May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

My hubby and I have decided to take a sabbatical from work for at least a year, and as we have a dog (who i'm devoted to and wont leave) thought the best thing we could do is get a motorhome and travel europe and the uk. Have tons & tons of questions that I am gonna bother you all with over the next few months, but would just like to say first that I am absolutely exhausted just looking for a van, there are thousands upon thousands and it seems that all the companies change their specs every year, so when I think I've settled on one it turns out that the layout in the 2008 model is completely different to the 2009 model etc etc etc As its our first hubby wants something small but as we're gonna be away for some time, I want something substantial! Why oh why does there have to be so much choice.
Jackie:Eeek:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Theare just as many different people, all wanting their 'home from home' to match different requirements.

Why not hire something first and have a trial weekend or week away to see what suits you?

Our first 'home was beautiful, it matched every one of our needs, then we realised that it wasnt really what we wanted, so we changed within 6 months to our current van. We bought her in May 2007. So 5 years aint half bad.

Good Luck with your search, hope to see you on the road soon.

June

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
£10 subs best investment ever

Paying £10 subs to be on the forum will be the best investment you will ever make in your quest for a motor home.

No one can work out the combined knowledge of the forums membership... it is endless.

As you say so many motor homes to look at.. each year a different spec ...

We had our first motor home over 25 years back when they were not build as well as they are these days... but we loved the adventure.. Even the kids loved it.

We only ever had one european motor home, by a company called Glendale.. wooden frame with plastic over the outside.. bit like modern gutter stuff.. the best part of the vehicle was the Mercedes chassis.. but that diesel had one speed 50 mph.. never could get more even going down hill.

We moved on to an American (called RV's) and 25 years on we still have one. Why?

value for money. you get all those comforts of home. OK mine only does 14 to 15 mpg.. some are worse. But when I consider what I paid for it... I would have to spend a lot of money on fuel before it equaled out.. I am still miles ahead. If you have not looked at a yank, or an RV.. do not dismiss it... you might be surprised... hit the red link below in this post and it will take it to a page that shows my RV.. yes that cost £28k then compare it with a european of the same age and low miles and you will see what I am talking about.

We travel in the UK and Europe with our St Bernard ..Ezzie (not feeling to well at the moment or we would be at the Newbury show)...

Our RV is 23'9" long.. some europeans are longer.. but we have all the comfort we wish... but I wish you luck in your hunt.. one day you will sit on a motorhome and it will click ... this is the right vehicle.

Ask your questions, be prepared for lots of views...

Oh, yes welcome to the forum.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard (under the weather)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
June,

Good idea and not one that we'd thought of. Will put that to the old man tonight!

Slobadoberbob,

Your RV is the size I would like but hubby not keen. I am gonna put it to him about us renting over the summer and that way we can try a few sizes and layouts and then hopefully we'll agree.

Thanks guys,

Jackie

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Jackie!

I'll start by saying 'You Lucky Sods!'.

You must really be looking forward to your adventure!::bigsmile:

We are keen continental travelers ourselves, although we don't have the luxury of that whole year off to travel properly!
You are doing the right thing by trying before you buy. Many folks change their vans a few times, at great expense, before they settle on a layout and spec that suits them.

I will stick my neck out here and give advice, and will probably upset a few people and seem unpatriotic!:Sad:

If you want to travel all year round all through Europe, using the brilliant aires/ stellplatzes and stop overs, you NEED an well winterised continental-built van. It pains me to say it, but British vans just aren't suitable for that kind of off-grid use in their standard form.

RVs are really luxurious, large and seem better value for money than 'Euroboxes', BUT, you might struggle to park one in the last parking slot in an aire when really all you want to do is just stop and get to sleep after a long journey!
Plus, if it breaks down in the middle of Europe, where will you find your local repair centre? It might be best to stick to a Fiat/Peugeot/Merc/Ford chassis if you don't want to spend weeks of you holiday waiting for parts. RVs aren't as popular on the continent as they are here!

Take time in your search to check out both fresh and grey water tank sizes, you will need at least 100 litres capacity in each. Also, to avoid freezing in Alpine climes, insist on an internal fresh tank and plumbing. Don't worry too much about the grey tank being outside so long as it has a good-sized discharge valve. Most of our continental cousins just continually empty into a bucket during cold weather to avoid freezing the grey tank. If you can afford a van with a proper double floor in which all the water tanks are housed, all the better.

Also consider your gas. Calor is only available in the UK! Unless you want to muck about with different gas bottles in different countries, you need a fixed refillable gas tank or 'Gaslow' setup. Both will enable you to fill with LPG at a filling station.

12 volt power is another consideration. You need decent batteries and, if you stay static for more than a couple of days, a supplementary charging system. This can be solar panels, a generator or a Sterling battery-to-battery charger, which increases the charge produced by running your engine.

Sorry to hit you with so much info, but there are loads of threads all over Motor Home Fun on these subjects and are well worth reading up on:thumb:

Oh yes, the last consideration-

LAYOUT, LAYOUT, LAYOUT:roflmto:

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have to echo whats been said, layout is no:1, to hire is a good idea but for more than a long weekend it is expensive, get yourselves to a motorhome show/s sit in lots of vans, ask lots of questions from van owners, they wont mind.

but most of all LAYOUT is king. what suits one wont suit another and in todays climate changing a van is expensive so dont get it wrong, dont overlook privates sales but get them checked proffesionly (sp)? and dont be afraid to make lowish offers on want you want

OP
OP
J

jackierals

Free Member
May 17, 2012
kent
Funster No
MH
C Class??
Exp
I'm a newbie
Jonandshell,

And I thought all I had to worry about was rear lounge or fixed bed????
I have really got my work cut out on the research front but at least we have time. But thanks for all that its exactly the info that we need to know about, and be able to look into.

sc05out,

Thats what I wanted to do, go to a show and see lots of different vans, but the next one I can find is October at the NEC, and thats a long way off. Have visited a couple of local dealers but I have found that they arent very knowledgeable about the different makes, and as complete amateurs who are looking for a home for a year or two, thats no good!

Jackie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back