Motorhome Warranty (1 Viewer)

alan.watson

Free Member
Sep 21, 2009
Funster No
Have a 2 ++ Year Old Eldis Sunseeker 100 Motorhome bought with a 6 Month Warranty froma Dealer and 3 Years on the Peugeut Base (which runs out in December).

Does anyone have any experience of buying an Annual Warranty on a Used Motorhome - so that we don't have any nasty surprises when all of the current Warranties expire. Can you get to cover Base Vehicle and the Motorhome Bit ?

Any suggestions for sources, experiences, successes or disaters with such Warranties would be most welcome.

Only 6 months into Motorhoming - but already hooked !!

Alan:thumb:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi Alan ref warranties I had one paid £395 for 12 months built in with the sale of the m/h they are not worth the paper they are wrote on the dealer makes extra money out of you for the warrantee from the insurance company they will tell you are insured up to the price of the m/h? great till you have a claim I had 5th gear go £650 then the speedo £250 they will pay the full cost of the parts but when it comes to the labour side the dearest part they work on a scale for labour charges all they were prepared to pay me was £28.50 inc vat max you could not go to a little back street garage for that most garages dont have the height or ramps to work on so you have to go to main dealer service centre you have to wait for them to agree for the work to be done then when they give you the go ahead you pay for the work when the m/h is ready for collection then wait several weeks for your cheque I was the one out of pocket as I had to pay the differene on the garages charges also they work on a time scale how long it will take to do the work in my case I had to pay the garage to strip the gearbox down to find out that 5th gear had gone how was any one going to find the proplem otherwise? in the berkshire area you would be lucky to find a garage who charges are under £60 to £70 a hour so be warned It would be interesting to see what the average labour charges are up and down the country Tony

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Alan
I'm afraid I have to agree 100% with Tony's experience
We will not undertake any warranty work of any description until we have made perfectly clear to the customer what is most likely to happen, and in reality prefer not to get involved at all,
In simple terms you have to learn to speak a new language (insurance) whereby cover for mechanical breakdown means exactly that, the item has to physically break not wear out, ie a rattling camshaft is not coverd unless its in two pieces:Eeek: there may be good ones out there, but they are very few and far between, and very expensive
in geneal not worth the paper, as has been stated keep the money in yer bank and PAYG:thumb:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Warranty

Hi Alan,

Don't waste your money, by all means buy breakdown insurance or join the AA.

Peter
A slightly different tack re warranty. My M/H will be 1 yr old in June 2010 and Marquis will conduct a habitation check for £150 so that their 3 yr warrant is covered. The total cost will come to £300 at the end of the warranty period As I do these checks myself on a regular basis i.e. leisure bty, all screws tight and fitting work, tyre pressurs etc. is this money well spent. :Eeek:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
A slightly different tack re warranty. My M/H will be 1 yr old in June 2010 and Marquis will conduct a habitation check for £150 so that their 3 yr warrant is covered. The total cost will come to £300 at the end of the warranty period As I do these checks myself on a regular basis i.e. leisure bty, all screws tight and fitting work, tyre pressurs etc. is this money well spent. :Eeek:
hi yes thats who I bought my m/h off at that time good luck I hope you dont have to make a cliam TONY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
My van will be 1 year old next month & ringing around it's difficult to get a decent price for the warranty to be valid. I am having to pay about £400 to get both the base vehicle & habitation done. I could get the Renault base vehicle check done by anyone qualified who is VAT registered but the habitation has to be done by an Adria dealer for it to be valid :Angry:. The saving I would make getting the base vehicle done seperately doesn't work out much as it means travelling a fair distance for the best price so it looks like I have to get it done at the dealer.
One thing I have found ringng around is some dealers won't do the service unless they sold the vehicle :Eeek: .

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Warranty ha. ha.don't make me laugh.

I would like to tell you a story, a man buys a van from another man van is 18 months old,new owner transfers warranty and pays warranty company, man takes van to man for private hab check, discovers lot of damp gets onto warranty company who point out man who bought van brand new, has not kept to terms of warranty and because of this warranty company not interested.
New man tells warranty company "me no responsible for man who bought van, me interested in why you no tell me when I transfer warranty that you will take money and then SHAFT me when you need to sort it out" or put right something that is only barely 2 years old with such a large amount of DAMP.
Warranty company huh, trades description need to change the terminology to Take the money and then Take the P*>S.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back