Motorhome Vs Caravan (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
We have just purchased our motorhome and have been away in it about 3 or 4 times. Whenever we have been away we always find the same problem with driving it round towns and finding parking places. Not to mention the 22 mpg we get. I wonder if it would be better to have a caravan and leave it on site and make it easier to drive round towns etc using our car.

I know the answer may be towing a car behind the motorhome, but we may just as well tow a caravan. We've never had a caravan do don't know the pros and cons.

We love our motorhome, but feel that at certain times its a tad inconvenient. Can anyone give me a knockout reason why a motorhome is better than a caravan. I'm sure this must have been debated before but can't see anything on the website.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One of the many reasons I moved from caravans to motorhomes was they wouldnt let me hitch my boat behind the caravan :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• S6000234.jpg
    S6000234.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
I think one of the problems we have is we have two dogs so it's not easy getting on public transport and with being new to the size of the motorhome some of the small streets and parking areas are quite daunting.

I think it's just going to be a matter of getting used to it. We are seriously considering fitting a tow bar for a small car.

We haven't been abroad yet but are looking forward to going to France next year perhaps that will give us a better experience with the motorhome.

Thanks to everyone who replied.:thumb:

On a practical note, you mention touring abroad, motorhomes in France for instance, can overnight at aires, caravans can't!
Double axle caravans are not welcome on municipal sites, though a GB plate might make the latter OK, others might know more on that subject. We too looked at both options before deciding on a motorhome, but a look at the second hand value of double axle caravans in France which, at first glance makes you think 'what a bargain' when compared with the small single axle type, tends to reflect the problems owners of the former are experiencing here.
France caters massively to the camping car, (motorhomes) even the smallest villages often boast service points. Life's a compromise, hope you make the right choice for you. In the end, that's all that matters! Good luck.::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Be nice to get some details of those that get 20mpg from their MH, I see 10mpg is also mentioned. I am not a speed freak in the MH and 28ish is normal from my Cheyenne 840SE with 2.8 TD.

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We didn't have a caravan went straight to a motorhome, so had no previous experience.

I thought I might open up a bit of a debate. I might go over to a caravan web site and start one over there. I'm sure I'll get much the same passionate answer.

Also to person that said to get a tent, I don't have a problem with affording a motorhome, I'm a Scotsman and every penny is a prisoner, ask my wife. :ROFLMAO:

I thought you had 35 years caravaning/motohoming...Just looked again and it was Gyntaxi not yourself...sorry:Doh:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Be nice to get some details of those that get 20mpg from their MH, I see 10mpg is also mentioned. I am not a speed freak in the MH and 28ish is normal from my Cheyenne 840SE with 2.8 TD.

We get 24/25mpg....on our currrent"A" class motorhome..the previous van low profile was 28 to 32mpg...both around the same weight....both on the same engine Fiat 2.3..130 multiget...

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Old school Mercedes 2.9 with after market turbo, 6.7 metre van weighing 4600kg towing Smart for 2 on a Brian James trailer. Always fully loaded. Never more than 20 MPG at 179795 kms. Am hoping the MPG will get better when its run in though :winky:.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Old school Mercedes 2.9 with after market turbo, 6.7 metre van weighing 4600kg towing Smart for 2 on a Brian James trailer. Always fully loaded. Never more than 20 MPG at 179795 kms. Am hoping the MPG will get better when its run in though :winky:.

Newer school (09) Mercedes 2.9ish, cylinders? I think 6, usually fully loaded 4.5 / 5.0 tons, no tow car, still around 20/21mpg so much for progress!!

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why motorhome over a caravan, for me after 20 years of tugging, it was because I decieded I no longer wanted to tow, I had no bad experances just didnt like it any more. I do still occasonily do tow, but no more drives down to middle of France in 1 day.

Regarding mpg and costs

my motorhome 25mpg however I drive it, s/h value now about £24/£28k depending on private/dealer/time of year.
serviceing road tax insurance etc about same as car/caravan combo (but extra if you allso run a car) However deprecaition is less than a car/carvan

my son-in-laws carvan/car combo (solo around 38/42 mpg) (towing 22/25 mpg) combined s/h value now about £24/£28k depending on private/dealer/time of year

all in all not much differance on price

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Another old-school Mercedes with aftermarket turbo, 6.7 metre 'van weighing 4.1 tonnes unladen (4.6 tonnes GVW) and, so far, 20mpg. I hasten to clarify that's with an auto 'box and the figure based on a 300 mile constant 50-60mph run at high-ish rpm and unbranded (non-premium) fuel.

