Motorhome tyres (1 Viewer)

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
yes - made sure I checked them when they arrived! marked Agilis camping / CP etc.

Manufactured in Poland, 2013

Prices are fluctuating - your link to mytyres has £145 today?

£ against the euro?

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
yes - made sure I checked them when they arrived! marked Agilis camping / CP etc.

Manufactured in Poland, 2013

Prices are fluctuating - your link to mytyres has £145 today?

£ against the euro?

Spot on :thumb:
Broken Link Removed

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Just had my new tyres fitted, old Michelin Camping ones were dated june 07. One of the rears had sidewall cracks which looked even worse when when the fitter was taking it off the rim. :whatthe: The tread was still very good after 39K miles. Fronts were worn but had no sidewall cracks visible at all. Wear pattern on all of them were even which was good. Fitter confirmed that they were definitely due for replacement. He used air jacks which made the job very straightforward.

New Michelin Agilis tread pattern is much more "aggresive" than the old camper commercial style tread. Hopefully better on wet grass! :Smile:

Will get tracking checked when van is serviced next month.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Tyres "minefield"!

I have had various quotes for Continental, Michelin agilis (both camping) and Goodyear (not camping tyre). It was suggested by a local garage that if I am using the van all year round (which we are) then I wouldn't necessarily need a camping tyre.

So should I be looking at a "non-camping" quality tyre that does the job or should I be replacing them with a quality camping tyre? I currently have the original Michelin camping tyres on the van, but will be changing them soon.

Another garage said he had fitted a quality camping tyre to a motorhome recently based on the fact that the motorhome wasn't going to be doing much mileage. Help! I am now very confused:Doh:

Any clarification would be very much appreciated, as this is the first time I've had to think about replacing tyres.

Thanks in advance, Bill

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you have some strange tyre dealers near you. Motorhome tyres are designed for vehicles which are running more less fully laden all the time. The average white van runs at a much lower mass so does not need the higher specification tyre.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Tyre

:Doh: Ive had my motorhome from new (Sprinter 316 Phantom) it needs new tyres but I read you should but the recommended tyres from the manufactures on which are Continental 225/70/15 which was on the motorhome when I pick it up new (the tyres are standard not motorhome ones )what should I do .I have shopped around and can get Continental standard ones with the grading B,B, and the weight for the axles for £110.37 fitted each :Blush::thumb:HELP PLEASE

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
:Doh: Ive had my motorhome from new (Sprinter 316 Phantom) it needs new tyres but I read you should but the recommended tyres from the manufactures on which are Conti 225/70/15 which was on the motorhome when I pick it up new (the tyres are standard not motorhome ones )what should I do .I have shopped around and can get standard ones with the grading B,B, and the weight for the axles for £110.37 fitted each :Blush::thumb:HELP PLEASE

Like you we have had some good prices quoted for certain makes, however, it's just that I am getting conflicting reports and advice from garages around me as to whether I actually need camping tyres on not:Doh:
I use the van all year round, but before spending the money on two new camping tyres........do I really need them on the van, or could I get two quality non camping tyres that will still do the job without comprising safety etc.

I spoke to one local garage today who deals in hgv/tractor/vans and he said he could give me a quality Goodyear "non camping" tyre that had a higher spec than other quality "camping" tyres.........thus the confusion!

Bill

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Tyres

Ive been to 6 tyre places now and only one said about the camping tyre but my tyres are 225/70/15 they could not get that tyre size up in Continental and others the tyre which is on my at the moment is 6 plié and the new ones is 8 plié and the new grading in B,WET and B,FOR ROAD HOLDING :Eeek:

Last edited:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
tyres

I have just had my van [mh] serviced as I do every year at Halfords. they advised me the two front tyres were getting low I e [2.5 but they were still legal . so I enquired around and was given all sorts of ridiculous prices at one dealers I told them it was tyres I wanted not a new motorhome. finally a company in wakefield supplied and fitted them for £138 for the two brand new balanced and everything.the size 225/75 16 c needless to say I was over the moon steve:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You don't need camping tyres. Our van came new with Vanco Four Season tyres but of the non-camping flavour. Camping tyres are still a relatively new idea and of limited availability.

