motorhome shower tray issues

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by sl190k, Jun 28, 2012.

1. sl190k

sl190k Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I have a Hymer C546, 2004. The shower tray has developed a couple of cracks. Hymer has quoted £500 for a new tray, and around £1500 pounds to strip everything out and replace the tray.

I have been given information in regards to a company that will spay a new layer onto the existing tray ( about 2 - 3 mm thick). See link below.

Question is has anyone heard of this or even used them?

http://www.speedcoateuro.com/productfaq.html

Thanks in advance
    Ian Jones

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Sounds good but you need to address why it cracked in the first place :Eeek::BigGrin:
    terry

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

this is the same stuff they spray in pickup trucks and fridge vans.... absolutely brilliant as it is flexible and heals itself with regard to scratches

have heard of speedcoat before, but not used them personally, there are other people that do this so geta few quotes first

4. sl190k

sl190k Read Only Funster

Terry,
    thanks for the reply. I have had the cracks for about 12 months, think they were caused by the two severe winters we had, van is stored outsude and temp. went down to-18C

Ian

5. Terry

Terry Funster

I doubt that :Eek!: more likely to be the shower tray is moving around on its base :Eeek: Ask the spray people if you drill a couple of holes and inject expanding foam into said holes, if there stuff will seal the holes :thumb: I think it would :Wink:eek:r seal with Sikaflex type stuff then let them seal :thumb: Got to be better than 2k :Wink:
    terry

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Just to add a few thoughts, I agree with Terry - check why it's cracked first. I think UV in the sunlight may harden the plastic and make it more brittle, but my guess would be a degradation of the mounting for the tray. Some vans had them bedded on a kind of foam I believe (N+B for one) and this has been known to break down allowing the tray to flex.
    I have read good reports of Branfibre (the company, not the cereal). They are just down the road from me, but a bit of a trip for you. Might be worth giving them a call though.

http://www.branfibre.co.uk/

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Add another "unlikely" vote. You need to get the tray out to see what is going wrong underneath and when it's out it's easy to slap on a layer of fibreglass. First press hard to see if it indeed flexing.

The Germans know how to engineer a van, I had the shower cubical out of ours very easily - to cure a frost damaged shower tap. Loads of screws but well thought out.

8. Terry

Terry Funster