Motorhome Weight (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.

I have noticed forums on this site stating that, following last year’s ‘trial’ caravan checks on the M5 there is likely to be a concerted effort to raise funds from caravans and motorhomes with defects this year.

I decided to get the Hymer (a 694 six wheel model) weighed. This has to be done in the same condition that one would expect to be stopped in by the roadside officials ie driver AND passenger, some water, fuel in the tank, full gas and food together with any pets you may have!

In this condition I was within the overall mass either solo or with the TOAD but the load on the front axle was 60 kilograms over the limit. The only way that I could reduce the front weight was to move the spare wheel from under the bonnet to the boot. This reduced the front weight by more than the weight of the spare due to the cantilever effect and, as I have two rear axles, I was still within their tolerance.

I have just returned from 4 weeks touring and I suspect that several of the motorhomes that I saw with full garages and single rear axles and massive overhangs would have problems with the scales.

I urge you all to visit a weighbridge sooner rather than later.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i had ours weighed yesterday morning with most of the gear loaded for our trip to scotland in the morning , my total weight was 80kg over with out the wife in the van and rear axel was 200kg over, i have dropped all the water and moved some stuff to the front, i have been in touch with svtech and can get it uprated to 3700kg at a cost of £240 +vat which i will do when we return

Feb 11, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bought first motorhome 30 yrs ago
we are in France but had our van weighed before we left, We filled it with fuel and half filled the water tank and everything we needed except our clothes and food and we were surprised that we still had 370kilos left we thought this must be a mistake so checked but it was correct ,we feel happier now and are having a stress free trip tc all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Sorry for repeating myself as this is from a post I made earlier. As we all no keeping within the weight limit of our vans is'nt always that easy so it would be good if the manufacturers were to take this into account when designing vans.
I am not sure that Motorhome manufacturers actually know what a payload is. Many of us seem to be preoccupied with payloads. I own an Elddis Autoquest 140. My point is that the leisure batteries and gas lockers are situated at least 4-5ft behind the rear axle. As the gas bottles are 2x7kg and the batterys weigh @15kg x 2 these being situated so far behind the axle this increases the weight of the items on the rear axle. If the manufacturers were to place these items between the axles the weight on the axles would not be increased. If the manufacturers were to take this into account in the building of motorhomes it may help us to stay within the law.
DRS

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
If anyone is interested I will take a pair of load cells the the bring and buy meet. I can weigh up to 2500kgs per axle.

Mastodon

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Funster No
We're fortunate to live near a DIY 24/7 weighbridge and always check before we go off on a trip and usually find ourselves close to 3500kg, though we always weigh with full fuel and water tanks. It's well worth looking in cupboards and lockers and filtering out the unnecessaries which accumulate...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back