motorhomeparking.co.uk

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by GJH, Jul 31, 2013.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I had intended simply closing the web site about now but changed my mind.

I have, however, removed all the results of FoI requests which are out of date and site user submissions whose current validity cannot be verified on an ongoing basis.

Instead, the site now contains verified links to parking pages on local authority web sites with notes detailing where motorhome specific information has been identified.

The site will take a lot less maintenance but, hopefully, will still provide useful information. When the web site was first set up in 2006 only a couple of councils mentioned motorhomes on their web sites. Now about 90 have details of whether motorhomes can or cannot use their car parks. Still far from a majority but an improving situation.

• Like Like x 40
  2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

nice one graham .i,m sure folk appreciate the work you have put in .
    if not i shall say thank you for them . thanks .

• Like Like x 6
  3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Great work Graham!

It was not for people like you, everyone would just wonder if but never ask.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Nice work, as always.. :thumb:

I wonder how quickly someone will steal the info and pretend its their own work.:cry:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can take the credit for many if not most of those Graham :clap:

• Like Like x 6
  6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

well done and good news you are keeping it going:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As I mentioned four weeks ago, the number of councils which provide details of whether motorhomes can or cannot use their car parks has increased from a couple to around 90.

During the first half of this week I wrote to all the approx 275 others (except those in Greater London as we all know how difficult parking is anyway in London) - asking them if they would consider providing such information on their web sites so that they keep it up to date and nobody else has to.

Happily, the early responses have been encouraging with most agreeing that it is a good idea and one or two have even taken more or less immediate action. Some councils have good reason (by the nature of their areas) not to be able to provide motorhome facilities but some already do and have simply not published information so far.

Even better though is the news from a number of councils that they are looking positively at providing more (at least daytime if not overnight) parking facilities for motorhomes in their areas over the next few months or so.

• Like Like x 11
  8. Merle

Merle Funster

I raise my hat to you sir :thumb: Thank you for your efforts, it is a shame you can not protect your results from easy riders :Angry:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks. The way the web site is structured now there is little or no incentive for people to plagiarise as the "meat" of the information is on the council web sites linked to :thumb:

10. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

• Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Dorset For You web site is a partnership between several of the councils in the county which provides details of a number of services, including parking. Motorhome parking is indicated by icons where allowed (including at park & ride sites), councils having recognised that they need to cater for tourists in motorhomes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just in case it's any use to anyone.

After a mention on the MCC forum today I've added a page for Discount Outlets.

Of course, I don't expect any snobs to want anything discounted :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As mentioned at the top of this thread, by July this year about 90 of the almost 400 local authorities outside Greater London with parking responsibilities already published motorhome parking information on their web sites.

Since the end of August I've been in touch with the other approx 300 authorities to ask them to publish such information as well. I am still to receive final answers from 8 authorities but of the others 168 now publish information, 64 intend to in future (most by next spring) and 154 have made a statement (for publication on www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/) of facilities which are or are not available.

Publication does not mean that off-street parking is available but 186 authorities have said that they do have motorhome parking, 121 ask that people check with them so that they can give guidance and only 79 have said that they have no off-street parking for motorhomes. Even then, there is normally on-street parking available in all local authority areas.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't know if this is wise but I have created a Facebook page for Motorhome Parking.

I've previously dumped personal Facebook accounts because of the rubbish they attracted so we shall see how this one goes.

• Like Like x 3