Motorhomeing on your own (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
After many enjoyable years caravaning and motorhoming I now find myself a widower but I would still like to carry on on my own because we had great plans for travelling Europe when I retired later this year and I still want to continue. I wonder how dificult is it on your own and if there are any camping clubs for single people.
Any advice from people in the same position as me would be very much appreciated

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
there are a fair few singles on here, and most join in at the meets through the year

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Been a solo, fulltiming motorhomer for 4 years now and before fulltiming was a solo motorhomer starting in 2005.

Never had a problem with it.

No need for a solo club. You can go to the main Rallies and Meets organised on here. They are a great bunch and brilliant fun.

Sorry for your loss and welcome to fun...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have met many solo motorhomers..
In fact only this week here in Morocco we have met a guy from Preston who is a widower but has taken the plunge and now on his third week..

Within our little group are 2 single travellers...

Within our local branch of the Motor caravanners club we have a right pair of single blokes, ex trukers and in their 70's.. Worse than school kids sometimes but they seem to enjoy their selves..:thumb:

Go for it, as mentioned you dont have to limit yourself to "singles" groups.. You will always get a welcome at any funster rally or meet.. :thumb:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Neil!

I used to travel alone and really enjoyed myself. There are a couple of single motorhome groups that I know of:

http://www.lonersgroup.org.uk/
Link Removed

I didn't join them as I'm happy to just chat to whoever is parked next to me on site.

Caravan Club and C & CC rallies are great for meeting people but the best ones are right here - check out the Motorhome Fun rallies; there are some lovely people waiting to meet you!

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Neil
I took early retirement 18 months ago, bought a motorhome a year ago and have been all over the uk (not ventured into Europe yet, but will at some point) on my own, in fact I did 21 trips last year. I have attended several motorhome fun rallies and met lots of interesting people. There are always people to speak to. A group of funsters are currently in Morrocco and I'm kicking myself for not having joined them,but that is another story. Go for it! Here or oversea's I'm sure you will enjoy it, though of course you will miss sharing things with your wife, there will be others about to share your experiences with :Smile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Neil. Another solo motorhomer here - no problems with it. Not a member of any solo clubs, I just join in with the 'normal' Fun meets. 'Normal' in this context covers a pretty broad spectrum. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks

Thank you all for the useful information and encouragment motorhome fun rallies particularly the one in europe seem a good idea I will have to check them out is there a diary of events somewhere on this website

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Neil look to the left of the main(home) page. There is a list of rallies in date order.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Neil, sorry to here of your loss, it is quite a adjustment but as said in the other posts, come along to any Fun Rally single or a couple every one will chat, and you soon make friends, quite a few single people at meets male and female, do come along to one when you can.

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Hi Neil, sorry to here of your loss, it is quite a adjustment but as said in the other posts, come along to any Fun Rally single or a couple every one will chat, and you soon make friends, quite a few single people at meets male and female, do come along to one when you can.

When I was a new member I thought no one wood chat to me Iv since been to a few meets and still no one chats to me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
i am a single motorhomer as i can only afford to travel in 1 Hymer this year

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
neil
not single but better half not keen Mhoming so mostly travel on my own, just returned from month away in france, never felt alone, met all sorts , singles , couples, families, had really good times, go for it, you will not regret it.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I left home in May last year and not made it back yet!!
Have not had any problems being on my own, apart from the obvious one of missing my OH, who died in 2007.
I've come to a standstill in Wiltshire as my daughter had a very prem baby 4 months ago. Thank God I have a motorhome as I've been able to stay on a C&CC site nearby. It's meant I could be on standby, do the driving etc when she was so unwell and go to hospital appointments with her and the baby, take grandson to preschool and so on.

Heading for home in France in about 3 weeks.

Get a good sat nav. It's a bugger having no one there to look at a map, point out turnings etc..

Ditto good reversing camera!!!

Motor homers and caravaners seem to be very sociable and I've met some really nice people.

The meets on here always very friendly affairs, you'll find plenty of people to chat to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back