Motorhome WIFI

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by crunch, Aug 23, 2015.

1. crunch

crunch Funster

Hi
    as we are new to motor homing, and are looking to go to France around the 15/16 Sept, we will need WIFI. Have looked at a couple of types and the one that seems to suit us is 4G Huawei E5372 MIFI & Window mount Antenna which we picked up a leaflet on at the Peterborough show Motorhome WIFI.
    It seems simple to use and more importantly understand? Does anyone out there have a feedback on this good or bad, or any recommendations for something that is a reasonable price and easy to use.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See just a couple of my positive comments Here and Here.

See also Here for an alternative mounting idea. I've since discovered that the stand from Poundworld is even better than the one from Poundland :)

3. crunch

crunch Funster

Thank you, it's a minefield out there!

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

These folk are Funsters on here and have a good reputation for after sales service. http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

I have a much cheaper Huawei mifi bought from them a couple of years ago which I use with an external antenna. I find it works fine but the equipment seems to have changed over the last couple of years and these new generation of mifis are considerably more expensive but I suspect it is a case of getting what you pay for and they are probably a low easier to use than the older models.

But for France there is no question about which SIM card for data, go for 3. The provider that is, you don't need 3 sim cards. :)

5. Peter Ashcroft

Peter Ashcroft Funster Life Member

Just to add, slightly off topic, anyone using 3 needs to call them and enable roaming, its off by default and you can't even enable it through the web you have to call. I have had this on 2 devices and my friend has just gone to spain and has suffered the same problem. You would think with how much they push the overseas usage they would ensure they are shipped with roaming enabled or at least let you enable it through the app or web account, but no you have to call!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Are these 'phone SIMs or mobile internet SIMs? I have not needed to do that with the mobile internet SIMs I have bought.

7. Peter Ashcroft

With both, I Had it with my phone and mobile internet sim, My friends Daughter though went out to spain a few weeks ago and hers worked fine, which is why my friend ignored my advice and didn't bother calling 3 to check. So possible hit and miss I am not sure.

Its easy enough to check you can log into your account and it will tell you if its enabled or not, you can't enable it but you can check.

Just worth checking for the sake of a minute, because trust me once you get abroad and find out its not it took me nearly half a day and endless phone calls and messing to get it to work. Then takes 4 hours to enable.

8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I didn't have to call
    Never heard this before
    Have used three in France, Norway, Denmark, Sweden without issues

9. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

And me !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Peter Ashcroft

Just our of interest are you on Pay as you go or contract? These 3 examples are all contract, relatively new ones also. With the mobile internet one being a 30 day rolling contract, possibly its contract ones ?

I don't know..... like i said just worth checking before you travel for anyone that gets a new one.

11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Don't need to do that with PAYG data sims, contract different.

12. Robert Clark

I wonder if it's an old contract where international roaming was turned off by default ?

13. Peter Ashcroft

No they were all new, I switched to 3 about 3 months ago, My friend switched about 6 weeks ago, the rolling contract again about 2 months ago.

Like I said his daughter was fine, and I think she is PAYG , so maybe thats it.

I was so frustrated because I had gone to 3 to save money while away and it cost us a fortune me using the wife phone for ages while away to get it enabled!

14. Robert Clark

Spooooooky !

15. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Yes, I can understand having to enable roaming with contract (and monthly rolling contract) SIMs because some of the charging is retrospective, ie charges outide of the allowance. With PAYG when you reach the allowance it is cut off until you top-up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

My WiFi is with 3.. I can enable or disable European use on my PAYG SIM used with a Heuwie device.

I keep looking at the more up to date more powerful devices but I just can't work out if they are better or not. I'm hopeless with these things .

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

4g will only be an improvement in built up areas that have been upgraded. lucky to see 3g in rural locations

18. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

4g will only be an improvement in built up areas that have been upgraded. lucky to see 3g in rural locations

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

With Three we have never had less than 3G wherever we have gone and often get 4G these days, especially with the aerial and sometimes in surprising areas.

I've never verified it but it appears that they may have implemented 4G in some villages, as well as towns, where there are significant residential numbers and in places where there are rural industries.

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster