Motorhome storeage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by combi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. combi

combi Read Only Funster

Hi to all.

A local farmer has offered to store my motorhome for the winter in his barn. I have been to look and it appears to be ideal,nice and dry with a hard floor.

My question is should I cover it with a proper motorhome cover or just leave it and if I cover it any recommendations as to what cover I should buy.

Many thanks

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

insurance cover is more important than a motorhome cover.....

check its ok to store it there with your insurers.....many insist on properly insured and secure premises.

if its ok with them then yes, i would cover it to keep the crud and wind blown dust off and also put down rat bait/mouse traps and check them regularly....a rotting mouse/rat stinks but not as bad as burning wiring when its been chewed through by the little buggers.

3. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Go to Spain for the winter a lot easier:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Sound advice,:thumb: My insurance company wanted to know exactly where mine was being stored. When I suggested an enclosed vehicle holding compound they refused to quote.:Cool:
    As soon as I booked it in with Church Farm Gold award they were happy.:thumb:

5. Mavis

Mavis Funster

Be careful with Mice they love M/Homes in the winter in a barn they ate through everything in my friends even seat belts.
    The mattress in the Luton stunk and had been well eaten as they nested on it.:cry:

6. Lamby55

Lamby55 Funster

Motorhome storage

I have a large drive but with a lot of trees, I was planning to keep my MH at home but with a cover. Thinking about it, the cover may scratch the MH especially the windows.
    Should I keep it at home, covered or uncovered or keep it elsewhere and have to trust somebody else?

7. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Exactly the same as us, trees...so we covered it, and the cover wore away some paint and flattened it. The problem is, our drive is very windy, so the cover was always being moved...may as well have been sandpaper:cry:.
    It took forever to bring up any semblance of shine, and on the GRP section, no chance!
    Unless it was an absolute tailor fit, I would,nt bother........I,m not going to bother anyway now with the MH, I,ll just give it a good winter polish, hose it down every couple of weeks,..job done.

8. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

If you are going to cover a motorhome, use a 'breathable' one - it won't keep it dry, but will fend off most nasties and allow airflow through the cover.

These are best used where there is a semblence of shelter - they will rip in high winds - having had one on a classic car is a windy area, it was destroyed after two years, but the car paint was surprisingly untouched and unmarked.

With a motorhome, I would suggest padding the edges of the roof to stop rubbing that may occur, and if you are concerned with the windoes being scratched, pop down your local paint supplier and get some Hippo Floor covering (sticky plastic like you find on the floor of motorhomes at the dealer) It is cheap, and will cover the windows and protect from scratching.

I have heard of people evading the mice by using long astro turf under the wheels, as they believe the mice find it difficult to walk on....cannot vouch for it, but like all these things it might work, might not!

9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

have you tried using a silicon based boat hull polish? it worked wonders on my old caravan front after being "flaterned" by the cover. I T cutted it lightly first then severail layers of polish:thumb:

10. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

"I have heard of people evading the mice by using long astro turf under the wheels, as they believe the mice find it difficult to walk on....cannot vouch for it, but like all these things it might work, might not!"

I would,nt do this myself, i,m sure that initially it may work, but then once they get used to it, the mice may just try a lfew games of five a side, no real harm, but once they get used to it, you could have a champions league taking place, witht he mice using your MH for the facilities:Rofl1::Rofl1: