"MotorhomeFun News Roundup" -email we all receive each week.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Freespirit1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Freespirit1

Freespirit1 Read Only Funster

Just in case any other members like myself were wondering how my post last week “CARTHAGO STAND – NEC SHOW – Funsters offer” didn’t get included under “ Threads with the most views” although it did if fact GET the Most views.

Well – I’ve asked the Editor (Jim) and he tells me that he has no idea , he doesn’t choose them, the newsletter software does, using an algorithm of Views/Replies/likes. Mystery solved eh! Down to that software thing again – I wonder what it will make of this post? Thank you Jim for the explanation.

By the way I do think it’s a GREAT way for ALL members to keep up with the latest Threads/ Posts each week - I’m not sure how many members come on the forum each week but there have been times when I and many others I feel sure have not done so.

For me the weekly News Roundup serves to keep me abreast of what are indeed the most viewed / Posts/ threads/stories of that week and the total content is very informative (the “Featured Thread” "Rome'n around Italy" again in last weeks issue being particularly good) – it gives me an instant access to a particular post of interest - thank you James Brown (Jim) Motorhome Enthusiast – editor of the news letter.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I have missed this weeks and last weeks looked in emails I wonder @Jim if it would be possible to have it somewhere so you could just click on latest news roundup and it would come up. :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

I have not received any for a long time, and then I only couple since I have been a member

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I suspect Jim is being disingenuous! The thread was effectively an advert for one specific dealer who I guess doesn't otherwise pay for advertising on this site. Why should Jim then give them free advertising?

Of course it was an offer some on here might want to take advantage of but I guess there are lots of other offers available at the NEC this week. Why single one out specifically?

Or perhaps it might have been because the Thread deteriorated towards the end with a bit of what might be termed "snappiness"? Not a good example of the best of MHF at that point.*

But never mind, by starting another thread and luring me into replying you get a second bite at the cherry! Are you on commission? :)

But I didn't get the Newsletter either so it would have made no difference whether the item was in it or not. :D

*The real reason I suspect.

• Like Like x 10
  5. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Check your junk mail, I quite often get something I didn't know about go direct to junk mail when "computer says no" (y):D

6. Freespirit1

Well DBK - in answer - I think you are being particularly sinister in suggesting anything of the sort - Jim has given the answer as to why it was not included - believe it.

Jim and everyone else reading that post will know that at NO TIME has the particular dealer in question been mentioned by name and nor has anyone asked who he or she might be. How can it be advertising in any way shape or form?

Do you really read the forum at all? You will see hundreds of posts/comments either mentioning dealers by name / products by name etc. etc. - recommending them or criticising them do you want Jim to be Disingenuous with them too? to answer your other questions - read the post properly before commenting please.

7. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

I do, nothing there

8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

I get them regularly but usually just delete them after a quick scan to see whether any of the posts are of interest which I've missed but as I come onto the forum most days there isn't usually anything in the Round up which I bother checking out.

Denise

• Like Like x 2
  9. bryandh

bryandh Funster

If by chance your newsletter e-mails find their way into junk or spam, simply select the mail and mark it as "not junk/spam" and future issues should then appear in your Inbox.

Bryan

BTW..... Why would the OP even bother questioning the non appearance of his post in the newsletter....... Ego dented perhaps? Strange post, and NO I did not wonder why it was not included

B

• Like Like x 9
  10. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Never received (as far as I can remember)newsletter e-mail.:( Checked Junk Mail as well!:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Have a look at "Contact Details" in your account settings. Make sure "Receive site mailings" is ticked

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you don't see it, check your junk, but it could be that your name is not on the newsletter distribution list, no worries, you can add it here (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Freespirit1

Very good question bryandh - the answer is simple - I have taken it that the newsletter does in fact go out to absolutely everyone who has joined MotorhomeFun and gives them the instant check on which indeed has been the "Featured thread of the week" and those receiving the most views. I personally find that quite handy.

Ego dent? definitely not - you will see from my profile that I have not been posting messages here there and everywhere - and don't get me wrong I have no problem with those that do - without them the forum would be quite boring and very inactive I'm sure. I'm not looking for likes either - but feel free to "like" this answer if you wish :)

I've join in the Forum in an attempt to genuinely offer fellow funsters the opportunity of getting a great deal founded specifically on my placing a substantial order with a dealer and twisting his arm to offer other funsters similar deals - its up to them if they wish to take advantage or not.

• Like Like x 4
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Wow, touched a raw nerve there didn't I! I have no idea who the dealer is but you have put yourself up as their representative and in one post (#9) used the term "we can get you a good deal.." Who is we? But this thread has achieved what I suspect was the aim, to bring this back onto the forum the day before the NEC opens. Well done! Very clever! :):):) Of course a real cynic would wonder why you didn't mention the dealer? Was it because you had to be sure you were in the loop if you managed to attract another buyer? ;)

And please don't be rude at me like your post above. The thread you started went a bit pear-shaped which is why it ran to so many pages - but you can't blame me for that.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just checked and I am subscribed but nothing in the Spam folder either. So it looks as if it has just vanished. That'll teach you to go on holiday!:)

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There are different types of 'view'. For example the thread in question has been viewed 400+ times by the OP and over 200 times by a few others, these repeat views do bump the view count and all of those views are added to the total.

However, when I search the forum prior to producing a newsletter the algorithm searches for views/unique views/likes/responses and then produces The most popular content of the last 5 days. This forms the basis of the newsletter. Of course I add or remove from that number any threads I so wish.

Further investigation in this instance shows this particular thread fell outside the date window. Everything is based upon the thread start date, (otherwise the word game threads would be top each week) and the Cathargo thread start date was just outside the window when I ran the script. on the morning of the 9th asking for the most popular content of the last 5 days, the Cathargo thread started on the 3rd was not considered for inclusion. It would have made the previous weeks though, but there wasn't a newsletter that week, I was drunk at a rugby weekend. sorry about that ;)

• Like Like x 11
  17. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Wow!

The OP viewed his own thread 400+ times?........ Wonder why?
    Needs to get out more often!

Bryan

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its not hard to do, if you think about it, every time there is a post on your own thread you'll look, scroll to the bottom, then click back to the top and you have two views. Read, respond, load again to read your own post and there's another 3; they soon add up.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Well done, Gizzy.(y)
    Now set-up for Jim's unmissable driv.., eh, advices!;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Freespirit1

Umm - yes it did start on the 3rd. just after 19.00hrs before I started watching the Rugby too - I noticed the Rome'n around Italy started on the 3rd, too - around 14.00hrs or so that's why when I looked back it seemed so strange that it actually fell outside the date window and not even a time window on the same day?