I would suggest you will be fine with good quality standard tyres, you just need to be aware they may be running nearer their upper limits than dedicated camping tyres - but the majority of MHs have these sorts of tyres and always have done.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
:Doh: Ive had my motorhome from new (Sprinter 316 Phantom) it needs new tyres but I read you should but the recommended tyres from the manufactures on which are Continental 225/70/15 which was on the motorhome when I pick it up new (the tyres are standard not motorhome ones )what should I do .I have shopped around and can get Continental standard ones with the grading B,B, and the weight for the axles for £110.37 fitted each :Blush::thumb:HELP PLEASE

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m27b0s586...inch_R15_inch_-_215_70_15_215_70R15_CP_Camper

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This report, although a few years old now so may not be applicable to current tyres shows a dramatic difference between the stopping performance of different tyres. The worst took over 50% longer to stop than the best.
Link Removed

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Like you we have had some good prices quoted for certain makes, however, it's just that I am getting conflicting reports and advice from garages around me as to whether I actually need camping tyres on not:Doh:
I use the van all year round, but before spending the money on two new camping tyres........do I really need them on the van, or could I get two quality non camping tyres that will still do the job without comprising safety etc.

I spoke to one local garage today who deals in hgv/tractor/vans and he said he could give me a quality Goodyear "non camping" tyre that had a higher spec than other quality "camping" tyres.........thus the confusion!

Bill

Personally, and for my own peace of mind, I would fit the OE tyres.
That is, camping tyres, regardless of the extra cost.

That is only my opinion and I am sure others will differ. ::bigsmile:

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I've lost count off the number of threads on this subject on various forums.
There are people around with tyre industry experience who have posted that this reletively recent trend for camping specific tyres is just a money maker for the industry because we are all gullible and love chucking money at our vans.
I think there may be an element of truth in this & I see a lot of people quoting the manufacturers sales pitch.Probably slightly biased tho imo:thumb:
Personally, I would rather fit something like Vanco Camping as they don't cost a great deal more & feedback is very good from people who've bought them.
Independent informed opinion is the thing I look for but having said that, from shopping around for camping tyre prices it seems to me that if you need a tyre in a hurry it will be availability not price that will be the stumbling block.
That's when most of us will opt for a commercial tyre with the appropriate load rating because we need a tyre available at that time.
Not really a problem.
Makes me chuckle when people keep saying that a camping tyre with a load rating of say, 109 can withstand that load for longer than a commercial tyre of the same rating. WHAT!
A tyre load rating surly refers to the load it's capable of safely handling,end of story.
I wonder if light commercial drivers have stop watches on the dash so that they can be rid of nasty heavy items ASAP. It's probably why they all drive so fast::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the problem as i see it is that people spend the equivalent of buying a 2 bed flat on their motorhome then quibble about spending an extra £10 - £20 a tyre to buy something designed for the purpose. you cant help some people as their wallet rules their head. bet they will be quick to complain that the handling of the van is off or that the tyres didnt last

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
the problem as i see it is that people spend the equivalent of buying a 2 bed flat on their motorhome then quibble about spending an extra £10 - £20 a tyre to buy something designed for the purpose. you cant help some people as their wallet rules their head. bet they will be quick to complain that the handling of the van is off or that the tyres didnt last
Can't argue with that , good point well made. All I'm saying is the super dooper camping version may not always be available at the time when you need one and if the alternative is an adequately load rated commercial tyre then it's not actually worth getting in a flap about:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Except some didn't spend a 2 bed flat's worth. New tyres for mine (sorely needed due to age, rather than tread) would cost 1/3rd the price I paid for the van if I spent it on overpriced "camping" tyres. I'd rather get M+S all terrain tyres for mine.

I'm thinking of getting 7 Toyo Open Country A/T LT225/75R16 115Q. The heaviest axle requires a 105 rating. I believe you should go for a tyre at least 3 over the minimum required to reduce sidewall damage, even if legally not required. I also believe you need to downrate an additional 3 for dually configuration if not specified by the manufacturer (i.e. a 115 should be considered a 115/112).

Also considering a H/T tyre, for better fuel economy and noise, but the A/T is a good compromise and I never go much over 50mph and have an affinity for muddy fields.

However, compared to a "camper" tyre, these should be pretty robust, MUCH better in mud and snow, easier to find emergency replacement, better looking and much cheaper.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph's looking for 4x Michelin agilis camping tyres.
The best price fitted so far has been £628 .
The size he's after are 215/r75 16c by the way.
£131 each to buy from camskill.
Does anyone know anywhere better please ?
We're not desperate but would like to replace the ones we have before summer when we plan on going out in the van for a couple of weeks touring. The treads perfectly ok , but they are getting on a bit now. So need to come off.
Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Except some didn't spend a 2 bed flat's worth. New tyres for mine (sorely needed due to age, rather than tread) would cost 1/3rd the price I paid for the van if I spent it on overpriced "camping" tyres. I'd rather get M+S all terrain tyres for mine.

