Motorhome wave

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Jul 21, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't know if it's just me they don't like, but I am giving up this waveing lark, been in France ,Belgium and holland (spit) for a week and unless I waved to another mh not one person waved to us, has it died out now.

2. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

No, maybe you were unlucky. Wherever we go we get waves from most, though not all! other motorhomers and always return a wave if I see them in time. Let's keep the tradition going, (y) :hi:

Wyn

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

We always wave!! :hi: But don't always get a response! We blow raspberries in that case!!!

• Like Like x 6
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

Can honestly say that of all the vans we met , not one waved first, so not bothering any more, feel a bit daft anyway, if you met them in the street you'd probably walk the other way:hi:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

We had a right laugh driving through France into Spain doing the wave, i must agree that not many waved to us first, and even though we got responses from other campers in MHs it wasn't always a guarantee wave back - However (yes we were amusing ourselves doing this) If i Flashed them well in advance (with the lights) and then we gave a wave it was a more or less 100% returned wave back... we were fascinated by the different types of waves too, some like a couple of fingers off the steering wheel (as though they were scared to let it go with one hand) others were like a Hitler wave, and others were down right frantic waves from both driver and passenger - big smiles an grins all over their faces as though we had really made their day - nowt as queer as folk as they say eh (y)

• Like Like x 2
  6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

We did our own "survey" of motorhome waving :hi:

First on our run out over a distance of 160 miles across the UK, out of 47 motorhomes spotted and waved at, 5 responded :frowny:

On the same return journey we then flashed and waved at some 39 motorhomes, of which 37 waved back :clap:

My deduction is simple, people just don't see you, unless you give them something to break their concentration with like flashing our lights :nerd:

Doris did mention her mooning them to see if they'd notice, but I said they drove motorhomes to thrill them, not kill them :giggler:

Had to make my own bacon butty on arrival :angel:

• Like Like x 8
  7. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Ha ha we've been having this debate all week I started I was waving at every motorhome but only some were waving back , many waved at us first but not all so I stopped waving ....also found sometimes they waved just when I was negotiating an awkward junction or trying to find signs for where I was going lol

So now I wave if it's convenient without killing anyone and not too bothered if they wave back or not

• Like Like x 1
  8. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

We have been playing a game as we go over here (France) first select the Stakes ..then guess will the next one wave back or not?
    So far its cost me: two strawberry tarts, I did the washing up, a whole apple tart (the large one) and I hoovered the van!! silly thing this waving .:unsure:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It gets a bit tedious as there are just so many now.

10. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Blimey, you can travel with me any day, only I'm not sure if I could give up a whole apple tart :whistle::whew:

• Like Like x 1
  11. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Why can't MH manufacturers just fit these as standard and save us all some bother?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  12. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

likewise..........

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Andy

Andy Funster

S'funny, had this same moan today,............when in my little Fiat, the nunber of waves I got back was almost zilch..........driving the Hymer, however, ok whilst it certainly wasn't every Mh that came towards me, it was certainly noticeable there was some response.........

14. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I always wave at Gaslow vans.... they usually wave back....:(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Find that now I have a panel van people don't wave at me - ahhh. Often got a wave when I had a coach built van.
    When my sister got her first MH she loved the idea of waving, however her first wave was a horse box!!! They must have thought she was demented as it was certainly a vigorous wave.

16. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Plenty of waves when I had the Burstner ............nobody waves at me now ........too small :crying::crying::crying:

Oh and magicsurfbus ....that is seriously bad engineering ............................

17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

When I had my vw camper they used to sell yellow hands that sucked to your windscreen to save LWS ( limp wrist syndrome ) im sure I still have one somewhere

My partner wants to know why mh owners don't wave to caravans I had to smack her wrists several times in the last week

• Like Like x 2
  18. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

When I drove a Type 2 VW Camper, we rarely if ever got any waves back from Type 3s, such is the snobbery within the VW tribe. You also used to get the Aloha sign from the more surfy members of the cult:

[​IMG]

Although it was best not to do that in Eastern Europe because it's the sign of the cuckold.

No, actually, I made that bit up, based on some urban legend that thumbing a lift in Sardinia (or somewhere) is inadvisable for that reason.

Everybody waves at Splitties because Splitties are so damn coooooool. If it was a Samba Splitty you'd be too busy drooling to wave.

19. Chris69

Chris69 Read Only Funster

I have recently given up waving. Too many MHs on the road these days so just concentrate on safe driving.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I used to wave, and get waved back at, in my old Autosleeper van conversion. My WildAx looks like a builder's van (it was one previously) so no one waves and I've given up!