It'll be interesting to see if that changes with a few litres of veg oil or 2-stroke in the tank.

To be honest, considering the weight, brick-like aerodynamics, low gearing and autobox, I think that's rather commendable.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
After many years of tents caravans motorhomes large and small, the one with the leasts compromises for me was a vw camper towing a small caravan or in my case a Pennine. Fantastic combination, leave one at home or on site while you tour in the camper, extra beds for visitors. Car type economy and park it anywhere as well as using it for the school run.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
We have just purchased our motorhome and have been away in it about 3 or 4 times. Whenever we have been away we always find the same problem with driving it round towns and finding parking places. Not to mention the 22 mpg we get. I wonder if it would be better to have a caravan and leave it on site and make it easier to drive round towns etc using our car.

I know the answer may be towing a car behind the motorhome, but we may just as well tow a caravan. We've never had a caravan do don't know the pros and cons.

We love our motorhome, but feel that at certain times its a tad inconvenient. Can anyone give me a knockout reason why a motorhome is better than a caravan. I'm sure this must have been debated before but can't see anything on the website.
Yes I must agree with you about the parking in a lot of our towns, more towns in this country should follow Canterbury and put M/H facilities in there park and rides, it makes so much sense and brings trade to there shops. Parking we have never found difficult in the towns in Europe though, in fact most encourage you to park up and explore there shops. May be that is why most of us end up in Europe for such long periods of time over there as you feel welcome. As for towing a car, sorry but I think that is the most ridicules thing ever, what is the point of having a M/H to have freedom and choice of where you go, then park it in camp site and use a car, if that is the sort of traveling you wont to do then yes a caravan would be better. Last year we spent 7 weeks in France and never spent a euro on tolls or site rents and a lot of the time we were parked in the centre of towns.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did tow a caravan for many years before motorhoming. The size of caravan I needed dictated the size of car I needed to tow it. The last caravan I owned was a Lord Munsterland and it was towed with a Dodge Ram. I ran the Ram as an everyday vehicle and although it was relatively frugal solo, when towing it only did around 10 MPG. Although my motorhome only does 20 MPG, my old VW Golf car returns over 50 MPG as a daily driver. There is no depreciation on the Golf as I have had it a long time, and no depreciation on the RMB as I have been offered more than I gave for it 2 years ago. If ever I decided to sell it, which is most unlikely. I do tow a Smart car if we are away for long periods on site, but if touring then I have the choice to leave the tow car at home. If I ever went back to caravanning, then this choice would be taken away. We use Aires when touring which would be prohibitive if caravanning. When in the UK we spend a lot of time on Shell Island, and caravans are banned.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Aug 7, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
Again thanks to everyone who replied. I'm definitely sold on motorhoming, and I'm even re-thinking whether to tow a car or not.

One thing is certain, the helpfulness and friendliness of the motorhome community. Maybe I'll meet some of you in France. I can't wait as I love France. I used to do business there and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time there in my motorhome.

:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I've tried all sorts of camping units over the years. Motorhome wins for my two knock out reasons:
1. Very little packing and unpacking, unloading and loading, setting up and breaking camp.
2. It's a darn sight easier to reverse a 20 foot motorhome than a car with a caravan on the back, especially a small one.

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
We have both, Hubby bought the new caravan last year, have caravanned for 23 years, I bought a small mh about 16 months ago it was also my everyday vehicle instead of my Volvo estate, six weeks ago I bought the next size up, personnally I wish my hubby would sell the caravan, seems too much hassle, setting off and then on site, an hour to put up awning and get settled, too much to go touring, with a Motor home it is a few minutes, I keep everything in my Motor home apart from personal clothes and fresh food, tea coffee etc always in there, handy for the inpromptu day trip, or if deciding to stop over, this is also my everyday vehicle, we have dogs so is ideal, we always went on the continent until a few years ago , now we have rescue dogs, so we stay in the uk or Eire now. wouldn`t take any dogs abroad, many do we wouldn`t, too hot for one thing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back