Motorhome shower trays (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Is there anyone out there that has had problems with their motorhome shower tray breaking up or cracking as I seem to be very unlucky with our one. We had our van conversion done in July 2011 and by late summer last year the shower was unusable as water was leaking through onto the floor. We took it back to the conversion company in December and the tray was replaced with a (supposedly) stronger one. I have now seen cracks appearing after just a few hours use and it will have to be replaced again. If my wife and I were a couple of ten ton tessies I would understand it but we are are quite light on our feet and no we do not party in the shower!!:ROFLMAO:
If anyone out there can recommend a company in the Suffolk/Norfolk area that can do this kind of work I would be pleased to hear from you. kind regards ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Tends to happen through a lack of support under the tray. I have heard of people filling the space under the tray with aerosol expanding foam so as to support it over it's whole area.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
Tends to happen through a lack of support under the tray. I have heard of people filling the space under the tray with aerosol expanding foam so as to support it over it's whole area.

we had ours break on a brand new hobby, when the dealer replaced it that's what he did and it made a massive difference :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It's funny this coming up now I was just about to post on this.

I have a self build which I live full time in. The shower tray is the bathroom/toilet floor so it gets hammered. I must be in the 5-10 times a day for toilet, teeth brushing, hand washing etc.

Anyway, when I built it I made a wooden frame that supported it all the way round and under. I used a high density foam for support in the corners and use a very thin layer of spray foam to support the grooves on the base..

This last week or so I have started to notice fine cracks starting to appear. These cracks are not limited to places where there is possibility that the support has broken down or something. They are all over the place. They are not leaking or anything but don't look pretty.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how well a shower tray is fitted these days they will crack eventually given enough footfall.

I think it is down to the cheapness of the plastic to be honest. It did seem a touch on the flimsy side if you ask me.

As you are not a fulltimer I would expect a shower tray to be installed well enough not to need maintenance for at least 10 years though. When you get it replaced ensure that the base it is fitted to is clean, flat and free of any imperfections. When fitting check for any small air gaps under the base and along the lower corners and get these filled with something that will support the weight without damaging the plastic. An make sure the base is sitting flat on the floor and not support by the upper lip. All pretty much common sense but I am suprised by the number of vans I have been in where there is give in the floor of the shower.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Our shower tray cracked a couple of months ago, managed to seal the crack for now, ordered a new one, now I think maybe I'll reinforce it with fibre glass before I get it fitted.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I use Witeley caravan (and M/H ) services, Zobel close, Norwich, NR3 2BY. 01603 488884, Robin is a long time service?repair company and I use him all the time, habitation checks etc, give him a ring.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There are a few products which you can buy to do it yourself, or other companies who can do a repair for you by supported the underside of the tray and then re-coating it, just google for a good choice.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I met a guy called Neil at the Newark show. He does shower tray repairs, and going by the display item he had on show the repairs look very good. I have added his website onto my link page on my website if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back