Motorhome vs Caravan? (1 Viewer)

liam_allen73

Free Member
Dec 9, 2010
Funster No
Hi all. I'm considering buying a motorhome or caravan which I intend to live in for a while (as well as travelling to Europe in) and need advice on which would be the best option. My funds are limited to under £4000.
I'm particularly interested in hearing members advice on things to look out for when buying a motorhome/caravan signs of damp etc. And also the types of heating that would be best for our lovely British weather!
Any advice, comments and info would be greatly appreciated. :Eeek:

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi all. I'm considering buying a motorhome or caravan which I intend to live in for a while (as well as travelling to Europe in) and need advice on which would be the best option. My funds are limited to under £4000.
I'm particularly interested in hearing members advice on things to look out for when buying a motorhome/caravan signs of damp etc. And also the types of heating that would be best for our lovely British weather!
Any advice, comments and info would be greatly appreciated. :Eeek:

I expect that you could get a pretty old Motorhome with that sort of budget, and if you are pretty handy at fixing things then it might be worth it.
If you have a towing car already then your budget will get you a decent caravan so that may be the best way to go.
Regarding damp etc just do a search as there is plenty of information to be found,
Pete:Cool:

PS Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have both.

If you are considering travelling in Europe the plus point is free wild camping/aires in a motorhome.

but

If you intend to stay in one place and tour the area a caravan can be a better bet but you will have campsites to pay for but a fixed home and car to travel around with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Motorhome or Caravan

Its an interesting debate and I think the two are very different and can't really be compared. A caravan is good for staying and having a holiday and a motorhome is better at touring. Its a bit like chalk and cheese. I have commented on it on my own blog at Link Removed

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Very difficult question we have had caravans but currently have a motorhome.

If you have a good tow car at the moment then you will certainly get a more reliable caravan for your £4000, but as said you are nearly certain to have to pay site fees.

As for heating most caravans have heaters that run off calor or electric hook up and are capable of making a van comfortably warm even in this adverse weather.

A Motorhome of the age you are looking at may be different and requires investigation before purchase.

I think you are nearly at the stage of flipping a coin but good luck with your final choice

Alan

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
With that budget, you are really looking at a caravan. A 4k motorhome will not be very nice at all, especially as you will be living in it.

You could get a fairly comfortable caravan for that money. Even if you have to ask a friend to tow it to it's location - once it is there, you can then look for a tow car later.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
One critical bit of information missing is what car, if any, do you have now? If the £4k has to buy a suitable towcar you are reducing options still further.

I was with a contractor in the UK who does what it sounds like you are doing. For him he needed a vehicle to get around while he was doing his job, and could not up sticks every tme he wanted his home to be his vehicle.

he chose the caravan option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back