Motorhome Security

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PP Bear, Apr 19, 2013.

1. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Found this on the net. Was looking for ideas ref security etc and it looks a good idea too, so I thought I'd share it with my fellow Funsters :BigGrin:

Basic outline is that you log on with them, give them a 7 digit security number (post code, name reg number etc) and they register it, then send you them in large format for you to stick on the roof for mr plod to find......simples

www.skytag.co.uk

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Is mr Plod really going to get out in his £3000 per hour twin engined squirrel, or his McDonnell Douglas 'notar' helicopter to go find a stolen vehicle?

Craig

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I would have thought the reg number on the roof would have been sufficient?

• Like Like x 1
  4. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Realistically you would need to know the road the vehicle was travelling on for the police to respond. More likely to be of use if used in conjunction with a tracker. On its own pretty ineffective.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

If we put letters on the top of any of our vehicles the only people we would tell would be our local police and only if it had been stolen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PP Bear

Thanks Craig, that's helpful:Doh:

7. PP Bear

One of my friends (a tugger not a motorhomer) told me today, that he has a sign in the back window that reads.....

"If you can read this sign please call the police as I've been stolen"

He simply takes the sign out when he leaves with the van. Probably nothing but it makes him feel good and MAY just save his pride and joy:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I thought that as you were in HM forces, you may have known what a twin engined squirrel, was, or that 'notar' meant no tail rotor, sorry , i didn't realise.

Craig

9. PP Bear

It's just another means of POSSIBLY getting your pride and joy back and not that expensive either.

The only way to be as sure as possible is to have a tracker, but they're quite expensive and not something we all think about until it's too late:cry:

10. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

takes up to 5 times longer to remove than standard graphics....

it'll take a hell of a lot longer if you get on the roof with a roll of masking tape and a tin
    of black gloss paint.

as simsy56 said, the police cant afford to scramble their helicopter just to find one stolen vehicle unless its being driven dangerously, wont stop or been used in a robbery and is too dangerous for police to pursue etc

so, unless you know of any 14ft tall coppers it is a waste of time and money

13. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I think if you're serious about protecting your motorhome then you need a blended approach to security.
    Firstly .. good locks in addition to standard ones and consider cat locks too for your exhaust.
    A decent immobiliser and alarm designed for your type of vehicle and installed correctly
    A tracker. The best types imho being the ones that incorporate gps, gsm and rf.
    Cost is obviously a consideration and simple solutions such as security posts on your driveway a decent un-obvious key storage point in your house, wheel clamp and/or pedal or steering wheel lock may be all you need. I have a cctv system that emails me a photo instantly a picture of anyone on the drive. I can watch it live from my phone and listen live also. A roof sticker is not going to prevent theft and is unlikely to assist in recovery without a tracker.