". Thought my bald head and stunning good looks had put them off. :BigGrin: On our last day a motorhome turned up and they came straight over for a chat.

6. Pete45

Pete45 Read Only Funster

Like Barryd we play that game,just to see who will wuve back to american RV ???.me and Shirl wuve at caravans european motorhome,all of them just to see who will wuve back,a lot do but some,will not go into that.

7. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

The wife waves at horse boxes and buses.

She still hasn't figured out what a motorhome looks like on the other side of the road. :Rofl1:

8. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Just one more thing. Please dont wave across serveral lanes of motorway, in fact on any motorway / dual carriageway. Its dangerous and I wont wave back.

9. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

I'll mention it to the wife. :thumb:

10. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

I personally wave to ALL motorhomes and if they don't wave back, then my wave turns into a 'tosser' wave :BigGrin:

I was a tugger for about 10yrs, joined my local CC (Yorkshire Dales Club) and went away once with them, what a total set of wannabe snobs! never went again.
    Seems to me there is a pecking order with tuggers from the £150 caravaners with a G reg Cavalier (which seem the nicest) to the full blown brand new bessicarrrrrr every year with matching Range Rover (who seem to be the tossers in my experience and stick to their horsie lot).

One of my daughters accidently hit a new bessicar with one of those really light beachballs to which the owner came out screeming at her, when I went over to explain it was an accident and that it would not do any damage he said "you must think I'm stupid if you think I don't know what damage a football can do to a £27,000 caravan!"
    I said " noooo, I think your stupid to pay £27,000 for box made of aluminium to stick in the middle of a field mate!" :Laughing:

Boo

11. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

Its always a pleasure and never a chore:Smile:

12. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

The first trip out in our motorhome we quickly noticed that on the road people in other motorhomes waved at us. the first two MH's must have thought that we were stuck up as we were so surprised that we did not wave! However that was quickly rectified and we now appoint an official spotter and waver! I also tried waving at caravan's but the lack of response and the looks of distain made me stop that fairly quickly.

We have noticed that other MH owners do come over and have a chat and are generally more friendly although we cannot put all caravanners in the unfriendly catagory either.

Howie has very strong tea bags (the same blend that Scott had when he went to Antarctica) and is happy to offer a cup of tea to anyone rather than share his beer:beerchug:

13. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Considering what happened to him I think I will stick with the beer.:Rofl1:

14. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Thats why I stick to the wine and leave the tea and beer to Howie :wine:

15. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

As a tugger for a number of years, I have to disagree. Though I have to say, 99% of my tugging time was outside the UK.
    I always found tuggers to be very helpful and on the whole, more so than motorhomers, since I switched.
    Even now I have made more friends with tuggers than with motorhomers.
    I have an A class and a Hymer and find that owners of these motorhomes are guilty of the worst kind snobbishness. Owners of N&b and Concord's being the worst of all.
    RV owners think that if you don't own at least 30' of Yank metal you ain't worth talking to.

Pete:Cool:

16. Pete45

Pete45 Read Only Funster

We once owned a boat and had a great bunch of friends on the river. Sold that and got a caravan met a couple of people that was ok then met an RVer that was great so sold the caravan and got a nice little RV best thing we ever did. Went on one site and a caravaner said hope your not going to have that flag flapping all night keeping me awake but he had his genny on about 6hours a day.
    We have a friend with a hymer and know caravaners euro owners and RVers and at the end of the day we all do the same thing enjoy our time away in our 2nd homes.
    I always wave at campers no matter what they are in and most times they wave back.
    Shirl

17. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We are wavers, but when the wife drops off , I engage autopilot and wave with both hands :BigGrin::BigGrin:

18. Baker69

Baker69 Read Only Funster

Having been caravanners for about 12 years before getting our MH, we do find that MH'ers area a more friendly bunch!

There definitely does seem to be this "us and them" to some degree between Caravanners and MH'ers?

19. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

:Rofl1: I like it and perhaps we should all start using the "tosser" wave! Totally unrelated but your post reminded me of the last pages of Bravo Two Zero where at the end of Gulf War one an airliner is sent to Bagdad to pick up the British and American prisoners of war. As they fly back to Saudi 2 American Fighter planes come up along side and in true American Fashion salute at the returning heros and emotionally and proudly the American service men on the plane salute back. A few minutes later two British Tornados fly up alongside and through the window mouth "W..kers" and give our lads the "tosser" wave. Classic.

20. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Funny you mention this as it's totally the opposite experience for me.

Recently on site in east Germany i had a 'tugger' park up not far from me. German guy travelling alone. Went over to speak and he immediately offered me a seat, poured a beer and we struck up conversation pretty quick. Took meals together each evening until after four days we went our seperate ways to continue our tour. Five weeks later on my way back through Germany I contacted him and we've since become good friends and keep in touch.

As for the many other campervan and motorhome folks I came across during my travels, few if any showed any friendliness, and some were simply downright snoots.