Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Motorhome Waving

Hi,
I'm a waver :winky:
plenty of fellow wavers on the A1 today, it's great to feel part of the 'Family'

Steve

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
I wave and flash - me lights that is :Eeek:

And we dont even have our RV yet, I do it in my little Mazda Bongo to all the other Bongonauts on the road

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Mexican wave

Are you a motorhome friendly waver or a motorhome scowler as I have noticed that since we have had ours, other motorhomers seem to a...wave and smile....or b... scowl and ignore.

So.....what do you do??

We always wave , even to van conversions and Vdubs

If road is quiet we do Mexican wave. ----my right followed by my left, wifes right , wifes left.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Used to wave till I discovered these wavers ignore you on sites. Even avoid eye contact ! Only wave to French now :thumb: at least they speak when you stop on a site or an aire even if it is just to say bonjour.

In the 9 years since leaving UK have found it more and more unfriendly each time I go back . Sorry folks :Sad:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
If I've got my glasses on while I'm driving and see a hand go up I always respond with a friendly wave.

Being a responsible driver though I'm careful not to spill any of my beer!!!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It’s a 50/50 split as to whether they wave back. SWMBO says I'm wasting my time and I shouldn’t bother waking up for it and risk disturbing my blanket or slippers, but its a good chance to open my eyes and see where we are so far
:ROFLMAO::RollEyes:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Where can I get one of those waving hands that one sticks on the dash with a suction mount?

We were really amused when everyone waved to us as we travelled, didn't know that happened these days.

It's great fun but there are occasions when I miss a few waves :(

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Used to wave till I discovered these wavers ignore you on sites. Even avoid eye contact ! Only wave to French now :thumb: at least they speak when you stop on a site or an aire even if it is just to say bonjour.

In the 9 years since leaving UK have found it more and more unfriendly each time I go back . Sorry folks :Sad:

Perhaps I should say you guys are the exception it seems . A friendly bunch and remember to say hi to folks on site ::bigsmile:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We've only just started out in the motorhome game, but Liz always waves, and often at bikers too as she still thinks she's on the bike herself:ROFLMAO:

Not seen many motorhomers wave back yet though:Sad:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Are you saying no one spoke to you on site?Weve only been motorhoming since september but have been away numerous times and always found everyone friendly.I will say some walk around with a face like a slapped arse but they can all be won around. If they are not seeming to wave back give em the "BIRDY"

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Are you saying no one spoke to you on site?Weve only been motorhoming since september but have been away numerous times and always found everyone friendly.I will say some walk around with a face like a slapped arse but they can all be won around. If they are not seeming to wave back give em the "BIRDY"

Yep the number who speak to those who don't are around 10:1 :Sad: and when we got the French plates for the van thought well folks will be friendly as they think we are French on holiday in the UK ( not Scots !!) well it is worse !! They look down to avoid eye contact !! So I guess that s the welcome given to foreign tourists. Pretty poor. Perhaps they are afraid of the language barrier but most folks can give a cheery bonjour :Smile:

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Motorhome waving

Hi we were on the A1 yesterday evening returning North from Duxford Air Museum. Took g/kids brilliant visit. I wave if its safe but this usually means rarely on motorways and major dual carriageways.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i only drive in the dark in case im spotted by other funsters and encourage me to take to the pub i wont mention any names :winky::winky:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
don't want to hijack or change the thread but see some comments about people not speaking on sites, only had van since july and away most weekends but I have found that very few speak on site, maybe a good morning if you are lucky, was at a small site at the weekend 2 caravans and 6 MH's + us
young couple pulled up next to us as I was connecting the EH and spoke, all the others arrived.
levelled the MH
put on the silver screen covers
never to bee seen again !!!

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We drove south on the A1 on the Friday - many were going to the Peterborough show. We had to give up waving in the end there were too many.

Upon getting to France they were everywhere! In the end we could only get the effort up to wave to motorbikes on single carriageway roads. :RollEyes:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Glad it is not just us that no one speaks to !!

On our way back home from UK stopped overnight at the aire at Cleres. French spoke , the two Brits one was seen between van and dustbin other than that shut up , the other had screens closed on all windows and extra thermal screens too. Never seen !! Radio or tv on so not dead !!

The French find it very strange as they usually do a bit of a walk around and say bonjour at least . ( I know there are French who don't speak but they are in the minority unlike the Brits)

This site restores my faith that friendly, helpful and jokey people still exist on the UK :Smile:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
We always waive and pass comment at those that don't....same as when I'm on the bike...I always nod to fellow riders but some are too stuck up to reply...

Couldn't it be that they are too much engrossed in other thoughts or listening to music on the "whatever it is" to reply?

Why do you think they are stuck-up. I must admit that I am not very interested in other motorists, cyclists etc. Does this make me stuck-up?

gradon6768

Free Member
Aug 14, 2012
Alloa (scotland)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are new(cant wait for August to come so i can say a whole year)!!!

We are just back from 4 days away with our MH and decided to play a game "much like Eddie spotting"..my wife sat with a pad and pen...we passed a total of 104 other MHs...we waved at 104 lol and got 76 waves back so i think thats around 70% over 4 days...gave a couple of middle fingers to a number of car drivers tho that just cant seem to wait on them twisty roads even tho i help them pass when poss!!! Next game is to count that and i bet its overwhelmingly high!!! :))

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw the below at a car boot sale the other day and thought it was the 'perfect' accessory for an energetic 'waver' !!! :thumb:

Attachments

• 20130424_095345.jpg
    20130424_095345.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 17

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One way to ensure that other MH drivers wave at you is to drive around with your satellite dish left up.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
As far as speaking on a site - if I want to I will...... if I don't want to I won't

Gotta problem with that? Why should I not be entitled to my privacy, even on a campsite? If you think that makes me stuck up, then so be it.....

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We usually wave but get a bit fed-up when others don't.

Speaking to a Frenchman a few months ago on the same subject. He said most folks over here wave and are very friendly, but if you're broken down at the side of the road they look the other way and pretend they haven't seen you. :Sad:

Conviviality seems to only go so far LOL

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
:Smile: checked today on route home from East Wittering and out of the 46 motorhomes we waved at, only 4 waved back :Sad:

At one stage I thought SWMBO was swatting a fly as her arms were flying everywhere, but still no replies :Doh:

Oh well, I guess they're just not Funsters, which means, THEIR LOSS :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back