Motorhome tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by knokinonabit, Jan 19, 2014.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Having just read the thread about 5th wheel tyres it reminded me of my little mishap just after New Year.

We left the Lytham St Annes area on our way home and joined the M55 at junction 3. Hadn't even got into top gear and realised we had a flat tyre. Rear axle, near side. Luckily we have a spare.
    After getting home safely I went to our friendly tyre dealer to order a new tyre as ours had a large slit in the side wall.
    That's when the Yorkshire War Cry could be heard all around the County.

'OW MUCH ? :Eeek:

The retail price should have been £250. Even the dealer was astounded.
    He did it for £195 and that was balanced and fitted.

I am still in shock. :cry:

2. Mel

Mel Funster

I just love the Yorkshire war cry.

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

hi there knockin if you pm me your no.i will call you.do you have the tyre size?:thumb:
    regards brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and i bet Brians price is a lot less than £250. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Go Tyrebookers.com :Smile:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi knokinonabit

Just had six 225x75x16 Continental fourseasons fitted in Middlesbrough £174 each fitted balanced etc, C&S tyres, other makes are cheaper, if you had them done in Stokesley he is expensive.

Martin

7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I know C&S are cheaper, but it is the faff on getting there that puts me off. Platinum are on my doorstep and I can leave the MH if necessary and walk home.
    I think the fact that they are Michelin Agilis and say Camping on the side that puts the price up.
    The reason that I had a Michelin was to match in with the others, that had only done 7k miles. When I have to renew them all I will definitely be looking around for a better deal.

8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Thanks for the offer Brian.
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I am knocking the house about at the moment and haven't been on line. I'm sitting in a pile of rubble as I type this.

The tyre is Michelin Agilis Camping 225/75/16 CP.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i will say it again here.... camping tyres cost more because the side walls are much thicker and reinforced to handle the constant loaded conditions of a motorhome. commercial van tyres are cheaper but less safe and will often fail prematurely due to thinner less reinforced walls allowing them to compress and crease

if you travel high mileage with your motorhome the cheap tyres tread will hopefully wear out before failure. if you do low mileage you would be safer with a proper reinforced tyre

changing the tyres from the specified one on there from new MAY invalidate your insurance. just hope you never cause a major crash by penny pinching. insurance assesors and police will check the tyres as a matter of procedure after an accident causing injury or a write off

these vans cost many thousands but then cutting corners with safety to save a couple of quid is absolutely mad as far as i am concerned

• Like Like x 3
  10. funflair

Hi, nobody here is discussing cutting corners with tyre safety Michelin and Continental are among the best tyres you can get but the price can vary from dealer to dealer without compromising safety.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I certainly have no intention of cutting corners, but I will definitely be doing my best to save some money on the like for like replacements, as and when they need renewing.
    Just because I would like cheaper does not mean that I want inferior.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

just a for instance point

conti four seasons are high quality tyres but not reinforced for motothomes. people who have no idea about the issues buy "quality" tyres from top brands thinking they have done well and saved money but still got a top brand

i am not talking about the large number of unknown chinese brand tyres out there. i am talking about people saving money by unknowingly buying unsuitable tyres for the application.

the fact that major brands have invested in designing testing and manufacturing a tyre specific to the application should be a clue that they are needed. they cost more because of the comparable low numbers sold and extra manufacturing that goes into them

sorry you seem to think that pointing out the difference has no relevance but it does. the op was concerned with the high price of motorhome tyres and unsuitable alternatives were mentioned

• Like Like x 2
  13. funflair

I agree that the Conti fourseasons are not specifically motorhome tyres but with a 121 load index they are well on top of the job I am asking of them and they were fitting them to £200K motorhomes when we visited the factory in Germany. And I have not saved any cash as they are more expensive than Michelin camping, I selected them because they have a better snow rating than the Michelin camping tyre, I still have the camping to put back on in the summer if I wish.

I understand what you say about specific camping tyres but is this not a response to the fact that many motorhomes are running around close or over their weight limit, again we are not even near our limit on front or rear axle and are running less than 70% of the tyre rating and well within the vehicle rating.

My personal opinion is that they dont need to be camping tyres BUT they do need to be on top of the job, I believe that when our truck was built camping tyres had not even been thought of as it came on standard Michelin Agilis 81.

No offence taken by the way.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  14. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We are getting close to the stage of replacing the two front tyres on our Datoka. The original Michelin camping tyres are on at the moment, all are legal, but the front two will need replaced in the near future.
    At the local garage the other day I was quoted £113 plus vat for Hancooks,
    Continental Vanco Camper £135 plus vat, and the Michelin Camper £158 plus vat. But these prices inc. fitting and balancing.
    Interesting thread because I haven't started to shop around yet, but enquired when getting diesel at our local garage the other day.

Regards, Bill

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  15. scottie58

scottie58 Read Only Funster

Try tyre leader - German company with fitting centres in the uk. Amazing prices!

16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Thanks for this, hadn't heard of them at all. They have a place in Dumfries, so will check out some prices:thumb:

Bill

17. funflair

Check your axle weights at a weighbridge and check the load rating of the various tyres and then shop around for a good price on the Michelin or Continentals :Laughing:

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  18. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

We had 4 new continental camper tyres fitted in October. These were ordered trough Blackcircles.com. They were just shy of £500 which included fitting and you can choose to have them fitted at a garage to suit you. It may be worth a look as we had ours fitted just a couple of miles from our home, we live in a rural location so were surprised that it was so close.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Continental Vanco (the real deal camper tyres) £117.50 fitted locally UK wide, www.tyrebookers.com :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  20. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just had another price from a local garage today, Michelin Agilis £140 plus vat and the Continental Vanco camper £129 plus vat. Prices inc. balancing and fitting.
    This gives me a few more options before I take the plunge, but Tyreleader looks to have the best price.

Thanks to everyone for their input:thumb:

Bill

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014