Motorhome Tyre Pressure

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BONZO, Oct 19, 2015.

1. BONZO

BONZO Funster

I have a little sticker on my door that says my tyre presher should be 79 psi is that about right it seems high to me I'm running at 60 psi at moment my van is p/boxer autocruse 3.400 ton what do u guys run at ?

2. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We have a swift bolero (3.5ton) and run on 80psi so about the same as you. I was shocked when I first saw it too. :Eeek:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As advised in the Hymer hand book
    5.5 bar (79 psi) all round .. MAM 4,000kg

Tyre size 215/75 R16 Load index 113/111N

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

After you have been to the weighbridge and have true figures for both axles when you are fully loaded, get in touch with the tyre manufacturer quoting the axle weights and see what they recommend.

The plate in ours is for the base vehicle running with a van body and van tyres. Continental gave us lower recommended tyre pressures and now we are using those the ride is much much better. I'm sure there is information in the resources section on this.

Yep here is a link: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tyres-continental-225-75-r16-cp-116r.142/

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

This is an old 'chesnut' on MotorhomeFun and you will receive many varied replies. I have a Fiat PVC max 3.5 and I took advice from Continental, they sent me a fact sheet and advised using actual axle weight as appropriate. Here is acopy of the sheet the engineer sent if it is of any use to you. By the way I run at 55 front 60 rear and the ride is MUCH more comfortable and the tyres lasted for 30000 miles on the front with even wear (back only half worn) gctyres.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Polar bear

Polar bear Funster

I had the tyres on my 4t Apache set at 79 and had two tyres blow at sixty mph now set at 69 and running fine and now get an extra two miles per gallon

7. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Hi Chockswahay
    Do you have the Continental recommendation for 225/75 R16 please?

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

4,000kg Mercedes A class. Front 55psi rear 65 psi as recommended by the manufacturer works fine for me.

9. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I don't, but it looks like @Cossieg has (y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We run on Continental winter tyres on our Bolero - weight uprated to 3850kg - and on advice from Continental use 54 psi front and 65 psi rear. They actually look a little under-inflated when fully loaded but have been using these numbers for 4/5 years with no problems and acceptable, even tyre wear (you can't expect fantastic mileage from winter tyres used all the year round but I'm happy).

Fitted TyrePal last year before going to Morocco and monitored the temps - all within normal limits.

At 80psi ours was skittish and the ride was , well, firm!

• Like Like x 3
  12. BONZO

BONZO Funster

I think I will run at 65psi all round iv been running at60psi fot 4years now and had no problems I don't want to feel every bump in our lovely roads lol .thank you for your input it has reassured me . John n Linda

• Like Like x 1
  13. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I ran ours at the sticker pressure for about fifty miles, 1st I had my fillings checked, 2nd cleared the smashed crockery out of the cupboards, 3rd lowered the pressure :LOL:
    60psi front, 65psi rear, 2bar in the air suspension.(y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It does depend on the make of tyre you have. Fairly easy with Continental but don't assume other makes should run at the same pressures. The only way is to consult the tyre manufacturer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Good advice from @DBK as always :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Never heard that before..

I stand to be corrected.. but always thought that for any given tyre size, identical size and ratings, (on the same application) the pressures would be the same, irrespective of manufacturer.

Correct tyre pressures are generally determined by the vehicle manufacturer

17. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I used to think that too, but then I learned about the recommendations from Continental which for my PVC are much lower than the handbook says. On my 225/75 R16 C tyres the handbook says 5.2 bar front and rear. Continental say 3.25 bar - a massive difference. I've now done several thousand miles with them on the lower setting and they are fine with no abnormal wear patterns which might suggest under-inflation. At 5.2 bar you could tell if a penny was heads or tails if you ran over it but at 3.25 bar it is much more comfortable.

18. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Thank you Cossieg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

For ours 225/75 16R the fiat book says 5.5 bar front & rear, continental recommend front 3.75 bar rear 5.5 bar, will give that a trial.

20. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

The weight of a car doesn't change all that much between driver only & fully laden. Some car manufacturers give fully laden and driver only pressures, some just the one set.

Commercial vehicles are rather different. The base vehicle leaving the original manufactured is frequently further modified & may enter service with a range of actual weights that differ from the maximum design weight of the original manufacturer. Motorhomes being a good example. My Fiat Ducato LWB Maxi body has a design weight something in excess of 4 tonnes - I can't remember the exact figure. But as converted, it has a MIRO of 3.04T & a MAM of 3.5T. All Fiat can do is give the recommended pressures for the tyres they fit at the design weight - they don't know that it will never reach those weights.

I haven't seen any tyre makers pressure/axle weight tables for car tyres, but they certainly exist for van & truck tyres. I have the tables for both Pirelli & Continental van tyres.

Interestingly, comparing the figures for 225/70 R 16 CP - the camper tyres from both makers, the pressures they give for the various axle weights are identical - almost. Pirelli only quote a single set of figures, while Continental differentiate between front & rear axle. Their rear axle pressures are higher than the Pirelli figures, the fronts are the same as Pirelli, although Pirelli do say that the pressure should be increased for rear wheel drive use.

At my actual axle loadings when close to MAM, the pressure figures are markedly lower than the Fiat maximum load figures. Fiat suggest 5.5 bar, but Pirelli & Continental both suggest 3.0 at the front & 4.0 rear. Hardly surprising when I'm carrying around a tonne less than Fiat are allowing for. At 5.5 bar the tyres would be good for a MAM of about 4.8T.

• Like Like x 2