MotorhomeFun is Moving!

Discussion in 'Forum News and Announcements' started by Jim, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

WE ARE MOVING TO A BIGGER FASTER SERVER WITH MORE BANDWIDTH

This weekend we are moving servers (The switch will take place late tonight) This site has grown so quickly and our bandwidth and resources are fast running out. We have outgrown in just 10 months the server we thought would be good enough for a couple of years! The new server should (we hope) satisfy our requirement for at least the next 18 months.

Moving the data files doesn't take long ( an hour or so) but when we change the nameservers it can take a while for the forums new location to propagate around the world and allow everyone to find us. Hopefully tomorrow morning (Saturday 14th Nov 2009) you should automatically find us at the new server, but If you find yourself at the old server (there will be a note on it) try a hard refresh of your browser (ctrl + F5) and this should help you find us.

Thanks - and see you on the new server :thumb::thumb:

If you are not a total computer novice you can use this info below to find us faster..

When we make the switch, If you cannot wait for your Fun fix, there is a way to find us very quickly by flushing your DNS. Ifyou don't know how to do this it might be a good idea to make a note of how to do it now.

What is it and why Flush it?
    When your computer visited MotorhomeFun for the first time, it stored the website's Domain name details in a cache. The next time you pointed your browser to us, it looked in that cache to see if Fun's website's information was present to use. Once we switch servers this stored information will be wrong and you must update it with our new location. Flushing the cache removes all the information stored in cache, forcing the computer to find the new DNS information for us. So if you can't find us tomorrow just follow the simple steps below for your operating system. if you do not it could take a couple of days for you to find us!

The command to flush the DNS is ipconfig /flushdns NOTE There is a space between the g and the /

Flushing the DNS on Windows XP
    This an easy process,
    1. Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd > then press OK or return.
    2. Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

You should get a message saying that you have "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"
    Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS

Flushing DNS on newer versions of Windows is almost as easy as the earlier versions but due to Microsofts security additions you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
    1. Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    2. Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
    3. Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Mac OS X Flush DNS

Flushing the DNS in Mac OS X is an easy process, but the steps taken will depend on which version of OS X you are running.
    If you are running Mac OS X Leopard, you need to do the following.

1. Open up a command terminal.
    2. Run the command dnscacheutil -flushcache

If you are running Mac OS X 10.5.1 or below, you need to do the following.

1. Open a command terminal.
    2. Run the command lookupd -flushcache
    Linux Flush DNS

If you are running the nscd Name Service Cache Daemon then you will need to do the following.
    1. Open up a command terminal (either as root or run step 2 with sudo)
    2. Run the command "/etc/init.d/nscd restart"

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

As always a mine of useful info. I didn't know that. (flushing DNS):Smile:

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We moved the RVOC website to the new server last weekend, see this post :Blush:

It took some of the owners Club members until Wednesday to find us. Their computers were pointing them to the IP address they had in the cache. Flushing the DNS will help you find us very quickly. :Smile: : Fingers Crossed: :Eek!:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I look forward to the improvement in speed,:thumb: maybe the new chat will run then? :RollEyes:How will flushing the DNS affect other tabs and favourites info, passwords etc I assume it is only the web address that is refreshed or will we have to set up our tabs again

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

In my ignorance, why can't you just Google MooirhomeFun and get the new IP addy that way?

Peter

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Flushing the DNS has nothing to do with your browser, or the site details held in your browser. Your favourites and passwords cookies etc will not be affected.

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

To be honest its all a mystery to me as well but as I understand it.. Because googe will give you www.mfun etc but as soon as you click on the link your computer will shout " I know where that is" and point you back to the old site. Well it won't shout, but i'm sure you get the idea:Smile:

8. madbluemad

madbluemad

Mmmmmmmm, that was going to be my approach. I can see a long Saturday coming here.

Jim
    :RollEyes:

9. JJ

JJ Funster

What would be your recommended time for doing the DNS fllush Jim? Is it something we could do before the swtich over?

JJ

10. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1:Hi mud as clear as it is skywalker !:Rofl1:
    Brian and Marion

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

what time will this server go off line? just for those of us that might be in chat or on late etc

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can flush your DNS at any time it does no harm. But do it tomorrow if you find yourself at the old server

Not sure, I will put a post up to let you know.

Do nothing, Automatically find us your browser will. :BigGrin:

13. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Guilty as charged Jim - Though was funny I emailed you and said I could not get on and 5 mins later I tried again and went straight on :Smile: now was that coincidence or were you fiddling again :Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Oh Dear!!!! I don't get most of computer's stuff in french so how am i going to manage in english:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Wacko: Tabs? DNS? Flush? :shout:and don't try to explain me with other english computer words..... i don't understand them either! So is my old dictionnary.... completly hopless and useless!

Boohooooo! Hope i 'll find you!!!:pray::pray::tears:

Amicalement

Frankie:Sad:

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

thanks for the flush info Jim....cant go too long without my FUN fix. :cry:

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont worry frankie.....FUN will find you...eventually :thumb::BigGrin:

17. Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs Read Only Funster

Oh Bugger! I have trouble using the microwave!:Rofl1:

18. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I don't see me farting about with all of that so if I don't find you I don't find you ?????????:cry::cry::cry:

19. twooks

twooks Read Only Funster

what a bunch of luddites we are :Rofl1::Rofl1:

see you sometime - somewhere
    don't know where don't know when

well, me grannie used to sing it - as well as something about blue birds packing up their troubles on the road to tipperary

ciao:Blush:

20. grumpy

grumpy Read Only Funster

MotorhomeFun is Moving

Thanks for the pages of info I don't understand Jim. Nearly as bad as learning to ride a bike with the bobbies.
    Why oh why did my grandchildren choose this weekend to do the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Not even on the end of the mobile.
    Hope they are back soon, they might have to miss school on monday if I can't get my FUN fix. Hope to see you on the other side.

:cry::cry::cry:Gonna miss you.:cry::cry::cry:

Peter.