I'm thinking of getting 7 Toyo Open Country A/T LT225/75R16 115Q. The heaviest axle requires a 105 rating. I believe you should go for a tyre at least 3 over the minimum required to reduce sidewall damage, even if legally not required. I also believe you need to downrate an additional 3 for dually configuration if not specified by the manufacturer (i.e. a 115 should be considered a 115/112).

Also considering a H/T tyre, for better fuel economy and noise, but the A/T is a good compromise and I never go much over 50mph and have an affinity for muddy fields.

However, compared to a "camper" tyre, these should be pretty robust, MUCH better in mud and snow, easier to find emergency replacement, better looking and much cheaper.
i am not being rude or disparaging about owning older cheaper motorhomes. however you should buy what your budget will allow for and if that means fitting commercial van tyres with non reinforced sidewalls then so be it. yours is clearly an older us model, so i understand availability of sizes may be limited and for you the extra capabilities in mud or snow will play a part

modern motorhomes do benefit from the reinforced camper tyres, and therefore they play a part in making the driving experience more car like. you get less wallowing on cornering and they resist deforming by being parked up for weeks or months on end leading to reduced vibration. its not purely down to load capabilities on the tyres although this is a very important factor to consider

when you cut open a van tyre, the side wall is as thick as a pencil, but a camper tyre is nearly twice that to make it more rigid. advising people that commercial van tyres are just the same is not sensible. camper tyres were developed to cope with the specific application. much like aircraft tyres, they cost more due to volumes sold and the necessary r&d that went into them. why would tyre manufacturers spend millions developing something to do a job that was not necessary?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
i am not being rude or disparaging about owning older cheaper motorhomes. however you should buy what your budget will allow for and if that means fitting commercial van tyres with non reinforced sidewalls then so be it. yours is clearly an older us model, so i understand availability of sizes may be limited and for you the extra capabilities in mud or snow will play a part

modern motorhomes do benefit from the reinforced camper tyres, and therefore they play a part in making the driving experience more car like. you get less wallowing on cornering and they resist deforming by being parked up for weeks or months on end leading to reduced vibration. its not purely down to load capabilities on the tyres although this is a very important factor to consider

when you cut open a van tyre, the side wall is as thick as a pencil, but a camper tyre is nearly twice that to make it more rigid. advising people that commercial van tyres are just the same is not sensible. camper tyres were developed to cope with the specific application. much like aircraft tyres, they cost more due to volumes sold and the necessary r&d that went into them. why would tyre manufacturers spend millions developing something to do a job that was not necessary?

Simply not true. I certainly agree that camper tyres are slightly stronger than the same rated non-camper tyre. However, add a few to the load rating for the non-camper tyre and you've still got a better tyre for less money.

The idea that my "light truck" rated choice is un-reinforced compared to the consumer overpriced "camper" tyre is just the manufacturer's hope that you'll buy into their placebo marketing strategy.

The tyre I've chosen is rated to 1215kg, downrated to 1120kg for dually applications. It technically only needs 907kg. It isn't going to explode and the Michelin costs 40% more. And the Michelin isn't M+S rated, so you can't use in Europe in winter. If I went for a van tyre instead of an all terrain, it would be rated to 121/120, vastly in excess of the strength of the camper.

The marketing strategy of the camper is to sell a strong tyre with an understated load rating (worth extra about 5-10%) and then to sell for 40% more. It is cheaper to just buy a stronger tyre without the expensive badge.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
40% more ? NOT at all

16" Agilis £123
16" Agilis Camping £136

I was comparing with an alternative brand without a top brand premium. You are indeed right to point out that the difference between an already premium brand and its camping variant is considerably less.

My ire is equally distributed between paying for a name and then for their additional camping marketing! Indeed, if I was disposed to pay for the Michelin name already, the additional premium for the camper might actually be justified and there is no question that the tyre is reinforced beyond their claimed load rating.

OTOH, I'm more happy to go for a mid-market solution, where there is a good balance between reputation, ensuring good quality, and the market, forcing a low price. Hence, you'll find me buying Toyos and Avons, and not Michelins or Nankangs.

Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
The minefield continues. Sorry, a thread bump but one of interest. What would a recommendation be for a CP tyre, 225/75/R16 that has proven to be very capable at festivals, mud, wet grass on a 4t GVW MH? We went to Beautiful Days in Devon at the weekend, it rained but that always happens. Come Monday the ground was fine but as soon as the MH came off the Milenco grip tracks the N/S front sunk and just span. The tyres are currently Vanco CP's. I don't mind opting for CP, that's what's on it now, I just want a better cross tred pattern that is handy on anything wet and soft. Or I just buy a tow strap, shackles and accept my fate? :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back