mickandalva

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Arca
Exp
Doe's anyone know where to get wheel covers from to keep the sun off the tyres.
I have emailed a couple of places on the internet but no reply. Obviously dont need my money.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Mine have come from the side of the road, fell of the spare on 4 x 4's.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Tyre damage caused by UV is not something that I've ever considered. To be honest, I've never owned a vehicle that has suffered UV damage to it's tyres, even though some have been more than a few years old.

Doing some quick research on the net, any reference to UV tyre damage seems to originate with manufacturers promoting the sale of tyre covers or tyre 'sun tan cream':Smile:

Most of the references also refer to RV tyres, and I can't find any source referring to tyre damage on cars in the UK caused by sunlight. Does it only happen to RV tyres?

Seriously though, I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise, and if evidence exists, that is unequivocal and peer reviewed, then I might be convinced.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Tyre damage caused by UV is not something that I've ever considered. To be honest, I've never owned a vehicle that has suffered UV damage to it's tyres, even though some have been more than a few years old.

Doing some quick research on the net, any reference to UV tyre damage seems to originate with manufacturers promoting the sale of tyre covers or tyre 'sun tan cream':Smile:

Most of the references also refer to RV tyres, and I can't find any source referring to tyre damage on cars in the UK caused by sunlight. Does it only happen to RV tyres?

Seriously though, I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise, and if evidence exists, that is unequivocal and peer reviewed, then I might be convinced.

Other vehicles tyres are usually worn out before they succumb to U.V. damage.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The warnings of tyre deterioration as a result of little use and the subsequent much longer period of exposure to daylight is also warned of with caravan tyres. I have a vintage tractor, an old trailer both of which stand outside continuously. All of their tyres are perished and would not be safe to use at any speed on the road but have stacks of tread left. My car tyres need replacing every couple of years and never get old enough to perish.
Different groups recommend changing caravan and motor home tyres once they are about 5 to 6 years old irrespective of tread wear as they are liable to failure. I would not risk my RV or our lives by keeping tyres beyond that age.
Whether the use of covers prevents or reduces that deterioration I really don't know, but I do cover my RV and trailer tyres in view of what has happened to my tractor tyres.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Doe's anyone know where to get wheel covers from to keep the sun off the tyres.
I have emailed a couple of places on the internet but no reply. Obviously dont need my money.

My friend in Liverpool has a set of 4 for sale, they are 15".
If you are interested just let me know. He wants about £4 each plus carriage, prpbably about £ 22 all in.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Upvote 0

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
wheel covers

we made our own wheel covers out of tarpaulin bought from poundland.
just cut the rough shape of the tyres down to the ground, with a bit extra to put something heavy on.
then a strip the width of the tyre, and a round bit for behind the wheel.
good old mrs bevo then stitched it all together on her sewing machine.
and hey presto they work a treat, a set of 4 for a pound.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back