Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
The couple who have bought he van, I would assume are being treated as innocent purchasers.as such they have not bought the van , knowing or believing it was stolen.therefore are not guilty of handling stolen goods.
The van still belongs to you, but because they are innocent purchasers, it may go to inter pleader, which basically means a court will decide if the couple should have any claim,on the van.
Your original insurance should pay out on the van, that is why the police are trying to get you to settle because they don't want o get involved in the interpleader

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Just saw that you were not insured, that will make a big difference.
Basically as I see it.
It's still your property, but because the new owners have spent money on it they will have some claim, it's down to the court to decide.you will always be entitled to the van back, but its how much the court decide the new owners are due.
Remember they have paid their Money for a van that was stolen, so you have both lost out

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So how have the new owners got a valid V5 registration , if it came from the person who stole it how did they verify he was the owner . Was it taxed, if not when they tried to tax it wont it come up stolen on the database
In how many places does it say NOT to buy a vehicle without a V5 ?

I was going to buy an Audi (before HPi checks) from a guy who swore he had lost the V5. I even had to watch the show of him pretending to be looking around the house for the V5......

So I went to the local police station and they told me it was not reported stolen but was registered to somebody else.

The guy kept pestering me so I asked him why it was not registed in his name ? Turned out he had 'aquired' the vehicle and did have the V5 but it was not re-registered in his name.

I just felt this was not worth the risk so told him to shove it.....:thumb:

Moral is no V5 no buy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

bigkev2000

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
What would happen if he Simply turned up with the keys, the vehicle registration document and took it home? Also it is his legal property shouldn't he re-insure it?
They have cloned the motorhome it was a fiat ducat to and now it is a Peugeot they have put a complete new steering colum and wheel and change the door barrels as well so the keys I hold will not fit

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We bought a car from a dealer and sold it onto a Customer in good faith. 6 weeks later he had a visit from the police to inspect the car and it turned out to be stolen. They took the car off him so he ended up with no car and £4000 down - we obviously reimbursed him the £4000 so we ran at a loss.Never got the car back & was told by the police the car would be returned to its previous owner , we had no rights over it whatsoever.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We bought a car from a dealer and sold it onto a Customer in good faith. 6 weeks later he had a visit from the police to inspect the car and it turned out to be stolen. They took the car off him so he ended up with no car and £4000 down - we obviously reimbursed him the £4000 so we ran at a loss.Never got the car back & was told by the police the car would be returned to its previous owner , we had no rights over it whatsoever.

You had rights against the dealer though.

If it was less than 6 years ago and the dealer still exists, you still do.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
eBay auction

I had a thought that the rules changed a bit regarding ownership if they bought at public auction.
I understood they have ownership rights if bought at auction but not via a mate or general advert etc

Am I confused?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if it was me and I could get back 60% of its value I would take the money, lifes not worth the hassel sometimes, and as you say its been altered so in reality how much could you sell it for.

fisrt loss is the best loss, take the money and have a drink.

Good luck,

PS did you ever go to Camber Sands

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its very easy to give advice when the outcome does not affect yourself in any way so please accept this only as an observation and not intended to be anything other than the way i would look at it if i were unlucky ehough to be in the same circumstances.

2 years ago you lost a shed load of cash i.e. ( stolen motorhome )

over the last 2 years that was written off in your head and your bank account.

it turning up now and having a value could be treated as an unexpected windfall, so whatever you get for it you certainly did not expect ever to see again.

the fact that you still legally own it allows you to press for a reasonable cash return.

if you fight it: what will that cost both financially ( storage, legal bills etc ) and your time and sanity. deduct that from its current market value taking account that its been altered and selling it to someone else is going to take putting it bavk to original ( more cost and hassle ) and you have to find a new buyer ( bird in the hand and all that ).
of course if its a derisory offer or you have some form of legal cover then that might put a different picture on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back