Motorhome security (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Looking to fit wheel clamp steering wheel cover or clutch lock. Which is best and which make and model.
Thanks

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
If you have screen covers then a steering wheel cover or clutch lock are not much of a deterrent. We use a Milenco wheel clamp, on the drive, but do not carry it with us.

We also have an alarm which seems to be the referred option for many

OP
OP
W
Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
We have got an alarm but feel the need for more security in light of recent motorhomes been stolen from peoples drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Have a look on "youtube" when you have a short list.

I am sure there will be a few clips on how easy or hard they are to by-pass.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I went to local yacht chandler and had him make me up a length of 6mm PVC coated wire cable c/w eyes at either end . made it long enough to loop around both door handles and lock with a padlock.It cost me £12.00 plus £7.50 for the padlock
The motorhome can still be driven away if required. We also have a Fiamma "D" door lock/handle.
Whenever we leave the motorhome both are used and alarm set

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would think that the only motrohomes taken off drives are taken with keys, so don't leave key to whatever security device you buy attached to the same key ring as the van keys :whatthe:

you cant be too safe, but basic security probably wins most times, make it hard to get at, block it in, security lights etc

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Time youve paid for all that you may as well pay that bit extra and go to Eddie Vanbitz and get his non starter fitted. The rascals wont be getting away with your pride and joy and you'll know exactly where it is. Had one fitted and I'm a big fan.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Can i ask some advice please folks? Be patient...I have not told Kev! I want to get something done for him whilst he is having a bit of treatment ! I know he worries about losing our latest MH to rogues !! We have only just took it on !

I am thinking on the idea of a battery isolator for when our MH is in storage. I know the Sergeant system has a button which shuts everything down to protect the battery etc but...What about the idea of isolating the starter from being used at all just in case of the "Stripey PaJama" group attempting to pinch it? I know it would be easy enough to take off the battery, but how do you lock it up if it has central locking governed by the battery? As I say...kev would know but....
with Kev away for a few days ...We want to surprise him when He comes back from Hospital .
There are folk out there who could do this stuff easily, but Oliver (his son) and I want to do it between us. Any advice please?
Carolyn

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Can i ask some advice please folks? Be patient...I have not told Kev! I want to get something done for him whilst he is having a bit of treatment ! I know he worries about losing our latest MH to rogues !! We have only just took it on !

I am thinking on the idea of a battery isolator for when our MH is in storage. I know the Sergeant system has a button which shuts everything down to protect the battery etc but...What about the idea of isolating the starter from being used at all just in case of the "Stripey PaJama" group attempting to pinch it? I know it would be easy enough to take off the battery, but how do you lock it up if it has central locking governed by the battery? As I say...kev would know but....
with Kev away for a few days ...We want to surprise him when He comes back from Hospital .
There are folk out there who could do this stuff easily, but Oliver (his son) and I want to do it between us. Any advice please?
Carolyn
On mineYou can lock the doors with the key's if central locking not working

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Oliver has said with the battery disconnected..the only door that can be locked is the drivers side. The others seem to be connected electrically to the central locking? I know he has tried today by fitting a Isolator but it shuts down the truck entirely? Good but all the doors stop open! Bless him! He has asked if its possible to isolate the starter motor only?
Carolyn

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990

Carolyn

This might be suitable, battery disconnect from Halfords online, £10. The fuse keeps the vehicle electronics working.
249628.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You can get a battery isolator that fits to the battery negative. Can be fitted with a small fuse that bypasses the cut off so that radio, locking, alarm etc. still active but fuse will quickly blow if anyone attempts to start the engine.
Ah just seen a post by @Wagoneer showing what I was talking about.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Thank you guys for the information. Oliver (Kev's son) has just looked at the information you have given us and says its the way forward!
Cheers folks. Hope Kev does not find out! :clap2:
Carolyn

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Wicked!

Thanks ever so much for that. I am being asked...Does it isolate the starter only and leave the rest in tact?
Carolyn
As what @Pausim said. It's fixed to the negative terminal of the starter battery. You unscrew the handwheel with bolt attached and remove it from the vehicle to disable.
Ordered mine from Halfords and picked it up a couple of days later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back